The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How do I keep a CAM/fracture boot clean around horses???

I had recent peroneal tendon surgery on my ankle--large split tear in the peroneal brevis that required tenodesis to the peroneal longus. Almost 3 weeks out from surgery and doing well--really, it hasn't been bad at all, except for the non-weight bearing part being inconvenient, but a knee walker/scooter makes that easier to deal with. I have one more week of non-weight bearing and then I can start walking on it some, booted of course. I'll probably be in the boot for another 4 weeks after that.

My dilemma--the boot has to be kept clean. I keep my horses at home and have a run-in shedrow stall barn arrangement for my 2 horses. I want to start doing things with them--at least brushing them and maybe doing a little simple groundwork/stretching exercises.

I can use my all terrain knee walker to get from the house to the barn to keep the boot off the dirty ground, but once I get to the barn I'd like to be able to walk around--that scooter will be very awkward for that kind of stuff.

How do you keep a boot clean while working in this kind of situation???
    Horse'in around in Upstate NY

Good luck with that. I wore mine to barn on weekends, didn't do any actual work, and when I got home I had to empty the sawdust out of it. The liners are kind of washable. Wear socks.

Could you pick up a spare on craigslist?

Funniest thing was when I had the second ankle surgery, and took my old boot with me to doc's (they had a sign they were OK with re-use) when I got the soft cast off & stitches out. I made the comment that "I even washed it, it was kind of gross from wearing it up to the barn & such" The look on my surgeon's face was great. Eyes all wide as he looked at my purple ankle that screamed for sterileness , "Barn??!!, Let's get you a new one."

I had my peroneals debrided & assorted other stuff done; I don't think I got to the point that I was comfortable standing next to horse in the 4 weeks PWB. I think you're still going to need crutches PWB.

1 members found this post helpful.

Step into a trash bag, pull it up around your boot and tuck the edges in around the top of your boot.

Get a spare. They are fairly cheap on Amazon. I got sent home with one and then bought a spare so that I could wear one while the other was airing/drying (you aren't supposed to wear them in the snow?).
    Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction.
    Cowboy saying

Hi. Your mother here. Just a polite reminder that CAM boots are open-toed. Would hate for Fluffikins to paint your toes a nice bluegreenpurple while your tendon is healing.

2 members found this post helpful.

Another peroneal tendon repair here. Gosh, I had to be non weight bearing for 7 weeks and before hand he was talking about 12!

I got an extra boot for the barn. It was impossible to keep any semblence of clean in the dirt, hay and mud. Check Craigslist. Yep, scooter is pretty worthless on uneven ground. I had mine done in winter so just wore thicker socks. The trash bag works but also covers up the tread on the boot so do be careful of slipping.

At seven weeks I was still only partial weight bearing per instruction so still on crutches at the barn. My horse absolutely freaked out about my crutches...EVERY time she saw me and my extra shiny appendages she would snort and run away. I wanted to hang them around her neck until she got over it. Note to self...don't try and pawn her off as a hippotherapy mount.

Susan

Thanks for all the info and suggestions. I think I will get an extra boot. I did see one very similar to mine for a good price.

I have been pleasantly surprised that other than the non-weightbearing status being a PIA and inconvenient, this surgery and recovery haven't been that bad at all. I did a lot of online research and read a bunch of blogs, and it seems like I've had an easier time than most. At a little less than 3 weeks post op, the incision looks good, ankle and foot are just mildly swollen, doesn't hurt to do mild range of motion, etc.

I have one more week of non weightbearing on the leg, but then I'll transition to weight bearing as tolerated with use of a crutch or cane, along with a boot. I wonder if that's the time it will decide to act up and get sore. So far it hasn't had to do anything and it's been pretty happy with that. Just have to see.

I think a lot of the reason I've had a pretty easy recovery is due to my surgeon. He is very good. I bet he just kind of "got in and got out" without traumatizing the other tissues much. He did say, though, that it will be probably 4-6 months before the ankle feels normal. He thinks I will be able to ride at around 8 weeks post op. Just in time for warm weather!

I will also need to have my Achilles repaired--it has a small longitudinal tear and a large area of thickening and degeneration. Will probably have that around the same time next year. He wants me to wait at least 6 months between surgeries.

Thanks again.
    Horse'in around in Upstate NY