The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Every 90 days update! Round THREE! UPDATE YOUR PROGRESS!

AHA! It is about that time again!

This is the third round for some so please say second/third or first round in your post if you are returning or just joining the chain!

Original post below>>>>>

Saw this on another forum.

You list your horses name and what you are currently doing training wise and then exactly 90 days from today we pull up this thread and post what we are working on and again and again and it creates a string you can look through of so much progress!

IS anyone interested?

Example: (this way you can do multiple horses)

My horse: Ginger
    Currently: Working on lengthening the trot and canter (1st level 1 test schooling), and some baby lateral work
    Last edited by NOMIOMI1; Nov. 4, 2012 at 02:51 PM.
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

1 members found this post helpful.

I'll play!

My horse: Pie
    Currently: Working on achieving uphill balance in the left lead canter. Increasing engagement in trot work with sf, baby renvers on circle. Practicing shortening/lengthening frame (stretch down then back up, repeat) while maintaining tempo and balance.
    Founder & President, Dapplebay, Inc.
    Creative Director, Equestrian Culture Magazine
    Take us to print!

I think this is a great idea!

Tia. just entering her in her first 4th level test 4-3. working on flying changes everyday as the left to right change has been really hard. Trot work is not as good as the canter work (as I have been focusing too much on the canter), sooooo going back to the basics in trot: like trot-walk-trot transitions, 20m circles, 3 loop serpentines. She knows all the "movements", but I want to get the same ridebility feeling in the trot as I have in the canter (like I can go a little forward, a little back, a little deep, a little up, a little shoulder fore, a little renvers and it is all easy and fun -like dancing).

CM just entering 4th test2. test 2 as I can't really have 2 horses at the same test. CM has shown PSG with me, but he needs a bit of reschooling to get him more sensitve. He also needs more fitness. So I am just schooling the basics. Lots of forward and back, trying to keep my leg off him 98% of the time and then get him instantly reactive from a soft leg touch. Also really focusing on straightness.

Great idea!

My horse: Feronia
    Working on: keeping her from going through her outside shoulder (her favorite evasion), starting trot lengthening, getting a more uphill and controlled canter, and more understanding that free walk and stretchy trot both involve contact and stretching *out* not just down. Have a pro on her once a week to help. Trailer loading an ongoing project. Working over poles a lot for adjustability at the trot. Starting to get ready for our first schooling show of the year, April 29. Anticipating two clinics in May... one a multi-day excursion to another barn for Mary Wanless, eep!
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Ill play though it seems most of my updates have been "Well Rex injured X today and will be down for at least 4 weeks" ugh...

My Horse: Rex
    Currently working on: Well when we are actually able to RIDE, its just basic w/t/c stuff. I started him lightly at 3.5 and 3 days before he turned 4 he broke his splint and was out for 7 months. He was getting brought back starting this Dec and we were doing really well and having really nice rides sans trainer and then he cut his left front open. We were going to debut our first under saddle show March 24 and show Intro while my trainer took him in Training but the cut on his leg ended that. Hoping maybe in May...? I know better than to make plans though!
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

Love this!

My horse is boarded at KrazyTBMare's barn

My Horse: Paddy
    Currently Working On: Got him in December. He was bucking and bolting continuously. Had massage and chiro work done...neck, back and stifle had issues. He was "off" for 2 - 3 months. Started riding again last week. Working on moving forward and staying straight. Hoping to compete in our first show (schooling) the end of May in Intro B.
    Heather
    Green Cove Springs, FL

Sure...what the hay...

My horse: Ham (aka, Hammie or The Hamstar)
    Working on: Everything?!? Seriously, somedays it feels like what are we NOT working on! We've accomplished a lot the past few months, though. Now that we are able to work regularly, he's no longer as locked up nor is he as heavy on my inside rein (usually!), his rhythm has been more consistent, and he's really learned how to carry himself with less help from me.

Our instructor usually only comes to our barn once every 3-4 weeks (she's 2 hours away), so we've been focusing a lot on bending to the inside and outside at the walk/trot on a circle with some leg yielding in and out (with me learning how to try and use my seat more effectively), and spiraling in and out on the circle. We've also been working a lot on our transitions (especially at the canter) and shortening and lengthening at trot. The coolest thing we've gotten to do recently was turning on the haunches and then going into a canter - that was fun! Last night we had two very good trot to walk transitions, and I was ecstatic. It truly is the little things that make me happy! The goal is to attempt Training Level this summer - not sure which tests, though. I'd like to do 2 and 3 if we are ready.

It's been so fun working with this horse. When I'm correct, everything with him pretty much falls into place. He's not a horse that requires you to think too hard - in fact, if you do, it's more to your detriment. Once I've built the muscle memory, and can learn to ride more on instinct rather than overthinking things, I think we'll be OK.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

Now the key will be to remember to come back in 90 days and post updates!

