The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Favorite horse poems/quotes/sayings

So, I was wondering.. what is everyone's favorite poem, quote, saying about horses?

And he looks at me, with eyes wiser than his years. He cannot tell me what his mind is saying, so instead he uses his powerful body to communicate. Sometimes his eyes alone can show the meaning behind his actions and other times just they way he carries himself tells me how he feels. There is no truer friend then him, for he knows me inside and out. When I sit astride him he listens to what my body tells him; not because he has to, but because he WANTS to. You cannot trap his spirit or be his master, for his soul alone is purer, his body, rippled with muscle, more powerful, his heart more forgiving than your own. He is an Angel without wings, his forelock and mane, his halo. He is more courageous, more loving, more trusting, more powerful, than any other being in this world - and yet so gentle as to let me join him on his Journey. He is my best friend, who tells no one of my secrets, who rejoices in my joys, shares in my sorrows, and his neck is always there to wrap around me in a caress. A caress that gives me everything I've ever needed: Warmth, security, hope, strength, and reassurance. I cannot break his spirit, nor would I ever want to. I cannot be his Master; only his Partner. When I do wrong, he does not judge me. When I cry, he comforts me. When I laugh, he prances around with his head held high and his tail streaming behind like silk. It is not I who teach him, it is he who teaches me. He does not need to talk for me to listen, I understand him in a way I'll never understand even myself. And he knows me, more than anyone that walks this earth. And he accepts me, for everything I am.. and everything I am not.

I just wrote that, so I appreciate no negative comments.

1 members found this post helpful.

It may not be a quote directly about horses...but it's my favorite youtube video ever. I swear I've watched it a million times, but it still gives me the shivers.

Inches-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN8cv...19ALTk3XMAAAAA

"Grief is the price we pay for knowing a love that runs so deep"- Gretchen Jackson

"You are a great champion. When you ran, the ground shook, the sky opened and mere mortals parted. Parted the way to victory, where you'll meet me in the winner's circle, where I'll put a blanket of flowers on your back. "- Cale Crane, from the movie Dreamer

"A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character" - unknown

and hearing/reading these words always gives me goosebumps

"They're on the turn, and Secretariat is blazing along! The first three-quarters of a mile in 1:09 and four fifths. Secretariat is widening now! He is moving like a TREMENDOUS machine! Secretariat by twelve, Secretariat by fourteen lengths on the turn! Sham is dropping back. It looks like they'll catch him today, as My Gallant and Twice a Prince are both coming up to him now. But Secretariat is all alone! He's out there almost a sixteenth of a mile away from the rest of the horses! Secretariat is in a position that seems impossible to catch. He's into the stretch. Secretariat leads this field by 18 lengths, and now Twice a Prince has taken second and My Gallant has moved back to third. They're in the stretch. Secretariat has opened a 22 length lead! He is going to be the Triple Crown winner! Here comes Secretariat to the wire. An unbelievable, an amazing performance! He hits the finish 25 lengths in front! It's going to be Twice a Prince second, My Gallant third, Private Smiles fourth, and Sham, who had it today, dropped back to fifth." - Chic Anderson

The worst of them sense our fears and take advantage of us. The best of them sense our dreams and take us there. - Jimmy Wofford
    My favorite.

2 members found this post helpful.

"God forbid that I shall go to a heaven where there are no horses"

Winston Churchill:
    "The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man."

forgot who said this but: " A good canter is the cure for all evils"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**

Though it is morbid, I have always liked the Kipling poem, "The Undertaker's Horse." While it would be incongrous in India, I always picture a Friesian:

The eldest son bestrides him
    And the pretty daughter rides him
    And I meet him 'oft o mornings on the course,
    but there arises in my bosom
    an emotion chill and gruesome
    As I canter past the undertaker's horse.

With your mane unhogged and flowing,
    and your curious way of going
    and your businesslike black crimping of your tail,
    E'en with beauty on your back, sir
    Pacing as a lady's hack, sir,
    Is it any wonder I turn pale?

(That may not be exact, and there are many more verses, but you get the idea)

Kipling, of course, has a fair number of horse references: I also like "The Winnersi" which includes what has become an old saw: "Down to Gehenna or up to the throne, he travels the fastest who travels alone!"

And of course, while it is not poetry, his famous short story, "The Maltese Cat." He refers to one horse in it has having legs of iron, that it would not feel being struck by a polo mallet. Always made me think of my old Appy eventer - a real tough guy.

