The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default gulfport photog

Is the photographer at gulfport still flashpoint like it has always been?
    I recall in years past that they update at the end of each week, but so far there's nothing!
    curious if maybe they changed photographers this year.
    owned and loved by a crazy TB mare

Default flashpoint photo

it is still greg. I spoke to him last week and he says the website will be ready next week. I have been harassing the poor guy for pics of my horse since i'm not down there this year!

same here - my horse is there with out me and all I want are pics! thanks for the update!!

Default Flashpoint

Good Morning All,

Greg sends his sincerest apologies for the delay in getting the web site's updates completed. He's been developing a whole new platform-software for the site and unfortunately it's taken longer than he'd hoped. It's been difficult and slow going due to little free time to devote to code work- shooting all day, processing around 600 plus images afterwards, and not being able to restart software work until late each night BUT the good news- the end is in sight!! And it will be so worth your patience and waiting as there will be some new offerings coming!!

On a personal note to all my friends in Gulfport...I miss seeing you all and hope everyone is having a fabu show season!

Have a great weekend,
    Flashe

Default greg

is there any reason he can't post them on the old website the way he did with jacksonville?

Default update?

I still can't find any 2012 Gulfport pictures.... I know there is someone there taking photo's! I really want to see them. Help!

Default Update

Good Morning All!

Just a quick note with an update from Greg- first and foremost he apologizes for the delay on launching the new site. He's been writing code everynight after shooting rings from sun up to sun down, which sadly slows things down- plus debugging along the way. Writing code is tedious at times. Good news is he's "hoping" to get it up today or tomorrow barring any many issues. He's running tests now!

He thanks you very much for your patience and continued support!
    Wishing everyone a fabu day,
    Flashe

Thanks for the update. My daughter just finished three weeks of showing at Gulfport and I am anxiously waiting to see the pictures.

Pony Penny don't hold your breath, in the two weeks we were there only one kid got pictures taken of them, and no award pics at all. We asked the girl on Saturday to take pics but she seemed drunk and was gone by the time we showed.

Also whoever was in trailer was rude and horrible to deal with when we asked why there were no pictures of our horses to look at while we were at the show.

Were heading to Ocala anyway, do not think we will ever be back to Gulfport, it was miserable.

Also found this from a Gulfport post two years ago...sounds like these people have the same problem every year..

Quote Originally Posted by Flashe View Post
    Good Morning to All!

First off I want to apologize again for the delay in getting the Gulfport proofs uploaded. We were revamping the software and truthfully the biggest hold up was installing the new product, Xpress Pic, with it's various options! We believe you're going to feel this was worth waiting for!!
    Also, there is no video, called the company in the prize list apparently they didn't go.
    Last edited by runninhigh; Feb. 29, 2012 at 03:36 PM.

Talking Update

Good Morning and Happy Friday!

I am very pleased to announce the new proof viewing platform went live yesterday! A couple of important points- when you click on "Proofs" if your computer's Microsoft Silverlight program is an older version there will be a prompt to update it and installing it will only take moments. Once you arrive at the new Proof platform PLEASE read the intro/instruction page fully so you can take advantage of all the new features easily. Should you have questions please contact Greg at info@flashpointphotography.com and he'll get in touch first opportunity after the day's shooting is complete. He's put more than a year into developing this new software, with lots of features designed from customers' "wish list" so he hopes you'll enjoy it. He appreciates your patience too!

Now I'd like to address runninhigh's concerns-

First and foremost, Greg was/is sorry for your disappointing experience in Gulfport. It's unfortunate because those who know Flashpoint well will tell you that the clients mean the world to Flashpoint. It's regretable if your child was missed-it was not intentional. Just like any business or human being, sadly there are just times when things go wrong and when they do Flashpoint has always made every effort to "make it up" to those effected.

Regarding the problem with the shooter, that matter has been dealt with throughly. While I will not make public the details or give fuel to assumptions, I will say there was far more personal trauma occurring to this indivdual than you would have been made aware of-hence the absence from your ring. An apology is all that can be offered now.

