The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best place for mini blankets - asap?!?

I have a privately rescued mini that has many issues but that is for another day. The vet was out this morning and I need to clip her and will need blankets. I've checked ebay but nothing her size available but one Tough1 brand.

Anyone know where to get quality mini size blankets, sheets, coolers? I'll need to bathe her 2x/week for awhile so need to get wool coolers as well.

Would love to find Wug Plus style in sheet, blanket, turnout, and cooler. She's a size 40-42. Most of what I'm finding is either in the 30's range or 50's. I'm so frustrated!

Also - anyone know where to get clipper blade guards for DoubleK animal clipper? I'm going to google now - but know y'all know in an instant!

Thank you for any leads/help!

The smallest the wugs come in is a 45 and that is in the Rhino only. Your mini should be able to wear foal sized items. It is extremely difficult to find mini sized turnout sheets, fortunately mine wears a 45/46 so I will be ordering one for him. This winter I bought him this turnout blanket. Love it--the only thing I wish was that it had a tail flap. The company in the link seems to be out of your size, but you should be able to find it online.

Thank you! I love that pony store! They have a few in her size - I'll check them out. I really want wug/wug plus style - over the withers. They are impossible to find!

Hi. Welcome to the mini rescue club. (And Thank You for rescuing)!

I got my mini's blankets from Schneider's. I've been very happy with them. The selection is good and they have sizing to fit from about 30" to 48".

And best of all - the prices are great! (Plus the blankets fit very nicely).

I'm sure you'll find something perfect for your little one here:

http://www.sstack.com/horse-blankets...ture-blankets/

If you haven't had one before, you're going to love having a mini around - they're just so darned cute!

I highly recommend "Just For Ponies" :
    http://www.justforponies.com/ponyblankets.aspx

Oops... just noticed that "ponysize" (Post 2) also linked to "Just For Ponies".
    Last edited by TexasRose; Dec. 23, 2011 at 01:00 PM.
    Life is short. Hug your horse!

Bored, and I love ebay and small blankets!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Foal-Pony-Mi...#ht_658wt_1113

I will add more as I find them, but this one ends in 22 mins!

Looks bit small, but for a cooler it may work: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Contoured-mi...#ht_948wt_1113

I am sure you saw this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Miniature-Ho...ht_4401wt_1113

I have blanketed a few minis and I think most had that brand and they held up well.

Go to http://www.miniaturehorsetalk.com/ - L'il Beginnings Minature Horse Site...they have tons in info and can give you links to specialized miniature horse tack sellers. Also, I bought the Schneider's adjustable waterproof turnout...don't bother, it's only good for a certain size (38"), when you adjust out to the 40" and longer, it no longer covers the withers. I did put that in the comments and they removed what I said.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie & Starlette View Post
    ..... Also, I bought the Schneider's adjustable waterproof turnout...don't bother, it's only good for a certain size (38"), when you adjust out to the 40" and longer, it no longer covers the withers. I did put that in the comments and they removed what I said.
    Jackie & Starlette, Did you buy the "new" Stormshield Miniature Turnout? http://www.sstack.com/horse-blankets...ture-turnouts/ I only ask because I am thinking of getting one for my guy (love that it is 1200 Denier). The ones that I have are only 600 D. The new ones come in specific sizes, and are not said to be adjustable. So for a 38 you'd order a 38" or a 40, a 40", etc .

Mine are adjustable and in defense of the blanket, I've had no problems at all with the fit. But, my blankets are a few years old and I see that the exact style is no longer offered. Thank goodness they're holding up so well (basically "like new" - once I wash them ).

I'd be interested in knowing if the "new" style fits *to size* or not (since it's not adjustable).

Thanks

I'm going to try one of the new Schneider ones and see how it works before I fork over the $$$ on the Rhino.

Quote Originally Posted by Claddagh View Post
    Jackie & Starlette, Did you buy the "new" Stormshield Miniature Turnout? http://www.sstack.com/horse-blankets...ture-turnouts/ I only ask because I am thinking of getting one for my guy (love that it is 1200 Denier). The ones that I have are only 600 D. The new ones come in specific sizes, and are not said to be adjustable. So for a 38 you'd order a 38" or a 40, a 40", etc .
    I ordered four of them back in November when they were marked as backordered until 12/9. Then it was 12/28, then 1/3, then the end of January...now they're not marked as being backordered but I also haven't received them. I called Schneider's just now and they said they're hoping to ship them the first few days of January so I should have them soon. Hoping I like them as my guys are too small for the Rambo wugs!

These are adjustable in the sense any normal blanket is with a buckling front, but I personally am not a fan of the "Adjustable" Schneider's blankets; seems like they don't fit ANYONE right!

My favorite warm, waterproof mini blankets are the Kensington Roustabouts (check www.minitack.com) but they're very pricey. The Tough-1 brand turnout blankets are quite waterproof and well-priced but don't have insulation on the lower half of the blanket so aren't great for a trace-clipped animal or very cold temperatures although they're plenty for a body-clipped mini in late spring. I made due with just those for years and did fine. I became a devoted fan of Glover mini blankets when I found their Canadiana Storm model with a wither guard, but unfortunately they went out of business so there went the only European-cut mini blanket I'd found. The new Schneider's model appears to be like the Tough-1 blankets but with insulation all the way to the bottom and a cut that comes down a little further as well as crossed surcingles to hold it close so I'm hoping it will be just what I've been looking for at a price I can afford.

Cut-wise, I love the mini blankets from Dinky Rugs in the UK. (http://www.tackandturnout.co.uk/) Those built-in neck covers and variable weights are awesome!! I checked them out in person when I went to the UK and noticed the only thing is that the materials they use over there seem to be a lot heavier than what we use here in the States. Don't know if our waterproofing is better or what, but I like the lighter blankets like Kensington. Wish I could find one that's a combination of both!

Leia
    Hey look, I joined ANOTHER forum! And you thought horses were addictive.

HH23 - Does the UK shop ship to US? I picked out 5 blankets but nowhere on their site does it say the ship outside the UK? They are on holiday until Jan 3, so I'll try back then.

Thought you might know if/not they ship?

Horse Tack Company sells them in the size you need. I have ordered a lot of stuff from them and their prices and customer service is great.

They are having a 25% off sale off ALL products - until 12/31/11. Use the code 25off.

I also have a tiny Mini and have the same trouble.

Thank you! I am going to order the stable, turnout, and fleece cooler!

Sorry all, just saw this...holidays!

The one I got was similar to this:

http://www.sstack.com/horse-blankets...e-nylon-sheet/

Only it's just a waterproof turnout. Funny can't seem to find it.

The front is what is deceptive...again, they put no thought into if you are putting it on a bigger mini, the withers are exposed.

Actually I've had problem with the Tough1 turnout sheets not being waterproof; I got it from Chicks, and returned it when my mini got soaked (they tried to tell me all waterproof blankets were only water*resistant* - won't buy from them at all); found a local supplier who guaranteed to get me a waterproof Tough 1, and when it was not, gave me the sheet and told me to get some waterproofing. Seems that these are made in China and no quality control. Mine was the blue turnout only (not a blanket).