The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TheHorseProblem View Post
    I would like to say this:

IT'S A TRACTOR, NOT A CLIMBING STRUCTURE!

and

THOSE ARE SHAVINGS, NOT A SANDBOX!!!

Thank you.

2 we have are...

That's an arena drag not a tilt-a-whirl!

And those are round bales not huge rolling pins!

Quote Originally Posted by mroades View Post
    How about when the parents WATCH their kids destroy the farms rolltop by jumping on it from the ring fence? Yep, happened today at the show I was judging. Parents thought it was cute the way they were denting it.....arrgghhh
    No, really. Wow, you really can't fix stupid.
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

I am appalled that anyone allows their children to climb on ANYTHING at the barn.

If my child comes, she is quaranteened in a corner, building sandcastles. Safely away from horses and people. Frankly its just a pita having something else to worry about so most times she does not come along.

What is WRONG with parents these days?!?!?! Your child is not entitled to EVERYTHING, EVERYWHERE in life!

I love kids, so I probably am not the best person to respond to this thread. But I can't help it! sometimes I feel like rowdy kids in a barn is a good thing as it helps get the horses used to pretty much anything. But at shows - it can be annoying when you are trying to school and they are throwing dirt, playing Bob the Builder and such. And loose dogs? Oh dear - stay far away from me and my green horse as you might get plowed over inadvertantly.

Can we talk about stupid pidgeons in the indoor ring? Die, you fools!

Is this a joke?? If you have an issue do t go back to that show. Kids are kids, you used to be one... Ignore them. ... Seriously.

I am okay with well behaved dogs... and children... But...

The dogs that:
    Bite at my horses ankles
    Chase my horse around
    Lay in front of jumps
    Enter the ring (period)
    Pee in the barn on my horses blankets (yes hanging)
    Poop in barn w/o owners cleaning up after them...

Those kind of dogs are not okay in my book. But my barn has a rule that outside dogs aren't really allowed which helps a lot now.

As for kids... My barn has a pretty large lesson program and I generally have to have some kids running around which is fine unless they don't listen, aren't respectful, or are being wild. The barn is not a daycare... Kids should to be supervised. The children that make up the lesson program are generally always with a working student or trainer but when they aren't they tend to be well behaved.

There are so many things that can go wrong with such large animals and I really don't want to be responsible for someones kid when I go to the barn. I go to enjoy my horse and ride not to babysit which sometimes does happen mostly because regardless of whether it is technically my responsibility or not I would feel liable for anything that happened to that kid while I was watching or around...

OP, you are not alone. I am more in the kids annoy me boat as opposed to dogs.
    Equestrian At Hart - My Blog - adventures of a big opinionated BWP

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Ignore them destroying a 500 dollar piece of equipment???
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

If they are destroying things, then of course, you should say something. That's just common sense.

Free roaming kids and dogs are known to PEE on everything. I hate having my tack box and equipment peed on! Drives me insane and I think it's completely rude that owners (dogs and kids) don't keep those things on a leash or locked in a car!

I think that their parents are practicing Slow Parenting where apparently you let your children roam wild and allow natural selection to take place.

Children can behave in certain public venues, it's the entire concept of parenting.

It is my personal opinion that the stronger the poster objects to posts about children the more likely they are to be the parents of horrible little monsters.

I don't have children, but I have to be honest - in my opinion, people who object to children tend to make me think they are over 50, fat, and cat hoarders and generally hate everything.

Of course, being over 50, fat, and a cat hoarder, I might possibly be prejudiced against such folk. I try not to hate everything though....

I bring my kids to the barn once in awhile. My hubby mainly watches them while I ride, my little boy helps me groom the horse, and we bring a dvd player with headphones to keep them entetained if they get bored during the lesson. I started riding at 4 and I think it all depends on the kids. If your kids or dogs are crazy, don't bring them. If your kids and dogs listen to rules, you are willing to watch them and you have a back up if they are getting out of contol, I personally think it is awesome for everyone!!!! If kids learn to respect/love horses and horse things then they are little they will be good human beings and maybe interested riders I would never ride at a no kid, no dog barn. You just need reasonable rules and be willing to enforce them!

Quote Originally Posted by mroades View Post
    How about when the parents WATCH their kids destroy the farms rolltop by jumping on it from the ring fence? Yep, happened today at the show I was judging. Parents thought it was cute the way they were denting it.....arrgghhh
    The nephews of the barn owner at the previous barn we were at, put two huge dents in the wheel well/fender of our brand new trailer! Yes, I was pissed...

Quote Originally Posted by RougeEmpire View Post
    Free roaming kids and dogs are known to PEE on everything. I hate having my tack box and equipment peed on! Drives me insane and I think it's completely rude that owners (dogs and kids) don't keep those things on a leash or locked in a car!

I agree that I've seen loose dogs at shows pee on everything and anything, but I've never witnessed loose kids peeing, well except for that naked one year old at the pool who relieved himself right in front of my horrified daughter!

Kids playing on a hill next to the dressage arena startled our horse in the
    middle of a dressage test for a horse trial. Darn kids!

While we're at it, eliminate car horn alarms! Someone's alarm (they were parked right next to the fence of the arena) went off when one of our riders was riding her stadium course and it startled her horse. Eliminate the strong winds that blew over the dressage judge's tent just when our rider was
    approaching C.
    Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    We have no intentions of tarring and feathering anyone: this is now a thread about dipping Ryan Reynolds in chocolate.

Children are easily controllable. Wind is not. They can play in appropriate places at appropriate times and they can learn to be quiet and respectful when they need to be.

Raising respectful and well behaved children makes respectful and well behaved adults.

Being hysterical and blaming things that are out of human hands is not being realistic.

Kids are raised these days, by some, that rules don't apply to them and no one should judge anyone's behavior, cuz' that's just mean. Don't judge me or my children! . Yikes.

To the OP, sorry for whatever happened to you and/or your horse! I've been known to snap at a kid or two (including my own!) at the barn and so I appreciate it when our trainer/barn owner stops the behavior of the kid(s) and talks to the parent about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    We have no intentions of tarring and feathering anyone: this is now a thread about dipping Ryan Reynolds in chocolate.

I board at a HUGE lesson barn where there are TONS of kids, especially in the summer when camp is in session. While they are certainly not perfect, they are all generally pleasant to be around and their behavior is normal and age appropriate. Every time this topic comes up, I am reminded how lucky I am that I am able to recognize that I am not perfect (and never have been, never will be), and I don't expect those around me to be perfect either. All of you complainers are a great reminder to me that my life is really great despite the fact that the world doesn't revolve around me.

There is a huge difference in expecting the world to revolve around yourself and asking for respect from other people.

Our barn is a lesson barn and there are always a bunch of kids in, or around the barn. Every horse admitted to the barn doesn't have to be a kids horse but they do have to be able to deal with children. But there are rules for both children and dogs. Enforced by parents/trainers it works well. Shows? Either your horse is a show horse or it's not. Either its safe to handle or its not.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    There is a huge difference in expecting the world to revolve around yourself and asking for respect from other people.
    I understand that, I just have a hard time believing that all the kids at my barn are somehow way better behaved than all the kids described here on this board.