The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Question IEA Regionals

I am a Newbie to the IEA scene this year and had a question regarding Regionals that I thought someone here could likely help with . . .

I understand that teams earning 20 points can qualify for Regionals. How does that work with regard to competing in the Regional Final? If the team gets the required 20 points does that mean that every member on the team gets to compete at Regionals (even if they are not qualified as an individual)?

Also, how does AN INDIVIDUAL that is qualified for Regionals qualify to move on to Zones? Do they have to be in the top _____ to move on?

Any light you would like to shed on Regionals and Zones would be welcome!

The coach of a team that earns 20 points and qualifies for regionals will select one rider per class to compete in the "team" classes at regionals.

Riders who earn 15 points or more per class and qualify as individuals will compete in the "individual" classes at regionals and the number that move on to Zones varies, I believe, by Zone rules.

In Zone II, the top three individual riders in each class and the top three teams will move on to Zones from Regionals.

There are specific "team" classes and "individual" classes at Regionals (and Zones). The coach chooses the rider that will compete in the "team" classes (one rider per team per class). Only the points from team classes will count towards the team total.

Individuals will have to be in the top something to move on. It depends on the region.

Information about the specific numbers is probably somewhere on the IEA website/in the rulebook.

Going in to regionals you won't know what number you have to place in to make it to zones, but if you are 1st or 2nd you're pretty much guarunteed going.