The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Cradilo is an Irish Draught competing at Grand Prix in the jumpers and has some nice eventers as offspring.

I LOVE my Irish horse! But I got him when he was 11. I've heard they can be slow to mature.

If it's for lower levels (up to prelim) and ammy, I LOVE Routinier. He produces athletic foals with nice movement and jumping ability (he got "9's" on his jumping under saddle, and "10's" for willingness to work, I think, and something else)--but more importantly, they have REALLY nice temperaments.

I know of two babies who are INCREDIBLY kind/trainable/willing that I have/had access to. I know there are others competing now.
    --Becky in TX
    Clinic Blogs and Rolex Blogs
    She who throws dirt is losing ground.

Have a look at the hanoverian stallion Scimitar at En Avant Stud, could be a good match.

Default Landkonig

Landkonig is a Hanoverian who throws nice movers and jumpers esspecially when crossed with TB mares. I bought two babies from the sires Pablo and Landkonig. Both are very nice- quiet, willing, sound, scopey, smart. I sold the 4 yr old Pablo baby to a hunter rider (12 yrs old) and she won a 2'6 division at her first rated show and it was his second show period- talk about a good brain!!!! The five year old Landkonig mare is doing well and wants to be an eventer. I would consider resale value if you are breeding. (You may not want to keep the baby, for whatever unforseen reasons, so keeping that in mind....both of these stallions are well known in the hunter/jumper world and dressage.) Here is link for website:
    http://www.rainbowequus.com/Landkoenig_offspring.htm

Here is a photo of my Landkonig 5 yr old mare schooling at Florida Horse Park derby last weekend. She is so brave on XC and such a pretty mover. Good luck with your decision and I would add, there are lots of babies for sale out there.
    http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/q...ntrningang.jpg
    The rider has a really long leg (she is 5'8) and looks fine on the mare. (Barrel is plenty big for a long legged rider.)

Wow thanks so much everyone. My mare is now 7 and have been contemplating breeding her since I got her when she was 4. I know it is cheaper just to buy a young horse but I really LOVE my mare and as I said, I'd plan to keep baby for me. Some great ideas. I'm going to hold off a few years to see how she pans out in eventing- various and sundry things seem to keep us from getting started but I think she will be good at it. She loves to jump xc and is very athletic.

I see you decided to wait a bit, but I'll add my 2 cents anyways =] I saw someone suggested Scimitar at An Avant and can say that my mare by him is a PHENOMENAL jumper. She currently does 2* level and is smart, quick-minded on XC and extremely athletic... but she is very opinionated and gets anxious easily leading to tension, making her a little tough in the dressage. On her Dam side is Good Queen Liz, the TB mare that produced advanced event stallion Salute the Truth. I work at Dodon Farm where Salute the Truth stands, and also where we have brought up many of the babies out of Liz who Steuart also owns. Most of the babies from both are very well built, quiet tempered, easy to break and train, and brave, fabulous jumpers. So, simple point, I would agree that Scimitar has produced at least one awesome eventing baby, and I would highly suggest taking a look at Salute the Truth, especially if you love the TB mind.

Zara jump: (Scimitar X Good Queen Liz)
    http://tabeventing.com/img/zara_jump3.jpg

Zara Conformation(sorry for the poor pic, was just trying to photo her new clip):
    http://i44.tinypic.com/4ui1jb.jpg

Brilliant Truth jump: (Salute the Truth X FillBrill)
    http://eventingnation.com/sporthorsenation/_MG_6813.jpg
    www.tabeventing.com
    http://www.tracey-eventblog.blogspot.com/

"A canter is a cure for every evil." - Benjamin Disraeli

I would breed your mare to any Irish Draught. They cross so well with TB mares and they have incredible minds and and sound.
    Westglen Farm
    Home of In Shining Armor, RID
    www.westglenfarm.net

Quote Originally Posted by 3phase View Post
    How big is your mare and whar size are you looking for?
    How bout breeding to a Cob? Or even Connemara? I absolutely love ArdCeltic Art!!!
    If you go Hanoverian, I'd go with any of the Pik lines ( I was on a Han breeding farm growing up and we had a Pik Bube son that bred wonderful foals. Athletic yet trainable with good minds and good confo. Very Amateur friendly.
    There's lots out there! Your Mare is going to throw in most of the genes but pick a stud with good lines on the dam side (that's what I look at anyway most of the time.)
    Potentially if you sell the foal later on you want it to be marketable as well.
    Have fun!
    There is a Pik stallion here in Missouri. Absolutely gorgeous and a good all around horse. I've quite literally seen him competing in just about everything around here. Very (or seems to be from my observing) sensible and quiet at the shows I've seen him at.
    "Lord if we should fall, my horse and I, please pick my horse up first."

www.thestartbox.wordpress.com
    www.useaiv.org

Look at Worthy Oponnent...amazing Hanoverian eventing stallion. Using a breeding this year ona Hanoverian approved TB mare...should be an awesome cross.
    www.vineyardeventing.com

Default how about a big black stallion?

i vote for sinatra at high point hanoverians. he is the sire of one of the champions of the future event horse. he has an incredible disposition. lovely movement and scored high at his stallion test in jumping. the mare he was crossed with is susanna. not sure of the babies name that won. but you can always google it.

I'm going to make an entirely different suggestion that may be a bit out there. If you are not looking for a massive horse, have you considered crossing your mare with a M & M pony breed?

I have a Welsh Cob x TB who is a ripper...have seen several Cobs and Cob x doing well. Very tough, intelligent and athletic with a natural jump. Have also seen some lovely Connemara and New Forest x TB. In my opinion, they make great amateurs mounts.

