The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default I LOVE USED Saddles...BUT Another thread about Toulouse saddles...

...particularly the Marielle XC saddle, but need input about the others as well. i'M EDITING THIS TO SAY I"M DESPERATE TO GET A SADDLE FOR MY STAY AT HOME HORSE. Yes, I've read the recent posts, but still need more info. I've got a LOVELY Black Country Vinici jump saddle for Rasta but he's off with a friend getting ready for his Training debut. I've got a horse to ride while he's out eventing but need a saddle (bareback riding is fine occasionally and lately I've done a lot of it, but sorry, those days are LONG behind me for more than walking and jog trots ). The Toulouse saddles are affordable (sorta) and I don't need the saddle to last forever (plan on being back in my lovely BC Vinici jump by late spring at the latest!), though needs to fit well cause the "second" horse will always be ridden for trail riding, lessons, etc.

Could someone out there with Toulouse saddles let me know the following:
    • what is the measurement of the gullet for a medium tree saddle?
    • what is the measurement of the gullet for a wide tree saddle?
    • for all models other than the Marielle, have you jumped novice -Training XC fences in your saddle? If so pluses and minuses?
    I've got to get something affordable AND that fits well as soon as possible. My friend and I are currently playing tag with saddles and live about an hour and a half from each other!!!! THANKS!!!!
    Last edited by RunForIt; Jan. 2, 2012 at 12:52 PM.
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

The problem is, Lynda, that from what I've noticed about these saddles, they tend to be a little lax on the quality control, so that one saddle differs wildly from the other in terms of balance. So, just because one saddle has divine balance over fences does not necessarily mean that another one in the same make will have the same balance. Also, the flocking in these saddles is also suspect - my saddle fitter has taken several apart after scanning them only to find very uneven/inconsistent flocking.

Do you think you could be better off finding a Philiip Fontaine (similar price range, but far more consistent - from what I've seen - in quality)? Or a Collegiate? Or a used stubben? Just a thought....I've not been impressed with the Toulouse saddles.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

SmartPak has (or had) a no-strings test-ride program for theh Toulouse saddles--choose the one you like, try it, and if it doesn't work you're only out $25 to send it back. You might also try calling them to see if someone can measure a gullet for you, but personally I would just order one for a test ride and see if it suits.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by eventer_mi View Post
    The problem is, Lynda, that from what I've noticed about these saddles, they tend to be a little lax on the quality control, so that one saddle differs wildly from the other in terms of balance. So, just because one saddle has divine balance over fences does not necessarily mean that another one in the same make will have the same balance. Also, the flocking in these saddles is also suspect - my saddle fitter has taken several apart after scanning them only to find very uneven/inconsistent flocking.

Do you think you could be better off finding a Philiip Fontaine (similar price range, but far more consistent - from what I've seen - in quality)? Or a Collegiate? Or a used stubben? Just a thought....I've not been impressed with the Toulouse saddles.
    I can always count on you! Thanks to you, too DW!!! Saddles are such a PITA! I get one that works and then send that horse off...and...need another saddle - ACK! So, I'll do a search on the ones you suggested eventer_mi...any chance you might email your saddle fitter and see if she might have any 17" mediums on the wider side of medium or a MW? hmmmm....??? xoxo
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

I've heard similiar about Tolouse, but some folks LOVE THEM. If you want to talk to Lynda at Classic Saddlery, she can help you. They have tons and many on super clearance.

But if it were me, and I had about $1000, I'd get a nice USED Albion, Barnsby, Ainsley, Smith Worthington, Baines, Northrun/Ashland, Ashley & Clarke, or you can even find a used County (I know of a Stabilzer for $900)

All of the above saddles are very high-quality and can be found USED for very reasonable. You still have to do your research to see which model/size would fit - and that is the hard part.

What I did was a combination of finding saddles at consignment stores, locally, plus scouring local classifieds plus shipping back and forth the demo saddles or online consignment.

Shipping will be expensive as you will likely have to try more than a couple. But it's worth paying even $100 in shipping, if say you found a perfect Albion K2 in used condition for $700 (I found one for that price on ebay)

Oh - and Bates can easily be had for that budget. I loved my older Caprilli Close Contact, but never jumped more than 3 feet. Rode that thing through heck and high water and love it (until I got my County Innovation XTR)

Good luck. Saddle shopping is a pain!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**

Default why not get a MT in the adjustable tree

Why not try out an MT in the adjustable? Then when you have other horses, you have a saddle you can adjust to get by.