As for your issue in the trailer, no one is quite certain about this issue because no one there recalls the situation you're describing. Sorry. No one would have been rude to any client and given the chance would most assuredly offered both an explanation and help. Again, all that can be said now is an apology.

You pulled a post from TWO (2) years ago and that shows a pattern? Well, yes it does- a pattern of always trying to develop new features and products for the clients. A pattern of trying to stay on the forefront of better service to clients. A pattern of creating what the clients want. Yeah, don't think there's going to be an apology for that.

It's regreatable your time in Gulfport was bad, for whatever reasons, and Flashpoint does hope to make it up to you somewhere down the road- they always try. For now they wish you a good show in Ocala.

To everyone else- hope you like the new viewing platform and all the features it has to offer. Feel free to drop Greg a note and give some feedback on it.

Have a great weekend!
    Flashe

Thank you for posting the pics. However this is a joke right. I have to pay to view pictures that may or may not be there? We'll be getting pics from the photographer here in Ocala. They seem to be a bit more professional.
    I make Money, My horses eat it

Runninhigh,

All we can do at this point is to simply apologize that our business is not run to your expectations. Your assumptions are exactly why it was stressed to please read the intro/instruction page fully. The intro clearly says NOT to sign up before checking the events to ensure there are shots available. It also explains how the subscription/discount bank works as well as the various features available. Given the huge amount of theft going on -which does certainly translate to loss of income- this new platform was a compromise to completely shutting the web site proofs down. Granted you probably do not care about the struggles we and others are facing, but we've pretty much been put into this situation because of those who don't care or respect the amount of hard work or costs. Theft is out of control, there is NO stopping it or even figting it most times- the effects of theft leads to a vicious circle for photographers- loss of income that leads to cutting employees who they can't afford, that leads to less coverage at events, that leads to angry exhibitors and it all starts over again. Those are just the issues effecting the business end. Unfortunately there are many who just don't think of photographers as people with lives outside of the horse show rings- let alone care about them, yet the photographers keep trying. Because they geniunely love the work and the people...even when you don't believe so. Why else would they keep trying?

Really don't know what else to say because it doesn't appear anything will please you. Apologies once again.
    Wishing you a good show in Ocala,
    Flashe

Default What? Pay to even VIEW proofs????

So, we have to pay $12.00 to even SEE the proofs???? I went to 1 show! There are all of 10 proofs to view... I don't think I am unreasonable to be disgusted by this fee!!!! Showing is already ridiculously expensive - this fee is also ridiculous. I refuse to pay it, even though I was perfectly ready to purchase a picture (if there was a good one) to commemorate the event. The decision to charge a fee to view your proofs, will hurt your business, A LOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree. I have no problem paying for a picture that I like - but paying to view the proofs with no guarantee of a good picture in the end? Ridiculous. There's a reason most other photographers are not doing it this way - it is a bad business move. I believe flashpoint will lose a lot of potential buyers with this change.

The land of heat waves and unbearable humidity

You might now know but there is a function that you can pick your 10 favorite photos and post them on your facebook. I think that's a great idea. It gets the sales horses out and about with professional photos of them showing.

I also know first hand that taking photos and producing quality work is very hard. Come rain, heat, or freezing cold, we are out there taking pictures. We get blamed for spooking horses and chased off only to get an earful on why we didn't get any pictures of the horse we supposely spooked.

Then there are the thieves that steal our hard work and post it on their facebook. People who have tons of money and are famous in the horse show world. I would name names but those who are guilty have paid their dues. That above all is why Flashpoint is charging for viewing. Greg took measures in protecting his and our hard work only for those theives to find new ways of stealing photos.

Out of all the photographers out there in the horse show world, Flashpointe photo's are by far the very best! Greg does amazing work and I am happy to work for him.
    "Common sense is so rare nowadays, it should be classified as a super power."-Craig Bear Laubscher

Local photographer here in the PNW used to charge $10 (and this was 10-15 years ago) just to put you on the list to maybe get some shots of you. Many shows, there might only be 2 or 3 shots, sometimes none, rarely with any worth buying. Since it was so long ago, the proofs weren't on the internet to see, so no one was stealing anything. That's when I started bringing nice cameras to the horse shows. (Now I set the 5D on 5 frames/sec, hand it to a kid and I have better luck getting something back). No, it's not "professional" quality, but with some time with Photoshop and printed as a 5x7, it comemorates the occassion.

