The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

It is a safety issue. The entitled kids previously mentioned are allowed to run around and "experience" everything as if it were a petting zoo. Climbing in the tractor bucket, etc., getting behind the wheel of the golf cart and "driving." How would these people feel if they came out of the supermarket and some kid were behind the wheel of their car "driving"? We have a ton of new lesson kids, and to their families, it's a trip to the park. Fido comes song, all the little brothers and sister, Grandma in her walker. That's a lot of not very fast moving people ambling along and taking up the whole barn aisle when I'm trying to hand walk my horse.

I know they are just showing their support and their sense of wonder at the beauty of these creatures, but it does get old. I hope the kids keep riding and taking lessons, and help keep the riding facilities economically viable, I really do. I just lose patience when I have so little time to get my horse taken care of but I always have to be on the lookout for toddlers.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

It's just consideration for others, that's all it is, to not have your kids make a mess or dogs run off-leash. And the so-called parents (they're not, they're people who had children but don't have the intelligence to be parents) who don't manage their kids are being totally self-absorbed.

Everyone has to be well-bhaved and the ones responsible for dogs and kids have to be willing to be responsible. So many parents won't be that.

But the BMs who allow this to take place on their premises are ultimately responsible and if they don't want to find themselves in court... they might want to start enforcing rules.

And we all wonder why kids aren't getting into riding anymore. Could it be the crotchety old biddies whining about them? I'm sure it is. We ride hunters/jumpers but have our horses at a cattle penning/sorting barn. My horses are turned out with a herd of cattle most days . When there is a penning there are horses tied up and down the barn isle. My horses are stalled right by the indoor. They see all the commotion. People even tie there horses in front of my stallions stall and *GASP* he doesn't do anything. Why? He's used to it and knows how to behave. BO's have kids. There are big wheels and bikes in the barn. My grandson rides them in the isle while I do stalls. None of the horses care. Seriously you people are taking all the fun out of everything. I wouldn't want to be in your barns if they were free. Kids are kids. Life is too short to whine about everything. My barn at my house is empty. It's too quiet, no fun. I much prefer the cutting barn.

Quote Originally Posted by CHSatwork View Post
    And we all wonder why kids aren't getting into riding anymore. Could it be the crotchety old biddies whining about them? I'm sure it is. We ride hunters/jumpers but have our horses at a cattle penning/sorting barn. My horses are turned out with a herd of cattle most days . When there is a penning there are horses tied up and down the barn isle. My horses are stalled right by the indoor. They see all the commotion. People even tie there horses in front of my stallions stall and *GASP* he doesn't do anything. Why? He's used to it and knows how to behave. BO's have kids. There are big wheels and bikes in the barn. My grandson rides them in the isle while I do stalls. None of the horses care. Seriously you people are taking all the fun out of everything. I wouldn't want to be in your barns if they were free. Kids are kids. Life is too short to whine about everything. My barn at my house is empty. It's too quiet, no fun. I much prefer the cutting barn.
    So you'd be cool if a random kid were running inbetween your horses legs and detroying the property too, right?

I think I speak for most people when I say we have no problems with well behaved kids who are supervised. Its the unsupervised destructive ones whos parents are too busy with the horse that we are complaining about.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I get to see what happens when children are raised without discipline and expectations: I teach 8th grade. I have 99% great, reasonable, considerate 13-14 year old kids in class. But that 1%!! Oy.

So cute when they are 3-4 pulling that crap, not so funny at 14 in school.

Same stuff in public or at a barn--I hear you OP. I love kids! They are super people, but I expect parents of said kids to manage them and instill in them a modicum of common sense and consideration for others. When they don't, I will be the first to tell them to stop.

Horses don't have to "get over it". I expect a safe, relatively quiet and stable environment to ride in at a boarding barn or show. That is safe and produces a quality experience for everyone involved. Can the aisle (yeah, that's how it is spelled) be a bit active, with kids/wheelbarrows/dogs? Sure, unless those things cause a safety issue, then they stop.

