The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How do you turn a tractor tire inside out?

Apparently the fact that one of my winter boarders is a hay slob is bugging me, because last night I dreamed about different ways to make my hay feeders work better. They are just old tractor tires with one sidewall cut off.

Anyone know how to turn them inside out? Maybe having them "taller" would keep the hay-flinger from flinging. The dream clearly showed inside-out tires, but failed to elaborate on how this was accomplished.
    Click here before you buy.

I can't answer the question you asked, but putting hay in containers did nothing to stop the flinging and the waste for me. What's worked like a dream is putting the hay in cinch chix hay nets. Easy to use, and they've saved me probably $500/month in wasted hay.

I have one of those but it's HUGE! I don't feed round bales, but probably two of my regular bales will fit in one net. I did try that this morning--we'll see if Bonnie is willling to let anyone stand on the other side of the net (hanging up from the rafters of the horse porch) and share.

I do like how loose and easy it is to use, unlike my regular small-hole hay nets. Might have to go see if they have a size smaller than the one I bought.

Yeah, if you've got the California Net, that will hold almost 2 square bales... just cram it in there. But, yes, the Cinch Chix gals to offer smaller ones PLUS they will custom size one for whatever you need. We loff them
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

I think they sent me the California size when what I had ordered was the regular small bale one.

I'm sure it will come in handy someday. But I think I'll order two of their mini nets and see how those go. Hate to stuff hay nets every day and night, but on the other hand, I *really* hate scraping up 4 months worth of nasty, wet, wasted hay in April when the snow finally melts!

The ones I got hold one small bale each. I have two run-ins, and have a bag/bale in each corner of each shed, so that's 4 bales. (plus a hay rack in another run in for another bale = 5 bales). Then I have three bales tied to the fenceline outside (because that's closest to the barn -- the run-ins are at the top of a small hill which is no fun to haul bales up there through the snow).

So -- 8 bales in all, for 7 horses.

The bales in the run-in stay dry and off the ground. The horses prefer eating the hay on the fenceline, so that turns over about every 24 hours.

I only have to add about 3 bales a day, and if I have an emergency come up I can comfortably skip haying them because they will always have hay in front of them.

I really love my set up -- it is much easier for me, better for my horses, and cheaper. How perfect is that!

I use tractor tires but have never needed to turn them. If you check the cattle forums however you find several different methods....most of which involve heavy equiment such as a backhoe.