The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Default Baking Soda Shampoo and Vodka Conditioner

You just KNOW I can't let this go. So this started two or three OT days ago when people were talking about Wen, the non-shampoo cleaner. That got me started using One, the way cheaper generic. It works well, but when it ran out I started researching, and it makes sense, that baking soda and/or vinegar work well to wash my hair.

So it works great. I usually use a tablespoon or two of soda and vinegar (make sure you have a big cup ''cause it will bubble.) Rinse, scrub your scalp well with your fingers and water first, pour in, scrub more, rinse. My hair feels a lot nicer and not so full of crap. It's also cheap, and great to travel with because your "shampoo" is a baggie of baking soda.

Then Velvet, I think, gave me the idea of vodka. I need conditioner with curly hair and was using a little of the all natural Trader Joe's stuff and really brushing it through my hair with my fingers. But vodka is great! A couple of tablespoons of vodka, a tablespoon of conditioner and water. I put it in my hair and comb through with my fingers until all untangled. Vodka just does something that makes the hair really untangle and smooth. I've tried just leaving that in, and it works fine. I've tried rinsing a little of it out, and that works well. If I completely rinse it all out, I don't like it as much.

I tell you, it works great. People have noticed and my hair feels much different. And it's cheap. I bought a gallon looking size of vodka for $10, and in 6 weeks I've used maybe a 5th. Baking soda and vinegar are dirt cheap.

Yep - been doing this since sometime in October. My hair has never looked better, and people keep commenting on my curls! No more frizz, no more itchy scalp, and NO styling products needed!
    Cindy

Yeah! You, too! Well, we know it works well for curly hair. I would imagine it works well for straight, also.

Are you doing just the baking soda, or using vodka , too?

can you mix the vinegar and baking soda together before the shower? like a week a head? I was hoping to do a mix and leave a bottle in the shower.

Also, on the conditioner; its a few tablespoons of vodka and a tablespoon of conditioner? that is still a lot of conditioner. How much were you using before the vodka mix?

1 members found this post helpful.

Yes, you can. Just remember, when you initially mix it it makes a chemical reaction, so you get a lot of bubbling up. I keep thinking of making a big premix bottle, but never get there.

Before vodka, I would use a BIG handful of conditioner on my hair, so this is way less. I have a LOT of curly hair, and I'm outside every day, so it gets really dry. I would just experiment with proportions until you get what works for your hair.

Sweet!! thanks BTDT ! I am getting a jug of apple vinegar this week!

I really want to try this, but get hung up on the vinegar... Doesn't it make your hair smell like Easter egg dye?

Right now I'm using the Wen knockoff One, and I love it... The difference is amazing and I'll never go back to sudsy shampoo e.v.e.r.

The vinegar/baking soda/vodka method is definitely intriguing .

\"For all those men who say, \"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free,\" here\'s an update for you: Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it\'s not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage.\"-

1 members found this post helpful.

I can't comment on the vinegar/baking soda cleaner, but I do find it intriguing. I, too, after a few OT days ago decided to try giving up shampoo. I think it was in October. However, I wasn't willing to pay the beauty supply prices so I just used Suave conditioner ($1.84/bottle at Walmart). Just like they recommend for Wen, I cleanse twice -- sort of like lather-rinse-repeat except there's no lather. It works GREAT! My hair has a medium amount of curl, and the curl is so much nicer without shampoo. My hair is also softer and shinier. I do find that I need to use shampoo about once a month to remove conditioner buildup.

I am also curious. What is the Wen knock off called?

Anyone using the baking soda and vinegar that colours their hair?
    www.ctannerjensen.com
    http://ctannerjensen.blogspot.com/
    Equine Art capturing the essence of the grace,strength, and beauty of the Sport Horse."

Quote Originally Posted by ctanner View Post
    I am also curious. What is the Wen knock off called?

Anyone using the baking soda and vinegar that colours their hair?
    The knockoff is called One and you can get it at Sally Beauty Supply... they sell individual packages so you can try it without having to commit to a whole bottle... I LOVE it!

\"For all those men who say, \"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free,\" here\'s an update for you: Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it\'s not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage.\"-

OK, not dropping this. New hair cleaner people unite. Check in. How's it going?

I have my routine down and have been doing it since November. My hair is good. I bought a jug (maybe half gallon) of Vodka for $10 in Nov. for my hair., and it's still half full.

My hair is great. It's much easier than shampoo and the hair is less frizzy and in good shape.

Does this combo work for straight hair too?
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

Well, dunno as I don't have that, but I think straight haired people have chimed in. I think with straight hair the baking soda and vinegar would be just as great. Maybe use just a little less conditioner? I think the vodka would give it a good shine--curly hair doesn't shine so well.

I must have done something wrong because this was AWFUL for my hair. I have dry, loose curls hair and a sensitive scalp. Shampoos from drugstore to $40 salon stuff can cause bad scalp reactions so I was super excited to try it.

The end result was awful. The vinegar to clean and the vodka to rinse stripped my hair of all oils and made it so dry that it frizzed out completely and wouldn't even curl. I looked like I had straw for hair.

But, I thought maybe I'd messed up so the next day I mixed less vinegar with the baking soda and didn't rinse with vodka...and still a frizzed out, tangly, hair-breaking mess.

It took 2 days of hot oiling and deep conditioning to even get it close to 'normal' and my scalp is still calming down. Looks like I'll stick with what works.

Hm. OTV. Did you add conditioner to the vodka? I have to have that. Maybe it doesn't work for everyone. If I just wash it with baking soda and vinegar it's a little strawy, but the conditioner with vodka keeps it smooth.

Bummer. You might want to google more ideas. There were a lot of things to try. And some people were saying it takes awhile for your hair to adjust to not being stripped every time.

You add the wodka to the conditioner?

Tried it just mixed with water and nada.

Like the baking soda though. You add it to vinegar?
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.”
    ? Albert Einstein

I just put my baking soda and vinegar in a cup, add my bath water to taste, and wash. I think it helps you really do a good hand scrub on your hair when you wet it, really scrub in the ingredients, and when you rinse, really scrub clean again.

I put my vodka in a cup, 5 pumps of conditioner, add bath water to taste and pour through my hair, then detangle with fingers. Sometimes I just semi-rinse by pouring a cup of water over my hair, and sometimes I rinse most of it out.

I tried the Hair One stuff from Sally beauty supply. At first I liked it but it is time intensive. Per the directions you are supposed to massage it on your scalp for 2-3 minutes (I barely make it to 2) and then add more and leave on for 3-5 minutes. I had no trouble leaving it on for 5 minutes. It's fine if you are taking a bath but not when you are just trying to get in and out of the shower fast before work. My hair tends to be oily. At first I thought this stuff was pretty great but I noticed a build up after a few weeks. So I am back to using shampoo and conditioner when I need to get the job done fast and using the Hair One here and there. I also tried baking soda as a hair cleanser it does clean your hair but I kind of like how shampoo lathers and how it smells. Fortunately for me my hair is pretty easy and usually looks pretty decent regardless. Cheaper shampoos and conditioner are certainly less expensive than Hair One. I think Hair One is probably best suited for those with dry hair. I haven't tried the vodka routine yet.

Sounds like alcohol abuse to me! You guys must buy the cheap stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    I put my vodka in a cup, 5 pumps of conditioner, add bath water to taste...
    For a moment I thought I was on the "What are you drinking thread"!

2 members found this post helpful.