The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Camden SC Hunter Scene

I am contemplating new job in Camden. This would be a major relocation for me from the NE. I do the 3'3" A/Os at the B/C level with the occasional A but don't have the time/money/inclination to travel to the big AAs. I know there are a lot of horses and some BNTs in Camden but wonder if I would fit their "programs". Is there a more local circuit equivalent to B/C's? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Default Camden is fabulous!

Camden has plenty of options for every level competitior. Right in Camden you have several barns that are active at the highest levels as well as many that are active on the local circuits. Camden is also home to a gorgeous show venue, where many local through AA shows take place.

Finally Farm - Jack Towell / Liza Towell Boyd
    One of the best in the country.
    http://www.finallyfarm.com/

Roger Young Stables - Gary Young
    Literally across the street from the Towells and will also take some youngsters to the local shows
    http://rogeryoungstables.com/

Danny Robertshaw and Ron Danta
    Mainly do the A's but do some locals as well, great guys!

Glennair Farm - Mary Jackson
    Does a ton of showing at the nicer locals and goes to a few A's here and there.
    http://glennairfarm.com/

There is something for everyone in Camden and for every size wallet. The list above are just a few off the top of my head, there are PLENTY more in all types of facilities. The shows at the Equine Park are lovely and range from local through AA.
    http://www.scequinepark.com/index.htm

Show circuits in the area:

South Carolina Hunter Jumper Association, Local - AA
    www.SCHJA.org

Progressive Show Jumping, Local - AA
    www.PSJshows.com

Camden Equine Circuit - Competitive schooling/local circuit
    www.camdenequinecircuit.com

Sounds like you would fit in perfectly to Mary Jackson's program at Glennair. Lovely lady, great reputation and top notch care without being over the top. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any questions.
    Footnote
    Miss Money Penny
    Fuerst Class
    Monroe

Thanks TPF, great information!

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

You will have no problem finding what you need in or around Camden. PM me if you want some more names (not disagreeing with the ones already posted, but I know of a few more)
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Lucky you! To me, Camden is horse heaven! DH and I wanted to move there in the early 80s, and saw a great little farm on Tombfield Rd., but we just couldn't swing the $175,000. Wish there was a time machine.

So much fun horsey stuff to do there. Love grabbing lunch at the Everyday Gourmet and seeing the horse trailers parked outside.

And the Tack Room. A person could spend hours looking at all the horsey stuff, and everyone who works there has always been nothing but nice to me.

You could do a LOT worse than Camden!

I will second what TPF said! I rode trained a bit with Ron and Danny growing up and they are top notch. I always learned a ton from them. Plus all they do for the animals, how can you not love that!! One of my good friends rides currently with Mary Jackson, and has nothing but great things to say about her and get program. I know they do a lot of the PSJ / SCHJA shows all the way up to AA rated in SC and the neighboring states. If I ever get back to South Carolina gets is definitely a program I would look into. And The Tack Room.... Sigh... Rider's shopping heaven.