The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Selling the event horse under 10k

Hi All!

I have a little horse I'm trying to find a good home for, I obviously won't go into any details here except that I am pricing her under 10k. I want to advertise her in a way to reach good people, but some of the sites I've found are really more geared toward the big expensive horses that have amazing records.

I sent an ad to Sport Horse Nation, but I haven't seen it up yet so I'm not really sure if I did it right!

What other routes could I take? She also does hunters so it doesn't even have to be an event horse only market.

I've never really sold a horse before.. any tips or tricks?

Thanks!

Mods-if this is too close to advertising I'll change it, I also have no pictures of her anywhere in my profile or links.

Have you tried word of mouth with your trainer or friends? Maybe try the local tack shop too. Most of the tack shops in my area have a for-sale binder or a board where you can post ads.

I'd say just stick her on dreamhorse, equine.com and equinenow.com.

Also, we seem to have A LOT of quick sales on facebook. We have a Texas Sport Horse Market page. I bet other states have that too!
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

You could also send it to your local Pony Clubs or send an email to the RS for your region. I'm in DelMarVa Region and we are always getting emails from our RS.

i have sold 4 in the last month on facebook believe it or not.
    www.camaloufarms.com

ride it like you stole it! "ralph hill"

FaceBook..Sports Horse and Dreamhorse as well as direct marketing to a target audience...

I have tried to spread it word of mouth, a few of my horse friends have put her on their facebook page which I really appreciate it. I found 2 horse for sale groups on facebook but didn't have much luck.. it seemed to be a lot of young girls.

I'm not a pony clubber but how would I get in touch with a RS (what is an RS?).

Not just local pony club, you could put an ad on the USPC national website. It could attract interest from outside your region since you are close to several regions.

A horse in the 7K-10K market isn't expensive? Lol. I need to get out more often.

My advise is to bring it to shows and talk to trainers about it. They may take a small fee, but if it's a fit for one of their students, they'll help.

Quote Originally Posted by Neigh-Neigh View Post
    A horse in the 7K-10K market isn't expensive? Lol. I need to get out more often.
    I know scary right. But I live in the same general area as the OP and would say that is on the lower end of the spectrum for this area.

Web sites are good. Also take her to some of the more local dealers like Vince Dugan or Courney Cooper. Put flyers up at the tack stores. This is an area full of trainers and riders. If she will hunt, see if you can get some one to take her out a few times too. That will increase who will look at her.

Good luck!
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Pickering and Radnor Hunt Pony Clubs both have web sites with classified sections. That would hit your target market.

There is also the new ThisHorse4Sale.com site that lists your horse and gives you a saddle pad for when you have him out and about. I've seen the pad once or twice at shows and thought it was a great idea. Not sure if the idea has taken hold yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Meredith Clark View Post
    I have tried to spread it word of mouth, a few of my horse friends have put her on their facebook page which I really appreciate it. I found 2 horse for sale groups on facebook but didn't have much luck.. it seemed to be a lot of young girls.

I'm not a pony clubber but how would I get in touch with a RS (what is an RS?).
    RS - Regional Supervisor - for the DelMarVa Region (which I believe you are in) it would be Bodgie Reed. If you send her an email she will send it out to all the clubs in the Region.

Try the Area II group on Facebook, too.
    I would do dreamhorse. Not too expensive and a lot of exposure...
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

Irv Richie is the Regional Supervisor for EPA Pony Club if you want to email him he'll send it out. Or send it to me and I'll get it to him.