The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Children. Grrrr...

Small children and dogs should NOT be allowed to roam free at the barn. Never, ever, ever... ever. They are dangerous. Whine over.

At least it wasn't groups, multiple large groups, of school children on tours! We went to the National Western Stock show this weekend where there is a USEF hunter jumper show in addition to all the livestock stuff. The announcers were pretty good about keeping people off the railing in the actual competition arena, however somebody decided it would be a good plan to put children's activities right next to the schooling ring. There were children, probably about 10-20 at a time, standing on benches next to the ring. Also, people were able to freely roam around the stabling area. Several people came up and without asking, allowed small children to stick hands and fingers inside the bars of the stalls to try and pet horses. I'm definitely of the mind that a show horse should be able to deal with distractions, but having hordes of loud children jumping onto the walls and rocking on bouncing horse toys right immediately adjacent to the warm up ring is a bit ridiculous. I didn't notice the noise level in the arena when I was doing my jumping trips due to my zoning out but when I went in for the flat it was crazy how loud the chatter was from so many kids.

Glad stalls are almost done. I'll break out my popcorn and wine in a few.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Children and dogs should always be supervised at the barn.

I hire a babysitter so I can go out and ride...and I own the barn! Shows you what I think about my little ones running amuck. I'm not afraid they will do anything wrong, just afraid I might run one over...lol

Quote Originally Posted by Galloway Farms, L.L.C. View Post
    I hire a babysitter so I can go out and ride...and I own the barn! Shows you what I think about my little ones running amuck. I'm not afraid they will do anything wrong, just afraid I might run one over...lol
    I totally appreciate people like you! I have no problems with my horse being kid-proofed, how ever it makes me (not my horse) a wreck when they are zinging around running behind horses or doing other foolish things. I am the bitchy childless adult who will tell a loose kid to get out of the arena when I am riding-- not because I fear my horse will be spooked by the child, but because he is a horse. He is generally GREAT with kids, but he is fully capable of throwing a wobbly and doing any number of silly horse things that could get a kid hurt. I have no issue with well behaved/supervised kids or dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by kmwines01 View Post
    At least it wasn't groups, multiple large groups, of school children on tours! We went to the National Western Stock show this weekend where there is a USEF hunter jumper show in addition to all the livestock stuff. The announcers were pretty good about keeping people off the railing in the actual competition arena, however somebody decided it would be a good plan to put children's activities right next to the schooling ring. There were children, probably about 10-20 at a time, standing on benches next to the ring. Also, people were able to freely roam around the stabling area. Several people came up and without asking, allowed small children to stick hands and fingers inside the bars of the stalls to try and pet horses. I'm definitely of the mind that a show horse should be able to deal with distractions, but having hordes of loud children jumping onto the walls and rocking on bouncing horse toys right immediately adjacent to the warm up ring is a bit ridiculous. I didn't notice the noise level in the arena when I was doing my jumping trips due to my zoning out but when I went in for the flat it was crazy how loud the chatter was from so many kids.
    Good heavens, spectators at a horse show?! No empty stands on all sides? Such a travesty. Something must be done. We might actually get some more sponsors, or some of those kids might go home and ask for riding lessons or ask to go see another show--the horrors.

There is a distinct difference between a group of yelling, screaming children jumping up and down on bleachers and your average show spectator.
    And this is the story of your red right ankle.

We have three kids that run around and do whatever at the barn. Makes working with a two year old even more fun. I have to tell the kids please dont come down to the indoor. Told the father and he said nothing. No ok I will watch them or tell them again. They throw rocks and run around with the wagon and play with sticks... all fun stuff

Dogs? I could care less. Many/most horses are used to seeing dogs and the worst thing that usually happens is that the dog gets kicked or stepped on, which won't hurt my feelings.

Kids? I really dislike kids running free, without supervision. If they get stepped on, kicked, bitten, etc. it is a lawsuit waiting to happen. They are also more likely to spook a horse considering they are commonly riding bicycles, skateboards, scooters, etc. I have seen many accidents, including one that resulted in a kid spending the rest of her life in a comatose/vegetative state, due to not be supervised by an adult.