I reamed a pair of tween girls at a show once, and was applauded by the manager. Large show facility with a huge indoor that is surrounded on 3 sides (inside) with a wide concrete apron. Said children were using roller blades and a dog to entertain themselves during the show. After being asked twice in my hearing to stop they didn't. I halted my horse during a break for schooling and told them to get their mom (she was close by) and I then told them all to GET OUT. You were asked nicely, now you are being told. I explained, briefly how dangerous their behavior was, how inconsiderate, etc. Judge overheard the whole conversation and thanked me, too. Mom should have managed her kids. She didn't, so I did for her.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Occassionally the kids will run up on a horse when they are playing and not paying attention. They're kids. It happens. They do appologize. None of these kids destroy anything. None of the people who come to the pennings have kids that destroy anything. Hmmmm I'm starting to think this is an "English" rider problem. I've been doing this 40 years. Yes I enjoy riding english and jumping. I just can't tolerate the "English" barn environment. I have yet to see kids like those described at "western" barns. I wonder

Weird CHS- Just the opposite experience for me. I don't think this is a riding discipline issue, it is a KID issue and more importantly, a parent issue.

Look, I spend thousands of dollars every year to ride my quite expensive horse. I'd like to maximize every ride, not manage some dimwit kid. Kids will do dumb things, that's expected. But in a barn/riding situation, those dumb things can have serious consequences.

And, I'll say this, the Western folks I know/ride with, it is a more shall we say, casual atmosphere (no helmets, lots of yahooing around, halter and bareback, riding in the aisle) that I find unsafe all the way around. And when your fastest pace is a "tranter", a little spook might be the biggest rush of your day.

Occassionally the kids will run up on a horse when they are playing and not paying attention. They're kids. It happens.
    So, when the kids "run up on" a horse and it knocks them clean to next Sunday because it's startled, or in a bad mood, or kicking at a fly... Does that also just "happen"?

I think many folk here are more concerned about what might happen to the kids (and the ensuing horse-owner's liability) than worried about their precious pony being distracted.

Horses are unpredictable. Kids can get hurt. Unfortunately, parents can be litigious. Wanting to minimize risks seems reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by paw View Post
    So, when the kids "run up on" a horse and it knocks them clean to next Sunday because it's startled, or in a bad mood, or kicking at a fly... Does that also just "happen"?

I think many folk here are more concerned about what might happen to the kids (and the ensuing horse-owner's liability) than worried about their precious pony being distracted.

Horses are unpredictable. Kids can get hurt. Unfortunately, parents can be litigious. Wanting to minimize risks seems reasonable.
    If I could "like" this, I would.

The kids at my barn rollerblade, skateboard, and play hockey in the barn aisle. IT definitely makes me nervous.
    I am also all for horses being kid 'proof' dog 'proof' and loud noise 'proof', however when I was bringing my horse back to work after his injury, when he was filled sky high with the crazies from his time off/lack of work it definitely made things a bit dangerous for me!! And my horse IS pretty everything 'proof'! (Not so much the rollerblading/skateboarding ones, but another family with a baby that liked to open and slam shut the top of the mounting block)

Occassionally the kids will run up on a horse when they are playing and not paying attention. They're kids. It happens. They do appologize. None of these kids destroy anything. None of the people who come to the pennings have kids that destroy anything. Hmmmm I'm starting to think this is an "English" rider problem. I've been doing this 40 years. Yes I enjoy riding english and jumping. I just can't tolerate the "English" barn environment. I have yet to see kids like those described at "western" barns. I wonder
    If you don't like here, feel free to leave. I'm sure you can find a message board full of squealing, jumping, running, banshee-yodeling children anywhere.

My first barn was mostly western, and my very young Arab was exposed to everything crazy. I'll never forget leading him out and a teenage girl really screaming and running towards us being chased by a teenage boy hell bent for catching her
    I braced for an explosion and.. Nothing. He apparently, unlike me, could distinguish fun screams from chaos and must have known the kids in question
    If my Arab were 17 hands and spooky, I would not feel so sanguine about it.
    Last edited by Chall; Jan. 16, 2012 at 10:17 AM.

Wow. So much venom spitting here.

No, disrespectful/out of control kids without supervision should not be around unpredictable 1200 lb animals.

That said, yes, horses DO need to "get over" some things. Isn't that what training is all about?

If you ever want to take your horse off property where things aren't always in your control (debatable anyway), horses should be exposed to as much as possible. Kids, dogs, bicycles and motorized vehicles all can be seen out on the trail even.

I sympathize with those with greenies or horses coming back from injuries-BTDT- but really, there are risks we take when riding and handling horses. Our job is to minimize these risks to ourselves, our horses and others.

We can't expect non-horsey people/kids we encounter to know how to act around horses. They'll need some guidance. Don't think part of your job is to be an equine ambassador? Think back to your beginnings with horses and the people that helped get you started.