Some of the Toulouse saddles are fantastic, but as observed, quality control is a BIG problem. So you never know what you'll get. Also just talked to my saddle fitter about their new adjustable trees and her response was not favourable -- she said that whenever you adjust it, it goes all wonky, the balance point changes, the shape changes and their little system does not work well at all. I was sad to hear that but it was what I had suspected.

RFI, let me be extremely frank. I hope you know by now, after all our years of correspondence during your saddle fitting trials, that I'm pretty objective about saddle brands. I think there's a happy customer to be had for 95% of brands on the market. In the past three months, I've helped three people buy saddles on $600 budgets--and we came in UNDER budget every time. In short, I wish to remind you that I am not a brand-ist nor a price-ist.

But friends don't let friends buy the Toulouse Marielle Monoflap. In fact, friends generally don't let friends buy Toulouse saddles at all. I kept my mouth shut on your last thread because I was sure someone else would say it, but they didn't, so let me say it as clearly as possible: don't do it because none of us want to hear from you in 6 to 12 months about how it's either a) not fitting your horse, b) falling apart, or c) impeding your riding because the flap and blocks are so weirdly placed.

If you insist on proceeding, here's a key hint: you can't just measure any old Toulouse to get the measurements you want. The brand's entire schtick is to attempt to knock off high-end brands and models--usually poorly, although there are a few notable exceptions--and that means they're using a huge diversity of tree and panel configurations. This is not like, say, Berney Brothers or Dominus where they all fit pretty much the same.

This means, for example, that the tree in a Marielle monoflap may have very little in common with other Toulouses. So if you want Marielle measurements, you need someone to measure a Marielle. Lynda at Classic Saddlery probably has one lying around.

*In general* a lot of the Toulouse trees run small, meaning a wide tree is going to be more like a medium-wide tree in a high-end brand such as Amerigo or Devoucoux. But again, that really depends. Some of the Toulouse dressage saddles, for example, are building a wide tree that I'd say is a "true" wide.

I will skip my rant about the Marielle being "based on" the Vega monoflap, but I hope you hear me stifling my laughter on that topic all the way from Ohio. Some of their other knockoffs are much closer to their mark--the Premia, for example, is a remarkably good structural knockoff of the Prestige Jumper R. And it's made of a "calfskin-like" leather that is thin as toilet tissue and shrivels up to look like an old lady's face. I digress, let's move on.

If you only have $1000 to blow and you insist on buying something new instead of used, there are FAR better choices in that price range. The Collegiate Convertible Diploma is a lovely little saddle and is wool flocked to boot. The Ovation offerings are some of the very best in the sub-$1000 price range; I am particularly fond of the Ovation 4-Star Eventing for a long-legged rider, but the Competition Jump is a nice saddle too. The Phillippe Fontaine line coming out of Stubben or the HDR Rivella and Devrel lines are nice choices for someone like yourself who prefers that French/Italian type ride. I also think the synthetic Tekna A4 jump saddle with the suede seat and knee roll is a MAJOR sleeper hit under $1000; it retails at under $500 and its built on the same tree technology as the more expensive Prestige saddles. The Tekna can be dealer-adjusted to your tracings for the handsome price of $100, it can be adjusted with wool flocking, and it balances acceptably well for the rider.

And of course, this is before we talk about used saddles. I still think the old-style discontinued Wintec Pro Jump is the King of Cheap Used Eventing Saddles. But you didn't ask about used saddles, so I'll not continue this paragraph.

And as someone else has already said, the quality control on Toulouse saddles is painfully inconsistent. The leather quality is poor--either flimsy or cardboardy, take your pick depending on the model--the panels are stuffed with cheap felt and foam, and it's not unusual to see Toulouses with subtly asymmetric panels or billets. Toulouse preys on customers who don't bother to do things like "stand behind the saddle while it's on a rack and really eyeball the panels to see if they're tacked on evenly, then lift up the flaps to compare the billet placement on each side."

Okay, now I'll say something slightly nicer. I have met precisely three people who had long-term success with their Toulouse saddles. These three people own what saddle fitters would consider the most boring, generic horses on earth. Utterly average withers, straight toplines, unintrusive shoulders. These folks won the saddle fitting lottery. One of them is very happy with her older Toulouse. Another keeps her Premia because it fits the horse, but the leather looks like absolute hell. A third has this Padgette that fits the horse and her beautifully, so she tolerates the cardboardy texture of the leather (it's two years old. It won't break in. If you didn't know better, you'd swear it was still brand new--and I don't mean that as a compliment.)

