The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best Crockpot Recipes?

Can anyone recommend some easy and tasty crockpot recipes for someone who is cooking challenged (me)? My s/o is southern and a fantastic cook, but he works all day and I'm staying at home for now so I feel bad having him come home and being forced to make dinner so I've decided to take some of the meals in to my own hands. Only problem is that he really is an unbelievable cook and I want to feed him something that is pretty tasty.

I have been known to burn down the house when boiling water (no, really), so I need something that is easy and would prefer cooking in the crockpot. Any suggestions?

One that I made last week that turned out fantastic is Chicken and Dumplings and it was great! I definitely recommend it, even the s/o loved it, but of course I'd like to try something a little different this time around.
    "to live is the rarest thing in the world, most people merely exist."

I don't use my crockpot much, but this is definitely a favorite:

Crockpot Chicken and Noodles

One package boneless skinless chicken thighs - OR - one package boneless skinless chicken breasts (in my opinion, the thighs produce a better & moister end product, but breast pieces work if you’re a white-meat-only fan)
    ½ a stick of unsalted butter, melted
    1 can Campbell’s “Golden Mushroom” condensed soup
    1 small packet dry Italian dressing mix
    4 oz. container “Chive and Onion” cream cheese
    ¾ Campbell soup can full of dry white wine (Chablis, Pinot Grigio, Sauvignon Blanc)
    One 8-ounce package white button mushrooms, rinsed & halved
    Chopped/minced fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley for garnish (optional)
    Freshly ground black pepper to taste
    Egg noodles for serving, cooked according to package directions

Add melted butter, soup, wine, Italian dressing mix, & cream cheese to crockpot. Whisk until relatively smooth. Stir in mushrooms & nestle whole chicken pieces into sauce, spooning a little sauce on top of chicken. Cook on low for four (4) hours (no lifting the cover to peek – it skews the cooking time!). Remove chicken, shred or cut into bite-size pieces, & return to pot. Serve over cooked egg noodles garnished with parsley & freshly ground black pepper.

Pulled chicken

Chicken breasts (I use about 2 lbs) boneless. You can use boneless, skinless chicken thighs too

Jar of BBQ sauce

One onion sliced

Cook on low all day or high for a couple of hours and low for a couple. Shred chicken with forks.

It's GREAT!

You can do the same thing with a pork butt or a Brisket too. I add a little water for the brisket. You can add a little Coke if it's too dry too at the beginning of cooking.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

There is a cookbook I got from Amazon called "Not Your Mothers Crockpot Recipes" or something similar. It has recipes for EVERYTHING you can make in a crock pot. Lots of the soups and stews are awesome.

I'm making corned beef and cabbage in mine tomorrow. I made potroast the other night. I love my crockpot!! You can just google what you want to make and add crockpot for the recipe, crockpot potroast, etc. Once you get the hang of the crockpot it is sooo easy!!

Try these, especially the Brunswick Stew.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

My favorite is a pork roast that has a hint of oriental flavor to it.

Ingredients:
    1 very large or two medium onions, sliced
    5-6 cloves of fresh garlick, sliced longways into "spears"
    1/2 cup water
    1 tablespoon soy sauce
    2 whole cloves
    1 large or two small bay leaves
    some sort of potatoes (I use small red potatoes that are about 2" in diameter or you can cut up regular potatoes to that size pieces)
    carrots (baby carrots or cut up regular carrots to largish pieces)
    salt or meat tenderizer that contains salt
    1 tablespoon seasoned pepper
    pork roast
    1 tablespoon flour

Preparation:
    Stab the roast with a knife all over and shove a piece of garlic into each hole. I do about 10 holes in each side.

Sprikle with salt or meat tenderizer. Sprinkle both sides lightly with flour while heating a couple tablespoons of oil in a skillet large enough to sear the roast. When oil is hot, sear the roast on both sides (and edges if you want) til the flour is just browning.

Spread bottom of crock pot with 1/2 of the sliced onions. Put seared roast into pot. Cover with the rest of the onions and sprinkle with the seasoned pepper.

Mix the soy sauce into the water and pour over the roast. Drop in the cloves and the bay leaves. Cover and cook 3 hours. Then add the carrots and potatoes and cook 2-3 more hours until tender, but you cannot really overcook it.

