The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Default What?? Kelsey Lefever Only Gets Probation!

Really??

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/ra...se-activities/

Excerpt:

Kelsey Lefever, the 24-year-old Honey Brook, Pa., woman who allegedly took in ex-racehorses on the premise of finding them a good home only to send them to a nearby auction populated by buyers for slaughterhouses, waived her preliminary hearing on Tuesday before Judge Lowell Witmer in East Hanover Township, Dauphin County, Pa., and is scheduled for a formal arraignment on April 19.

Lefever originally was charged with one count of deceptive business practices and four counts of theft by deception, but the deceptive business practice charge has been dropped. The charges were for two grade 3 felonies and two grade 1 misdemeanors.

A report in a Philadelphia newspaper said Lefever will agree to enter a first-offender program as part of a negotiated deal with prosecutors, receive two years of probation, and be prevented from activities related to horses. She will not be allowed to acquire horses during her probation, according to the report.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

I'm not sure prison would've changed anything except make us feel better. Prison overcrowding being what is I'm sure there were lots of reasons why she only got probation. The GOOD NEWS (and there is some) is that not only will she be prevented from acquire horses BUT as she has been convicted, we can SHOUT her name here on the CoTH forums so no one forgets her actions. It's not libel if it's the truth.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

And we can post her photo all over the place.

I would have at least liked to see a whopping fine. And ... oh well, transporting her on a truck to Mexico with 30 or so terrified slaughter bound horses. That would be good too.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

I'm not surprised. And since it's first time offender I wouldn't be surprised if her record was expunged after her probation terms are over. I agree that her picture needs to be posted in every stable and race facility in this country. She did it, got away with it for a long time, and will go back to it. I wouldn't be surprised to see her scanning giveaways and craigslist for more and using fake names for transactions. I doubt she'll even slow down.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

“I killed every one of those f---ing horses, over 120 of them, if they only knew,” Lefever allegedly said, according to Groninger’s statement in the affidavit of probable cause. “I only have five left and the ones that you have. Every one of them is dead. I don’t even know their names and there wasn’t a goddamn thing they could do about it because they gave me those horses. I didn’t sign one contract for any of them and there is no paper trail from Bruce (Rotz, the buyer for the Canadian slaughter plant), so they have to prove it.”

Think a guy could have gotten away with this and the lovely attitude to boot? I'm sure she played the delicate female, "I'm only 24 and it wasn't my fault, I'm just confused and won't do it again"...with batting eyes and probably dressed like a 17 year old.

"Dauphin County First Assistant District Attorney Francis Chardo tells The Philadelphia Inquirer that Lefever will be banned from working at horse tracks and won't be allowed to obtain any additional horses for two years.

Defense attorney Michael Sheldon says the resolution was in his client's best interest. He says the Honeybrook, Chester County woman's love of horses hasn't diminished."

Well, as long as she still loves horses she shouldn't be punished.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

We should make up flyers with her picture and what she did so we can post them up all over the place.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

Whoever is dumb enough to place their name in business with this crook is sealing their own fate. Let her stay in the area. She's got a pack of hungry wolves just waiting to pounce.
    "Truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it and ignorance may deride it, but, in the end, there it is." Sir Winston Churchhill

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post
    Think a guy could have gotten away with this and the lovely attitude to boot?
    Men get away with it all the time. So do women.

Le Mud
    Last edited by Belg; Feb. 22, 2012 at 10:01 AM. Reason: First response was unbecoming.
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

Her picture needs to be plstered all over the place along with the quote that Trakehner posted. These need to be placed in every feed store that will allow it and a t every barn ALONG with the light sentence this witch received. She should have been banned from EVER working again with horses in any way and banned from all race tracks forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryswyn View Post
    I'm not sure prison would've changed anything except make us feel better.
    While you're right -- at the same time I have the hope that if they made an example out of her, it might make others think twice about doing what she did.

I live in her region. I know from trusted friends that there ARE others just like her doing exactly what she did. I know people who have been scammed by the same "good forever home" promise of a stranger just to find the horse in a killpen weeks later.

I can only hope that this story acts as a caution to sellers. "Free" animals attract the worst kind of buyers: the Kelseys of the world, the hoarders, and the idiot impulse shoppers. My suggestions: price your horse above 'meat' price, visit the farm where he's going, and get some sort of contract in writing.

Quote Originally Posted by philosoraptor View Post
    While you're right -- at the same time I have the hope that if they made an example out of her, it might make others think twice about doing what she did.

I live in her region. I know from trusted friends that there ARE others just like her doing exactly what she did. I know people who have been scammed by the same "good forever home" promise of a stranger just to find the horse in a killpen weeks later.

I can only hope that this story acts as a caution to sellers. "Free" animals attract the worst kind of buyers: the Kelseys of the world, the hoarders, and the idiot impulse shoppers. My suggestions: price your horse above 'meat' price, visit the farm where he's going, and get some sort of contract in writing.
    That is the sad thing... for every one of her that gets caught there are 100s of other liars doing the same thing...

Somehow I don't think she's a "first time offender" this is just the first time she's gotten caught...

I feel sorry for her kid...having a POS mother that lies and cons for a living will probably steer her daughter right down the same path :-(
    http://www.leakycreek.com/
    http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
    John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
    Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma

Quote Originally Posted by BoyleHeightsKid View Post
    We should make up flyers with her picture and what she did so we can post them up all over the place.
    I was thinking more along the lines of some permanent billboards posted in her hometown & off major roads where she lives...
    http://www.leakycreek.com/
    http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
    John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
    Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma

Or, more usefully, a perpetual single page ad in whatever the PA equivalent of the Equiery (local horse newspaper) is, that has a big photo and reminds folks not to do business with her.

The ad should be printed in the paper for the rest of her life, at her expense.

:-)
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

You can't run ads or billboards forever. She can get married, so a "name change".

There are short memories everywhere. This will be the latest excitement here for a week or so, and this thread will die.

What ever happened to the tree tying, trainer that beat a horse? See we forgot that already. No one is keeping tabs on her, posting ads or billboards.

Her love of horses is implied how?????

Defense attorney Michael Sheldon says the resolution was in his client's best interest. He says the Honeybrook, Chester County woman's love of horses hasn't diminished."

Quote Originally Posted by 7HL View Post
    You can't run ads or billboards forever. She can get married, so a "name change".

There are short memories everywhere. This will be the latest excitement here for a week or so, and this thread will die.

What ever happened to the tree tying, trainer that beat a horse? See we forgot that already. No one is keeping tabs on her, posting ads or billboards.
    Maybe.. But billboard and ad facial recognition would be better than trying to bury ones head in the sand and pretending it never happened.
    Kudos to those who are trying to spread the word.
    This stinks.

diminished means "decreased from its prior level"; if it started off at no love for horses, and it wasn't diminished, well, there you are.

Perhaps we should start a Convicted Horse Killers/Abusers facebook page. Advertise it with "before you sell or give away your horse, check here".
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by philosoraptor View Post

I too was hoping that she would get a stiffer penalty, including a very large fine so that she would at least lose the profits from her actions, and then some.

I hope people don't forget what she did, and keep on alerting others to the fact that she and people like her, exist.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!