Lynda dear, you know how this ballgame goes. I haven't seen your new horse, so maybe you've won the saddle fitting lottery this time. But after what you've gone through with Rasta, surely you know the drill. Break out that wither tracing and that photo of the horse standing squarely from the side, and it should become enormously clear which brands/models are in contention.

If you are still seriously considering the Marielle--and God, I hope you're not--I'd say that saddle fits horses that are mostly flat in the topline with unremarkable shoulders/non-pronounced scapulas, although idiotically the panel flares just slightly in the back which gives many people the false hope that it'll fit a more curvy topline (it doesn't). The Marielle does have pretty good wither clearance, better than some of the other Toulouses. The flap is cut only moderately forward and the block placement in front makes it best for stick-thin or very short-legged riders. The flap/block "cram effect" is complicated by the high cantle, which forces you to sit more forward on the seat, thereby cramming you even tighter into that front block. Thus, I absolutely would not recommend it for someone with a big behind or long legs.
    Last edited by jn4jenny; Jan. 2, 2012 at 12:31 PM.

Agree with J4jenny. I cannot believe that you can't find something nicer used. If you are interested in an older Ainsley Chester, shoot me a PM.

Default I LOVE USED saddles...just want.NEED one NOW!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jn4jenny View Post
    RFI, let me be extremely frank. I hope you know by now, after all our years of correspondence during your saddle fitting trials, that I'm pretty objective about saddle brands. I think there's a happy customer to be had for 95% of brands on the market. In the past three months, I've helped three people buy saddles on $600 budgets--and we came in UNDER budget every time. In short, I wish to remind you that I am not a brand-ist nor a price-ist.

But friends don't let friends buy the Toulouse Marielle Monoflap. In fact, friends generally don't let friends buy Toulouse saddles at all. I kept my mouth shut on your last thread because I was sure someone else would say it, but they didn't, so let me say it as clearly as possible: don't do it because none of us want to hear from you in 6 to 12 months about how it's either a) not fitting your horse, b) falling apart, or c) impeding your riding because the flap and blocks are so weirdly placed.

If you insist on proceeding, here's a key hint: you can't just measure any old Toulouse to get the measurements you want. The brand's entire schtick is to attempt to knock off high-end brands and models--usually poorly, although there are a few notable exceptions--and that means they're using a huge diversity of tree and panel configurations. This is not like, say, Berney Brothers or Dominus where they all fit pretty much the same.

This means, for example, that the tree in a Marielle monoflap may have very little in common with other Toulouses. So if you want Marielle measurements, you need someone to measure a Marielle. Lynda at Classic Saddlery probably has one lying around.

*In general* a lot of the Toulouse trees run small, meaning a wide tree is going to be more like a medium-wide tree in a high-end brand such as Amerigo or Devoucoux. But again, that really depends. Some of the Toulouse dressage saddles, for example, are building a wide tree that I'd say is a "true" wide.

I will skip my rant about the Marielle being "based on" the Vega monoflap, but I hope you hear me stifling my laughter on that topic all the way from Ohio. Some of their other knockoffs are much closer to their mark--the Premia, for example, is a remarkably good structural knockoff of the Prestige Jumper R. And it's made of a "calfskin-like" leather that is thin as toilet tissue and shrivels up to look like an old lady's face. I digress, let's move on.

If you only have $1000 to blow and you insist on buying something new instead of used, there are FAR better choices in that price range. The Collegiate Convertible Diploma is a lovely little saddle and is wool flocked to boot. The Ovation offerings are some of the very best in the sub-$1000 price range; I am particularly fond of the Ovation 4-Star Eventing for a long-legged rider, but the Competition Jump is a nice saddle too. The Phillippe Fontaine line coming out of Stubben or the HDR Rivella and Devrel lines are nice choices for someone like yourself who prefers that French/Italian type ride. I also think the synthetic Tekna A4 jump saddle with the suede seat and knee roll is a MAJOR sleeper hit under $1000; it retails at under $500 and its built on the same tree technology as the more expensive Prestige saddles. The Tekna can be dealer-adjusted to your tracings for the handsome price of $100, it can be adjusted with wool flocking, and it balances acceptably well for the rider.

And of course, this is before we talk about used saddles. I still think the old-style discontinued Wintec Pro Jump is the King of Cheap Used Eventing Saddles. But you didn't ask about used saddles, so I'll not continue this paragraph.