For sheer sadness, I can never forget Vachel Lindsay's "The Bronco that Would Not Be Broken of Dancing." (Makes me think of my horse, but not the sad ending! SOMEDAY he'll stop "dancing" on the trail!)

http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/the-b...not-be-broken/

"Horses are just like people; there are smart ones, dumb ones, miserable ones, honest ones, simple ones, cheats, freaks, leaders and laggards. They have good days, bad days and plenty of average days. They can be brilliant one minute, horrible the next. They can remember something that happened a year ago and forget what they learned yesterday. They’ll walk placidly into a metal starting gate that clangs and rings when the doors open, and then be scared of a bucket that wasn’t there yesterday."

I believe this was said by Quality Road's trainer after he wouldn't load into the gate for the 2009 Breeder's Cup Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by hightide View Post
    The worst of them sense our fears and take advantage of us. The best of them sense our dreams and take us there. - Jimmy Wofford
    I hadn't heard that Woffordism, but I LOFF it!
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

I think it's Thin Line that has bags for their pads with horse quotes all over them. I want to buy another pad just for the bag!!

Quote Originally Posted by eventerchick517 View Post
    It may not be a quote directly about horses...but it's my favorite youtube video ever. I swear I've watched it a million times, but it still gives me the shivers.

Inches-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN8cv...19ALTk3XMAAAAA
    This Video just made my night. Thanks for that
    You're trying to do something normal people wouldn't do because they're terrified they might fail. -Boyd Martin

Definition of a Horse:

"A large mammal looking for an expensive and inconvenient way to die."

Someone here on COTH has this on their signature line and not sure if they made it up or it has another origin.

Also "My horse ate my paycheck."

and here are several more horse quotes
    http://www.quotegarden.com/horses.html

Rainbow Bridge poem.....know it is used in sad times, but it is comforting in sad times....I know Golden Boy, my first horse, will be there, with my Dad waiting for me!

"The world was conquered from the back of a horse."

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between the ears of a horse."

"Gypsy gold does not chink and glitter. It gleams in the sun and neighs in the dark."

I bless the hoss from hoof to head -
    From head to hoof, and tale to mane! -
    I bless the hoss, as I have said,
    From head to hoof, and back again!

-James Whitcomb Riley

"He flung himself upon his horse and rode madly off in all directions." - Stephen Leacock

I just found the second one while looking for the first, and the mental image is making me laugh. It feels accurate.

I have a sign in my tackroom that says "No hour of life is lost that is spent in the saddle" as quoted from Winston Churchill. Its one of my favorites because I get to look at it every time I'm trying to squeeze a ride in after working all day!

Horse thou art truly a creature without equal, for thou fliest without wings, and conquorest without sword.
    Horse, thou art truly a creature without equal, for thou fliest without wings and conquerest without sword.

Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. W.C. Fields

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Somewhere in time's own space
    There must be some sweet pastured place
    Where creeks sing on and tall trees grow
    Some paradise where horses go,
    For by the love that guides my pen
    I know great horses live again.
    ~Stanley Harrison

This one kept me sane when I lost my 2 boys - Vern & Cash - the same awful day.
    And oddly now, I hear it in my mind as Sam displays some of the same Cash's sweetness and Kouma replays Vern's TB 'tude in pony-size.

I cannot read this without tearing up:
    (stoopid of me to post a printout by my desk at work...)

When I am an old horsewoman
    I shall wear turquoise and diamonds,
    And a straw hat that doesn’t suit me
    And I shall spend my social security on
    white wine and carrots,
    And sit in my alleyway of my barn
    And listen to my horses breathe.

I will sneak out in the middle of a summer night
    And ride the old bay gelding,
    Across the moonstruck meadow
    If my old bones will allow
    And when people come to call, I will smile and nod
    As I walk past the gardens to the barn
    and show instead of flowers growing,
    stalls fresh-lined with straw.
    I will shovel and sweat and wear hay in my hair
    as if it were a jewel
    And I will be an embarrassment to all
    Who will not yet have found the peace in being free
    to have a horse as a best friend
    A friend who waits at midnight hour
    With muzzle and nicker and patient eyes
    For the kind of woman I will be
    When I am old.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

I had the honor this weekend of seeing Kelso's grave.

"Where he gallops, the earth sings"

Says it all. Choked me up and gives me goosebumps even now as I type this.

And so well deserved.
    My big man - April 27, 1986 - September 04, 2008-
    You're with me every moment, my big red horse.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting a battle of some kind.

"A lovely horse is always an experience. It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words." Beryl Markham
    "Red on the right, white on the left, insanity in the middle."