I usually put this on around noon and it is wonderful by dinner at 7:00 pm.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

I have the Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker For Two book. Awesome book, especially if you're not trying to feed a small army.

This one is a favorite of mine. I cut it in half.
    http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Tuscan-Pork-Stew

I'm going to try this one today, we'll see how it turns out
    http://www.delish.com/recipefinder/g...ut-recipe-9237

BES
    Proudly owned by 2 chestnut mares
    Crayola Posse: sea green
    Mighty Rehabbers Clique

This website has some fantastic Crock Pot recipes:
    http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

The Beef Bourguinuon recipe from there is one of our favorites and the Doro Wat is in my Crock Pot as I type.

I make a variation of this at LEAST once a week

Extra firm tofu, sliced thickly. Put this on the bottom. (or you could use chicken)

Add any small cut up veggies. (I love snow peas, baby peas, carrot and baby corn combo for this)

Cover with one jar of Indian "simmer sauce". I love the Vindaloo (vegan, and SPICY) but any would work.

Cook on low for like 4-6 hours (if using chicken, research how long to cook, I don't know).

Serve with rice. This is one of my faves (even DH scarfs it, and he usually hates my "weird vegan food"). I always am looking for slow cooker recipes, but SO many of them are cream soup based (ick).
    When the boogeyman goes to sleep, he checks the closet for George Morris. -mpsbarnmanager

Quote Originally Posted by tasia View Post
    I'm making corned beef and cabbage in mine tomorrow. I made potroast the other night. I love my crockpot!! You can just google what you want to make and add crockpot for the recipe, crockpot potroast, etc. Once you get the hang of the crockpot it is sooo easy!!
    There's nothing better than corned beef in the crockpot!

Beans! The slow cooker is a great way to cook beans. My favorite is the 'ten bean soup mix' at Sprouts (which has lentils and barley, not just beans) and this recipe:

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/...8-9d2ddf8e93bb

(IMO it needs more pepper, it's a bit bland as written.)

There are a bunch of other crock pot recipes on that site you can look through as well.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by Frank B View Post
    Try these, especially the Brunswick Stew.
    Ooooh thanks Frank!!!! Been looking for a good recipe for Brunswick Stew! And silly me, I had no idea you could make cheese dip in it either. I'll have to perfect that.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Quote Originally Posted by Rodeio View Post
    There is a cookbook I got from Amazon called "Not Your Mothers Crockpot Recipes" or something similar. It has recipes for EVERYTHING you can make in a crock pot. Lots of the soups and stews are awesome.
    I second this recommendation. It's here:

http://www.amazon.com/Your-Mothers-S...5550148&sr=8-1

It's hard to find slow cooker recipes that aren't based on canned soups, which I won't use as they are full of salt and who knows what else. This book uses fresh ingredients instead. I've made a number of things from this book and all are good. The "Mom's Beef Stew" is always a big hit.

There's also a recipe for pulled pork on Rival's site. You basically put a pork roast in the pot all day and then shred it and put in some chopped onions and barbeque sauce and leave it in there for another hour or so. DH loves that.

Salsa Chicken
    4 chicken breasts
    1 packet taco seasoning (I use the lower sodium kind and only use about 1/2 packet)
    1 can cream of mushroom (I use the low fat kind)
    1 cup salsa
    I also had about 1 cup of corn (frozen or one small can drained)
    1/2 cup sour cream (I use light)

Place chicken in the bottom of the crockpot. Sprinkle taco seasoning over the top. Dump cream of mushroom over the top.. spread it out. Put salsa over that and spread it a little. Then I just sprinkle the corn on. Cook on low for 6-7 hours. Half an hour before serving stir in the sour cream. I serve it over brown rice. It's actually really low calorie, which is a bonus. Hubby LOVES this stuff... he told me the other day it's one of his favorite things I make lol. It's super easy and I can literally throw everything in there in less than 5 mintues.

****As a tip I would definitely suggest getting crockpot liners. I find them with the ziploc/aluminum foil/etc section. Makes cleanup super easy (just lift out and throw away) and you don't spend ages scrubbing the "crust" off the crockpot.****

Default ~ Crock Pot Macaroni and Cheese ~

Note: Well, I have to say, I LOVE this version of Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese! Why? You put the noodles in dry, uncooked!!! Yep, you read that correctly! For me, dumping in the ingredients and starting the crock pot is the whole point!!