And as someone else has already said, the quality control on Toulouse saddles is painfully inconsistent. The leather quality is poor--either flimsy or cardboardy, take your pick depending on the model--the panels are stuffed with cheap felt and foam, and it's not unusual to see Toulouses with subtly asymmetric panels or billets. Toulouse preys on customers who don't bother to do things like "stand behind the saddle while it's on a rack and really eyeball the panels to see if they're tacked on evenly, then lift up the flaps to compare the billet placement on each side."

Okay, now I'll say something slightly nicer. I have met precisely three people who had long-term success with their Toulouse saddles. These three people own what saddle fitters would consider the most boring, generic horses on earth. Utterly average withers, straight toplines, unintrusive shoulders. These folks won the saddle fitting lottery. One of them is very happy with her older Toulouse. Another keeps her Premia because it fits the horse, but the leather looks like absolute hell. A third has this Padgette that fits the horse and her beautifully, so she tolerates the cardboardy texture of the leather (it's two years old. It won't break in. If you didn't know better, you'd swear it was still brand new--and I don't mean that as a compliment.)

Lynda dear, you know how this ballgame goes. I haven't seen your new horse, so maybe you've won the saddle fitting lottery this time. But after what you've gone through with Rasta, surely you know the drill. Break out that wither tracing and that photo of the horse standing squarely from the side, and it should become enormously clear which brands/models are in contention.

If you are still seriously considering the Marielle--and God, I hope you're not--I'd say that saddle fits horses that are mostly flat in the topline with unremarkable shoulders/non-pronounced scapulas, although idiotically the panel flares just slightly in the back which gives many people the false hope that it'll fit a more curvy topline (it doesn't). The Marielle does have pretty good wither clearance, better than some of the other Toulouses. The flap is cut only moderately forward and the block placement in front makes it best for stick-thin or very short-legged riders. The flap/block "cram effect" is complicated by the high cantle, which forces you to sit more forward on the seat, thereby cramming you even tighter into that front block. Thus, I absolutely would not recommend it for someone with a big behind or long legs.
    Quote Originally Posted by IFG View Post
    Agree with J4jenny. I cannot believe that you can't find something nicer used. If you are interested in an older Ainsley Chester, shoot me a PM.
    ...so, even before my best "help-me-find-yet-another-saddle" buddy n4jenny piped in here with her completely correct, THOROUGH essay on me, saddles, all told with the theme of "don't you EVER learn?" (thinking of that recent EN George Morris photo and caption ). Have spent most of the morning going through all of ebay's county, albion, amerigo, etc offerings...if I can manage to pay Rasta's entry fees AND spend a bit more, I'll probably hold out for either a county innovation or a stabilizer...I bought a stabilizer for Buddy following his EPM recovery and simply loved it for both trail riding and the itty bitty stuff he could still jump. If I was wildly rich I would get another Vinici jump saddle, love it to death, but right now, Rasta gets first dibs on it...and when I'm in the irons again, ME!!! But, right now, some accomadations are gonna have to be made...y'all please keep your eyes/ears open for County saddles, medium width, preferably 16.5 - 17.0 There's a 17.5 Conquest on ebay right now out of my price range but if it was my size I might be pulling out the dreaded credit card (love those 0 balances! - keeps my marriage intact! )...

Hmpf. Lynda, since I don't know what horse you're trying to fit BECAUSE YOU HAVEN'T RESPONDED TO ME VIA FACEBOOK, I have no idea what kind of saddle would help you fit your pony.

Flat back, or curvy? Tall withers, or mutton withers? I know the type of balance you like, so it's just a matter of finding a saddle to fit your pony. I might have one for you, if you're looking for a MW - monoflap integra, 17ish seat (between 17-17.5) - WRITE ME, WOMAN!
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

Have you asked Seema? She has about 20 saddles in various states of being for sale.
    Click here before you buy.

LOL to eventer_mi. I'm dying to know too. All hail the County Stabilizer and County Innovation, but they're built for two radically different types of horses.

Besides, there are lots of ways to Ghetto It Up and Budget It Down when searching for a County Saddle. Find yourself one of the discontinued models that predate the Conquest/Innovation/Stabilizer. The Pro-Fit, Extreme, and Symmetry are often total steals on the market and ride similarly to the newer stuff. All dependent on what the horse looks like, of course.

