The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

I did not get your message.

I will not be getting Lolly Beth does not want her to be bred.

That's a real shame.

That explains why I'm getting the runaround. What else she thinks anyone would want a broodmare for, when there are better bets for retraining with horses at the track, I don't know, but it's her horse...

I've seen several really nice, older broodmares back in work, kicking ass and taking names out in the hunt field. :-). I do hope she can find Lolly a good place that works for her.

Quote Originally Posted by TimelyImpulse View Post
    I will be picking up Starduster next Sunday. Coggins will be pulled Tues. It's about $60 for farm call split/ draw, but I will confirm with vet tomorrow.

Lolly is a sweetie. Both mares were turned out when I got there, and they were taking turns playing jaccuzzi in the stock tank. Silly mares. Beautiful feet on both, barefoot. Both well behaved on lead. Picked up their feet, racetrack style, and no problem. Lolly has very soft eyes and is quite the lady. Please, someone get her. If you commit, there is still time to get the coggins done Tuesday. And, I am still willing to have her at my place for a week or two if shipping needs to be arranged, IF The owner is OK with it. She is extremely reasonable and cares deeply for these horses.
    Sending you a PM, get back to me...
    ~Rest in Peace Woody...1975-2008~

I'm picking up Starduster Saturday.

Bump for Lolly.

Timely, would you take both if you had some $$ to help with expenses?

Yes, I would. And, just committed (or maybe I should be committed!!!) to taking Lolly to my place too.
    Last edited by TimelyImpulse; Jan. 24, 2012 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Filling one more stall....

Hi all, just caught this thread again, thanks for all of the posts- Beth and I have been working very hard to find the right homes for these mares! We thought we had them all placed and just now Lolly's seemingly perfect home fell through. This is so disheartening but I told Beth never count on them being adopted until they leave the farm. Here at MAHR if and when someone backs out at the last minute, it is just an inconvenience. With Lolly, it is so much more.

I dont think either of us has "dropped the ball" as someone posted. We have had hundreds of emails, but far too many arent qualified or committed. ("I live in the south, am lookin to get me a ridin horse, you can send her here"- for real this was a call we had.) As far as breeding goes, we certainly can't prevent someone from breeding these mares, however that would not be our first choice for homes. We buy WAY too many TBs out of the kill pen. And WAY too many older broodies are sent to slaughter when their useful days are over. The ideal home would be as someone's riding horse......just sayin'

At this point, we are scrambling to find Lolly a home. The estate has said the 31st is the date, no exceptions, even though we explained the cost associated with euthanasia and disposal.......gotta get back to work now, so we can get her placed. Send me an email if you all have any ideas. Thanks!
    Be a part of the solution~ Adopt a thoroughbred!
    MidAtlanticHorseRescue.org

PS depending on the vet, you can do a quick coggins turnaround- we get ours online from EquineVetCare at Fair Hill in 24 hrs- they have a lab there, but are too far from Westminster though....there have to be others in that area though!

Lolly is getting a coggins today.

Quote Originally Posted by BeverlyAStrauss View Post
    PS depending on the vet, you can do a quick coggins turnaround- we get ours online from EquineVetCare at Fair Hill in 24 hrs- they have a lab there, but are too far from Westminster though....there have to be others in that area though!
    Interesting. I called a couple of the vets Beth found near Westminster, and they said that they could get the results by phone 24 hours after the lab processed the sample, but they couldn't guarantee papers in hand for shipping until several days later.

So the timeline I was getting was sort of like day 1 blood draw, day 2 sample begin processing at lab, day 3 phone results, day 4 paperwork could be sent from lab, day 5 was the day a copy of the papers could be picked up. And these were all business days, nothing happening on weekends.

Now, it seems like there are a few steps there that could have been expedited a little more. Perhaps the biggest problem is that I'm just naturally a very calm person, so maybe I wasn't properly expressing the urgency of the situation?
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

The email chain confuses me now ... is Timely taking Lolly?

Quote Originally Posted by bathsheba8542 View Post
    The email chain confuses me now ... is Timely taking Lolly?
    I agree, is the mare placed?
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

Kudos to Beth and Beverly for working for the nice horses...under some stressful circumstances. Clearly, people contacting are not purposely ignored! Hopefully interested parties will surface up through all the junk emails and calls.

Bump for Lolly finding a green pasture -- if she has not been placed. And any other horse still not placed.

I will take her as a stop gap, temporary measure, if by Saturday she is not placed, to give Bev and Beth more time to find her a home. 1/31 is her final day if she is not off the farm.

Yay, TimelyImpulse! You are a wonderful person!!!! I've sent you a PM.

Wow. TimelyImpulse is right!

Lolly is a very lucky girl. Now lets see if a good home can be found now that she has a way station.

Bump for permanent Lolly home. Can someone repost the correct link for those interested in applying to home Lolly?

Red face I apologize...

Quote Originally Posted by BeverlyAStrauss View Post
    Hi all, just caught this thread again, thanks for all of the posts- Beth and I have been working very hard to find the right homes for these mares! We thought we had them all placed and just now Lolly's seemingly perfect home fell through. This is so disheartening but I told Beth never count on them being adopted until they leave the farm. Here at MAHR if and when someone backs out at the last minute, it is just an inconvenience. With Lolly, it is so much more.

I dont think either of us has "dropped the ball" as someone posted. We have had hundreds of emails, but far too many arent qualified or committed. ("I live in the south, am lookin to get me a ridin horse, you can send her here"- for real this was a call we had.) As far as breeding goes, we certainly can't prevent someone from breeding these mares, however that would not be our first choice for homes. We buy WAY too many TBs out of the kill pen. And WAY too many older broodies are sent to slaughter when their useful days are over. The ideal home would be as someone's riding horse......just sayin'

At this point, we are scrambling to find Lolly a home. The estate has said the 31st is the date, no exceptions, even though we explained the cost associated with euthanasia and disposal.......gotta get back to work now, so we can get her placed. Send me an email if you all have any ideas. Thanks!
    Beverly, I am the one who wondered "if someone had dropped the ball"... I can see that you all have been working hard behind the scenes to reach the best outcome for these mares. I'm sure you realize that well-meaning people get involved and sometimes start speculating when there are unanswered questions or a lack of updates.
    That is exactly what happened in my case. I didn't consider the numerous posts (facebook, COTH, etc.) concerning the placement of these mares, and how complex the actual business of placing them might be.
    The fact that I knew someone whom I thought to be a credible "adopter" who didn't get Way Easy - then "hearing" incorrectly that she might not get a home, probably colored my perception.
    I should not have speculated and I sincerely apologize for second guessing the good that you all are trying to accomplish.
    I have no doubt that euthanasia at a home farm, where a horse has lived most of it's life is a kind and dignified end, and if these mares did not all find qualified homes that would have been the best thing for them. However, I prematurely assumed that their chances for good homes were not being thoroughly followed up on.
    I was wrong.
    Again, please accept my apology.

-Susan