I still buy professional photos if 1) it's a good shot 2) they are reasonably priced 3) I don't have to pay in advance to see proofs, just hoping they happened to get a decent shot.

I sympathise with the photographers that have their work stolen. I would hate it if someone was stealing what I created. I understand that they are between the proverbial rock and hard place, with trying to make customers happy and trying to stay in business. But there have been too many shows where my ring wasn't shot, or the photos were marginal at best, for me to make an investment prior to seeing the photos. I don't know what the solution is. As long as there are thieves out there, photographers have to try to protect themselves. Maybe everyone who logs onto their site has to leave a valid credit card number, so if the photographer sees one of their photos on the internet somewhere, the credit card gets charged a $1000 penalty. (Kidding.... hmmm.)

Default $12 A MONTH!!!!!!

If it were a one time fee, I would be more inclined to pay it... but A MONTH?????? This FB app you are talking about hasn't even happened yet! Many people don't care to put them out there on a social media. Furthermore, does this app protect one's privacy? Can Sally who doesn't like Betty, post bad pictures of Betty (who had a bad day) on Sally's FB page, for friends to ridicule?

It's a great idea for people to have that FB ability - by all means they should pay for the right to share your photographs on a social forum. But you should let people view their proofs, and then decide if they want to share them with the world - only then is the fee appropriate!

I am sorry that your pictures are being stolen. I have no idea how one goes about doing that. I signed a document stating that I would not steal a photo - so that should be the end of it. People shop lift in stores, but I don't pay a fee at the mall. Frankly, the cost of a 4x6 photo should counter balance the loss!

Back in the day, the rare fee was used to cover postal costs. Back in the day, my Mother refused to pay it, so there may be some great pictures out there that I missed. Yet, my home is filled with great photographs purchased from people who sent the proofs in the mail.

I'm sorry you have had such a difficult time of it. I found the girl shooting pictures at my ring to be charming and professional. Even so, I will not be paying this fee, on principle, if nothing else.

Well that's a HUGE bummer Flashe. I always purchase photographs when you're the photographer at the show. I've always loved keeping up with friends by viewing your pictures from shows when I can't attend. Very disappointed.

Honestly, I think that makes people MORE likely to steal. Now their friends can't view proofs so they'd be more likely to take a screen shot and send to their friends. I know my friends and I send each other to the website to help pick which photos we should buy.

Default theft - other ways to avoid

Don't you think it would be better customer service to provide a show password rather then tag on a charge to just view proofs. I assume if you have time to post on the Chronicle you could respond to email request for the password based on the person providing something akin to horse name and/or division as proof of authenticity. I would think that protecting yourself from theft is a cost of doing business not a fee to pass on to your customer. This is akin to a retail store charging me a fee to walk in the door and browse their wares.
    I am not at the show and am not aware of how each round went so I may/may not find what I want. I will not pay money just to view the pictures. I do have sale horses and would have been a repeat client. Certainly it is your business and you will run it as you see fit but I will not be a client at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Adagio View Post
    Don't you think it would be better customer service to provide a show password rather then tag on a charge to just view proofs. I assume if you have time to post on the Chronicle you could respond to email request for the password based on the person providing something akin to horse name and/or division as proof of authenticity. I would think that protecting yourself from theft is a cost of doing business not a fee to pass on to your customer. This is akin to a retail store charging me a fee to walk in the door and browse their wares.
    I am not at the show and am not aware of how each round went so I may/may not find what I want. I will not pay money just to view the pictures. I do have sale horses and would have been a repeat client. Certainly it is your business and you will run it as you see fit but I will not be a client at this point.
    And that password would be known to 90% of the exhibitors within 10 minutes of the first person receiving it.
    It is not 'akin' to a retail store charging a walk in fee. LMAO.
    Retail stores are unhappy if you take a sample or two out the door without paying for them.And that's exactly the issue here.