My horse: Cody
    Currently working on: Transitions, transitions, transitions. Oh, and bending, and not running me into the gate. Had a really good ride a week ago, and then I had to go and get sick and haven't been able to ride since One of my favorite things of late is to spiral in from a 20m to a 10m circle in a posting trot, and then spiral back out in a sitting trot and when we hit the 20m circle again, ask for canter. Have gotten a couple of nice canter transitions that way Also have been trying to mix things up with some leg-yields and shoulder-fore/in to try and help get him reaching for the bit instead of sucking back If I luck out and end up with a saddle next Tuesday, goal is to go to our first show in May before the season ends

Default Good idea!

Myself: Currently working on whether I can ever learn to sit his trot without buying a new saddle. This used to be easy for me, but I had to start riding in a jumping saddle, and he is about as lofty as a TB gets.

Also, working on consistently having the nerve to go on solo trail rides. He's fine with it, it's just me.

My horse: Trainer is almost done teaching him flying changes. He goes L to R with ease, but R to L is always late behind.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Me too, me too!

Horse: Willow

Working on: Getting started under saddle. Transistions on the line. LOTS of groundwork as she's a bit smart and a lot pushy. Once I get her going under tack, I'd like to be schooling a confident Training level. She's been ridden before, but between a hock injury and a baby (she had one, then I had one) It's been a few years. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Can we start 90 days ago?

Riser, December 6, working on "Hi, this is your new life. You're not on the race track anymore."

Riser, 90 days later.

Riser about when this thread was started.

We're working on canter transitions. Canter transitions, canter transitions, canter transitions.
    Oh, and canter transitions.

Hopefully in 90 days we'll have a decent canter transition!

My horse's name Fella bon Garçon

Working on: In full time training as of about March 10. Was fat and soft and didn't know he had a hind end. You should see his walk now! He's doing very well in hand.

I'm hoping to debut him in Intro this year.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Are comments on updates allowed?
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

I would join in, maybe will give me some perspective, see where I am at in 90 days.

Horse: Epso - Broodmare until I bought her mid December. Lovely Tb mover - therefore very novice.
    Working on: Canter departure and circles ( if the arena wall is not there she cannot quite figure out what is going on) Transitions walk trot ( staying relaxed and forward) General attention to work ( yes that basic!!!) As she was dominant mare in pasture she expects to be first one out of the arena if a horse or person leaves the arena she gets tense and her attention goes to the door and getting her back to work is difficult.
    Lovely legthening of the stride at the trot and she loves this and yes I do resort to this when things go south.
    I had my first square halt over the weekend was very impressed.

Aim: very regional dressage show in july: w/t test even if we have better canter by then as I do not know that she has ever shown and how she will take it.

One lesson a week with a junior trainer.

Great idea this should be fun

I do not see why not HorseProblem any bit helps.
    Last edited by mscapen; Apr. 4, 2012 at 03:52 PM. Reason: respond to post

My horse: Riot

We are getting him in shape after doing nothing (and I do mean nothing) before I purchased him recently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iPoRREPKCw

Besides general fitness, I am working on straightness and a connection where he is not too deep.

He is being worked 6x a week now.

The goals for April include: maintaining this fitness schedule, better down transitions, getting better HH at the canter and starting more lateral stuff

He knows a lot more then WTC but I'm trying to take it slow and steady. He is very eager/smart so its hard to not push him but he is prone to anticipation and its better to keep it simple/low key

Billie: shoulder in to the left, better lengthenings- actual lenghtening instead of quickness, start showing a true difference within all gaits (working to lengthening), work on jumping 3 foot

Misteria- work on suppleness and being comfortable jumping low stuff

Darby- seeking true contact and steadiness in bridle, canter transitions

Quote Originally Posted by TheHorseProblem View Post
    Are comments on updates allowed?
    of course! AND when the 90 comes up you can join in just label the next posting as

Round 1 or two and so on...

But any comment is great
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Round One:

Jeff. Working on improving lateral movements and maintaining balance at the canter outside of a circle (he can do a legitimate 15m canter circle but we can't seem to get down the long side without drama).

Working on conquering the 'tough' part of our rides (he's soft and supple for 15-20 minutes then gets strong and heavy for 10-15 minutes and if I force myself to ride through it we can do our best, most correct work after that).

We also have our first jumping lesson in two weeks!! I plan on two dressage lessons a month and one jumping lesson a month this summer plus two dressage clinics. Hopefully we can make progress and I can still afford to go on vacation this year

This is a great idea! Looking forward to ...July?

My horse: Cody

Where we're at: Back to basics. Relearning with less hands, more leg and seat. Working on 2 laps stirrup-less sitting trot, 2 laps of two-point. Overcoming my irrational fear of cantering, hoping to master it enough to show prelim/training level at the first show in early May. Not helping: he anticipates being cranked into a "frame". Occasional ventures into leg yields.
    Last edited by cada931; Apr. 6, 2012 at 08:48 PM. Reason: more info

Frodo: 9 year old Trakehner.

We are working second level. Right now we are working on counter canter and balanced transitions at canter/walk/canter and trot/halt/trot. Working on developing medium trot. I am hoping to start changes soon. We have also been concentrating on keep the hind legs active during collection and REALLY building his strength.
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    *Bugs 5/86-3/10 OTTB Mare* RIP lovely Lady, I miss you
    *Frodo '03 Anglo Trakehner Gelding*
    My Facebook