Default I think all adults should be supervised..

Or put on a leash.

Here's what you do if you want no children in your barn, ever.

1. Don't have any.

2. Buy your own barn, and your own show facility.

3. Don't be all surprised if no one shows up.

Really guys, most of the adults I've come across are far worse than the children. Don't get your panties in a wad and start yelling lawsuit. I've never actually met anyone that got sued for failing to supervise their child and having it get hurt.

Riding is suposed to be fun, and if you all get bitchy and whiny, well, go over to eventerland and see what the rider says when a horse runs out on course when he's galloping toward something 4 feet high that won't fall down if his horse hits it. Who's owners paid a lot of money for, to compete in an event that happens Once a Year, that is an Olympic and WEG qualifier, not some local show.

He said nothing, "just part of the game,".

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndyrgal View Post
    I've never actually met anyone that got sued for failing to supervise their child and having it get hurt.
    Of course not. It's the poor person minding her own business when that child runs in front of her horse or car and gets hurt that is sued. No one can sue the negligent a-hole parents.

[QUOTE=ElisLove;6083264]The kids at my barn rollerblade, skateboard, and play hockey in the barn aisle. IT definitely makes me nervous.
    QUOTE]

Oh He!! NO!!! That would not be tolerated. My child is respectful and actually said to a judge (she is 4 mind you so thank gosh everyone laughed) at a HB show from the rail

"Don't walk behind a horse!!!"

My barn kid plopped her hand over my child's mouth and whisked her away. Then we had to discuss what judges (and adults) are allowed to do....and what little people ARE NOT.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I started riding at a barn that had both Western and English instruction. There were a great number of kids around. We learned very quickly: Thou Shalt Not Run In The Barn. Thou Shalt Not Scream In The Barn. Thou Shalt Make Thine Horse Aware Of Your Presence If You Walk Up Behind Him. Thusly Shall Thou Not Get Hurt. Children who refused to behave and parents who refused to make them were not invited back.

Not an English or a Western thing. It's a safety thing. Darwin was a smart guy, but I doubt even he trusted to "survival of the fittest" to raise his kids.

Don't get me started on unleashed dogs... there's one individual who unleashes his Golden Retriever, and, being happiness stuffed into a dog skin, the Golden gambols everywhere... including behind my not-so-dog-friendly horse. I've taken to shouting "Call your dog back, my horse kicks!" every time I see his person. Who is usually a quarter mile behind the dog. UGH.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Quote Originally Posted by cyberbay View Post
    It's just consideration for others, that's all it is, to not have your kids make a mess or dogs run off-leash. And the so-called parents (they're not, they're people who had children but don't have the intelligence to be parents) who don't manage their kids are being totally self-absorbed.
    ^This It's the heart of the issue.

Perhaps if we were taught to Think of Others First/Be Considerate of Others First from wee ones on, like my mother taught me and reinforced it again and again and again, we'd not see quite the rash of ruffians we see everywhere, not just the barn.

It started when I was very little...

--"Suzie, please move the grocery cart to the side of the aisle, this lady needs to get by."

--"Please hold the door for this gentleman since his hands are full."

--"While you're filling that water bucket, ask Mrs. So-N-So if she would like you to fill her horse's too."

If parents would Think of Others First (and horses too), they would teach it to their children and keep a shorter leash on their wee ones, as well as correct the behavior to reinforce the lesson of Looking Beyond Your Own Eyes.
    Last edited by ChocoMare; Jan. 16, 2012 at 11:57 AM.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

ChocoMare-- what a delightful post! Such parenting is a lost art for many, I'm afraid. However, I do find it amongst the parents of the kids who ride at our barn. Safety first, kindness and consideration in equal measure. I think there are two schools of thought at work in this thread:

Those who feel that children should and can be taught to respect other people's right to ride/work in a calm, quiet, happy and safe barn/arena/show and those who feel "anything goes" and the devil take the hindmost. Well, not quite, but more along the lines of "my kid/dog/horse can behave the way they want and you all just get used to it".

Sure, my horses and I can handle noise and upset (we show hunters and have encountered flying chairs, umbrellas, dogs in the ring, hats, Harley's, ambulances, flying tents, garbage cans, loud music, loud people, running children, running adults, and portapotties that are seemingly haunted). Should I have to encounter all those things on a daily basis?

No. Control your dog and child, and I'll control my horse and my temper.

What's the big deal? Lock the kids and the dogs in a stall....The same stall.