The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bluebonnet's Christmas Story

I tried posting this on Christmas but my internet connection wasn't working, so I'll just post a few days late.

On Christmas Eve, one of our (Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society) volunteers called me. A sheriff's department had called her asking for help on an emergency seizure. They had three adult horses and a newborn foal. The horses were in poor condition and they worried for their safety and the safety of the foal.

My volunteer was just getting ready to start preparing for the Christmas celebrations when the call came in. Her mother and sister had just arrived, and they offered to take over preparations so she could help the horses. She called me for the ok to get BEHS involved and took off to meet a deputy. Another deputy who had the day off was working logistics (making the necessary calls, getting everyone together, etc.). Several deputies who were working on Christmas Even and the sheriff who had Christmas Eve off came out to help.

So Christmas Eve night saw these guys in dry, clean stalls, with plentiful hay and the road to rehab stretched out in front of them. The case was a seizure, not an owner surrender, so it goes to court next week.

I'm grateful to that volunteer and those deputies who showed the selfless, giving, loving spirit of Christmas and enabled us (BEHS) to help those needy horses.

I'm also grateful to those on this board and elsewhere who support BEHS and other rescues - you guys make miracles possible.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

That's fantastic!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

You and your volunteers are the best! Seems like you have a pretty great bunch of deputies out there, too.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

How wonderful!