Don't give up the Black Country Vinici dream either. This one's been in the Hastilow inventory for FREAKING EVER at $1490 so I bet they'd taken an offer on it:
    http://www.hastilowusa.com/shop/inde...d=&prevstart=0

And another although this one is priced more typically at $2500:
    http://www.farmhousetack.com/servlet...-Vinici/Detail

Default Here's a $900 County Stabilizer....not sure if it's wide enough though...

Too bad it's a MN....not sure if it could be adjusted to Medium?

Link to the County Stablizer
    Quote Originally Posted by RunForIt View Post

...so, even before my best "help-me-find-yet-another-saddle" buddy n4jenny piped in here with her completely correct, THOROUGH essay on me, saddles, all told with the theme of "don't you EVER learn?" (thinking of that recent EN George Morris photo and caption ). Have spent most of the morning going through all of ebay's county, albion, amerigo, etc offerings...if I can manage to pay Rasta's entry fees AND spend a bit more, I'll probably hold out for either a county innovation or a stabilizer...I bought a stabilizer for Buddy following his EPM recovery and simply loved it for both trail riding and the itty bitty stuff he could still jump. If I was wildly rich I would get another Vinici jump saddle, love it to death, but right now, Rasta gets first dibs on it...and when I'm in the irons again, ME!!! But, right now, some accomadations are gonna have to be made...y'all please keep your eyes/ears open for County saddles, medium width, preferably 16.5 - 17.0 There's a 17.5 Conquest on ebay right now out of my price range but if it was my size I might be pulling out the dreaded credit card (love those 0 balances! - keeps my marriage intact! )...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**

Lightbulb THANKS, jn4jenny and eventer_mi! Will go get conformation shots!

eventer_mi, I just messaged you! I'm soooo sorry for taking so long and have wonderful excuses if you want to hear them - hahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by jn4jenny View Post
    LOL to eventer_mi. I'm dying to know too. All hail the County Stabilizer and County Innovation, but they're built for two radically different types of horses.

Besides, there are lots of ways to Ghetto It Up and Budget It Down when searching for a County Saddle. Find yourself one of the discontinued models that predate the Conquest/Innovation/Stabilizer. The Pro-Fit, Extreme, and Symmetry are often total steals on the market and ride similarly to the newer stuff. All dependent on what the horse looks like, of course.

Don't give up the Black Country Vinici dream either. This one's been in the Hastilow inventory for FREAKING EVER at $1490 so I bet they'd taken an offer on it:
    http://www.hastilowusa.com/shop/inde...d=&prevstart=0

And another although this one is priced more typically at $2500:
    http://www.farmhousetack.com/servlet...-Vinici/Detail
    jn4jenny, will post some pics soon - I saw the Vinici Tex Eventer earlier today...think it's a 17.5 though; will check again. The Vinici saddles are wonderful! I so appreciate you digging thru your treasure trove of possibilities...I will say, I've had a Conquest and really didn't like it as it was so bulky; Rasta ended up saying it just wasn't for him and I sold it in a nanosecond. Which County saddle has a tree for more curvy backs rather than flat? Buddy was pretty mutton withered and flat backed (but ever so slightly down hill) so the Stabilizer may have worked on him because it's for flatter backed horses? Or do they do the tree for the horse no matter waht model you order?

Look for various walsall saddles. I have a Ryder that was 1200 new and equal to a bc or county. Just sold an older county pofit for $500 and the are everywhere for 700ish. I really liked it especially for the price. I have a list of nice current ones. Will send it.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Or get a nice Made-in-Walsall, England Ashley & Clarke from Gayers:
    http://www.gayerssaddlery.com/page5.php

BTW, having tried the County Pro Fit, County STabilizer and County Innovation on my flat backed mare...they all had similar tree shapes from front to back. It's just the Innovation ran CRAZY WIDE. I bought the XW County Innovation XTR and LOVE that saddle. It fits more like a generous XXW for sure
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**

Have you looked at the Area III classifieds? http://www.usea3.org/ed-classified/tid/3

There are a couple of Ainsleys,several Toulouses, and a wool flocked Bates.

Quote Originally Posted by tnscvaga View Post
    Have you looked at the Area III classifieds? http://www.usea3.org/ed-classified/tid/3

There are a couple of Ainsleys,several Toulouses, and a wool flocked Bates.
    yes...have tried the Bates - very nice saddle but didn't work, the Ainsleys won't work with either horse, and I'm now rethinking Toulouses...

BTW there is a brand-new-looking Albion 5000 close contact/jumping saddle for ASKING $800 (and says she'll take offers) on eBay. Unbelievable...... Looks like a generous Medium.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**