I have a TB X WB that I bred - time will tell if he is sharp enough to event. He's got a great temperament and movement, but to my mind, seems a bit slower in the brain department than the TBs and pony crosses I'm used to working with. Not sure if it is a good thing or bad thing!

Quote Originally Posted by secretariat View Post
    While there are many successful, wonderful TB x draft crosses eventing out there, it's not a cross I recommend. If you get a good one - AWESOME. If not ........ and I know that's true for all breeding, but I'm betting the odds based on what I see at 30 or so events every year.

I'm also not a fan of generic WB x TB crosses (we're doing the cross actively, selectively, but as in paragraph 1 it needs to be done with care and a grain of salt). Many of the registries do not throw the courage or "forward" needed to event. If they won't go in front of your leg - walk away; hard to do when you've just put 5 years into a breeding. Specific stallions in all registries can be OK, but the only registry I'd recommend for eventing as a blanket statement are Trakehners. And a bit of fire and brimstone usually comes with your fries.

For lower level, amateur rider owner (but applies to UL also), go for proven intelligence and good minds over everything else. For my personal horse, I want my baby to see me as his favorite creature. Lots of UL sires are throwing professional rides. Be careful!
    This is all very good advice, from someone who breeds/trains/rides eventers. The part about the WB lack of forward definitely rings true.

The simple recipe for The Horse You Want is this: find a stallion who produces your desired type consistently when bred to a mare like yours. And always remember, what a stallion produces is more important that what the stallion himself is like (same goes for the mare, but you don't know about yours).

Good luck and have fun.

I love this horse. I'd use him for breeding in a second. Other than loving pretty much everything about him, he has the most wonderful mind.

http://www.wonderboystallion.com/Home.html

Based on the couple of IDSH that I got to ride, I would recommend breeding to IDSH, not pure RID. Took too much work to get the RIDxTB to move IMO.

I love Cleveland Bays, you could look into them too for adding body size. I thought about breeding my TB mare to one and I have to admit that some of the CB's have too heavy of a neck. So I was looking at one of the lighter, more balanced CB's--unfortunately my favorite (Rambler's Lorenzo) seems to have vanished off the planet and others I liked were gelded or passed away.

Default Concerto Grosso

Concerto Grosso is a lovely, big Holsteiner who is the sire of the West Coast 2011 USEA Four Year Old Young Event Horse Reserve Champion, Counterpoint. CG has bone, good feet, good mind, fantastic movement and jump which he passes on to his children. He is a grand son of Contender, a phenomenal producer of jumping horses. CG's maternal grandsire is the Thoroughbred, Koenigspark, so your foal would be over half TB.

He is fully approved and licensed by the AHHA and the ISR- Old NA and nominated to both of their stallion auctions. To see a photo of Counterpoint go to www.useventing.com and click the YEH logo.

He will be standing at Mountain View Equine Hospital in Central Virginia.
    Www.mveh.com

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    This is all very good advice, from someone who breeds/trains/rides eventers. The part about the WB lack of forward definitely rings true.

The simple recipe for The Horse You Want is this: find a stallion who produces your desired type consistently when bred to a mare like yours. And always remember, what a stallion produces is more important that what the stallion himself is like (same goes for the mare, but you don't know about yours).

Good luck and have fun.
    ^^ I would echo this advice.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Quote Originally Posted by Groro View Post
    Concerto Grosso is a lovely, big Holsteiner who is the sire of the West Coast 2011 USEA Four Year Old Young Event Horse Reserve Champion, Counterpoint. CG has bone, good feet, good mind, fantastic movement and jump which he passes on to his children. He is a grand son of Contender, a phenomenal producer of jumping horses. CG's maternal grandsire is the Thoroughbred, Koenigspark, so your foal would be over half TB.

He is fully approved and licensed by the AHHA and the ISR- Old NA and nominated to both of their stallion auctions. To see a photo of Counterpoint go to www.useventing.com and click the YEH logo.

He will be standing at Mountain View Equine Hospital in Central Virginia.
    Www.mveh.com
    I love Concerto Grosso, and would love to use him in my own breeding program with one of my TB AFR daughters.
    Do you know if the facility ships semen to Canada, Groro?
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post

Good luck and have fun.
    3rd this advise.

You may want to check with folks like Denny and Bruce Davidson (if he still has breeding stock). They have nice WB/TB crosses that appear to be 1/2+ TB. Also they have have or know folks with old school TB bloodlines. The old TB's with height, bone and great minds. Good luck.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Default A Fine Romance or Accolade

Fred's accomplishments are reknown so I won't retell them all here...just love him

Another one you really oughta take a look at though is the young stallion Accolade who won the East Coast YEH a couple of years ago...just came home from England where he successfully ran their Novice/our Prelim with both Mike Winter and his ammy breeder/owner/trainer Kim Keeton.

Bear as he's affectionately known, is a lovely mover, super jumper on XC as well as SJ...PLUS, he's the sweetest, easy-going boy ALL THE TIME! Can stable next to mares, school with other horses, trail ride...

Here's a FB pic with Kim in the irons:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...type=3&theater
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

Quote Originally Posted by OTTBs View Post
    Based on the couple of IDSH that I got to ride, I would recommend breeding to IDSH, not pure RID. Took too much work to get the RIDxTB to move IMO.

I love Cleveland Bays, you could look into them too for adding body size. I thought about breeding my TB mare to one and I have to admit that some of the CB's have too heavy of a neck. So I was looking at one of the lighter, more balanced CB's--unfortunately my favorite (Rambler's Lorenzo) seems to have vanished off the planet and others I liked were gelded or passed away.
    If you are still interested, I have located Rambler's Lorenzo and I plan to breed two CB mares to him. He's 20 now, but absolutely beautiful!
    Treat everyone with politeness, even those who are rude to you - not because they are nice, but because you are. ~Author Unknown