Ingredients:
    Cooking oil spray
    2 cups skim milk
    1 (12 oz.) can evaporated milk
    1 egg
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp. pepper
    1 1/2 cups pre-shredded sharp cheddar cheese
    2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni

Directions:
    Spray the pot of the slow cooker or if using a liner bag, spray the bag well. In a mixing bowl whisk together milk, evaporated milk, egg, salt and pepper. Pour milk mixture into the crock pot. Add cheese and uncooked macaroni. Stir gently to mix.

Turn slow cooker on low and cook 3-4 hours, or until the custard is set and the macaroni is tender. (Do not cook more than 4 hours, or the sides will begin to dry out). Serve at once.

Tips: between the 3-4 hour mark on low, the edges start to get that crispy, cheesy edge. My kids love that part, but if yours don't you'll want to make this when you know you can cut it to warm or serve it at about the three hour mark.

2 members found this post helpful.

4 cups of good chicken stock - needs to be rich
    4 cups water OR 4 cups vegetable stock
    1 can rinsed and drained kidney beans
    1 can diced tomatoes, including juice
    1/2 pound of Klebasia, slice lengthwise, then into 1/4" half moons
    1 large onion, peeled, cut in half moons
    2 large carrots, cut about 1/3"
    4 medium celery stalks, cut about 1/3"
    5 to 6 small red potatoes, with skins, cut into 1/2" chuncks
    4 to 6 cloves of garlic, diced fine – or MORE to taste
    1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cumin, to taste
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper

Enjoy. :-))

Pot roast with potatoes, onions, celery,and carrots is good. I usually add one pack of Lipton Onion soup mix. Add water not quite covering the meat. Cook on low at least 4 hours( will depend on size of pot roast, may need to cook longer if pot roast is larger). Pork chops with sauerkraut(large can), onions (cut up), apples (sliced),some brown sugar( probably about 1/2 cup) Cook about 3 hours( again size of meat will alter cooking times a bit) I add the juice from the sauerkraut and 1-2 cups water.

I've done this pulled pork in the crock pot and it is SO easy and SO delicious (scroll down for the recipe). To adjust for the crock pot, pretty much toss it all in (not the slaw of course), let it sit on high for 2 hours then low for another 4 or until super tender, then mix it up/remove bone before serving.

SWEET HAWAIIAN CROCK-POT CHICKEN

4 lb. Chicken tenderloin chunks
    2 cup pineapple juice
    1 cup brown sugar
    1 cup light soy sauce

Combine all together, cook on low in Crock-pot 6-8 hours. Serve over rice!

Crock Pot Chicken Teriyaki

Ingredients

1 lbs chicken, diced
    1 cup chicken broth
    ½ cup teriyaki sauce
    ? cup brown sugar
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    Toasted Sesame Seeds

1. Combine chicken broth, teriyaki sauce, brown sugar and garlic cloves in large bowl.

2. Add chicken to sauce, and toss to combine.

3. Pour chicken mixture into crock-pot.

4. Cook on low 4-6 hours, or until chicken is cooked through.

5. Serve over hot cooked rice, sprinkled with sesame seeds and spoon extra sauce if desired.

Slow-Cooked Thai Peanut Chicken

• 1 cup all-purpose flour
    • 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 2 pounds)
    • 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
    • 1/2 cup orange juice
    • 1/4 cup orange marmalade
    • 2 tablespoons sesame oil
    • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
    • 2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
    • 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
    • 1 can (14 ounces) light coconut milk, divided
    • 1 cup uncooked basmati rice
    • 3/4 cup water
    • 1/2 cup chopped salted peanuts

• Place flour in a large re-sealable plastic bag. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. Transfer to a greased 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker.
    • In a small bowl, combine the peanut butter, orange juice, marmalade, oil, soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, hoisin sauce and 3/4 cup coconut milk; pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until chicken is tender.
    • In a small saucepan, bring the rice, water and remaining coconut milk to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender. Fluff with a fork. Serve with chicken and sauce; sprinkle with peanuts.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."