I totally think that barns/horse shows are a WONDERFUL environment for kids but they have to follow safety rules. It's never a big deal until someone gets hurt....

Children AND dogs ALWAYS belong on a leash...not just at shows!!! PERIOD

I have two small children, and a dog, and agree with this sentiment.

I rarely, if ever, take my kids to the barn. I don't enjoy my time there when I'm trying to supervise them and deal with my horse. Too much room for error and too much risk for kids + horses. They aren't old enough to have the kind of awareness they need to stay safe, even if I'm micromanaging.

Dogs... I don't mind if they are leashed and/or well behaved.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Quote Originally Posted by HoofaSchmigetty View Post
    Children AND dogs ALWAYS belong on a leash...not just at shows!!! PERIOD
    That is too funny.

I just want to interject that it is not fair to the person who is riding or owns the horse that accidently runs over or kills said unruly kid who is left alone to run amuck. The person who owns that horse will have to deal with that devestation for the rest of their life. Easily could develop some major depression issues. Just because someone didn't care enough about their kid to keep them supervised. I'm sorry horses are 1000lbs+ animals with their own brains...accidents happen. Be a decent parent and supervise them, or don't be one at all

It's kind of like the parents who let their kids play on the street unsupervised and one runs out right in front of a car. Even if the driver is paying attention, they still kill the kid, and have to deal with that for the rest of their life!!

Quote Originally Posted by Galloway Farms, L.L.C. View Post
    I'm in this camp as well (and also have my own barn). I'm not "afraid" they'll do something destructive and/or dangerous, I "know" they will

I actually love the dogs as long as they aren't in the ring while we're riding... Except that they always are. They almost get stepped on daily, but it doesn't phase them.

Unsupervised kids are another thing all together. They are always where they aren't supposed to be. Which is dangerous for them and everybody else.

^^^I agree completely...Feral children are not allowed on my farm, period.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

How about when the parents WATCH their kids destroy the farms rolltop by jumping on it from the ring fence? Yep, happened today at the show I was judging. Parents thought it was cute the way they were denting it.....arrgghhh
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Non-horse savvy, unsupervised children in the barn terrify me. I have my horses at home, and last year one of my co-workers talked me into letting her kids come out and "meet" the horses. Bad idea. Nothing horrific happened, but three hyperactive children (the most hyperactive children I have ever seen) that won't listen and who talk non-stop at a volume of ten while trying to chase the donkey...egads. I got them out of there right quick.

I don't let my dogs in the barn either. I'm a vet tech and I've seen way too many tragedies involving horses and dogs, and the dogs are always the losers. I'm down to one dog, who is a runner (she's a Beagle, aka a giant nose with a dog attached), so she stays in the fenced yard and watches me the whole time.

I can totally empathize with kmwines and the kids at the horse show. When I was a junior, we always showed at Eastern States Exposition, and that was definitely the most electric atmosphere--ferris wheel within site of the warm up ring, demolition derbies at night, people leaning over the rails trying to touch your horse as you canter by. Challenging to say the least.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

I think kids and horses are a fabulous combination. Within reasonable behavior expectations and with proper guidance.

I think parents who intentionally fail to properly supervise their children deserve to have everything which happens to their poor kids happen to them.

Accidents will happen, and properly supervised kids will get hurt - because horses are still horses, even when well-trained and supervised. But if parents aren't making the effort to keep them safe... the parents deserve to be the ones who get injured.

I can see what's essentially a playground next to a show arena being scary! I'm lucky that our arena is next to our neighbors' backyard, so I often ride during parties over there. My horse has been hit by an un-caught football without caring, but he really took a while to get used to trampolines. He wouldn't take that sort of thing nearly so well at a show where he gets hyped up.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

I would like to say this:

IT'S A TRACTOR, NOT A CLIMBING STRUCTURE!

and

THOSE ARE SHAVINGS, NOT A SANDBOX!!!

Thank you.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.