The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default need some ideas for a show extras kit

We are thinking of putting together a show extras kit for our Barn Owner for Christmas

One thing I know we are doing is the Flair nose strips for Horses

What else do people find really handy to have around at a show

she has all the usual brushes, shoe studs, buckets

Even looking for stuff for people to make life easier

thanks for the help

Black or brown shoelaces

electrical tape and duct tape, cause both can be life savers in the weirdest ways...

extra hooks, cause it never fails i always have more things to hang than i brought hooks for...

Q-tips, windex, and papertowels - cause i forget these on a regular basis and needed them for quick cleanings or other things.

HAND LOTION... After washing horses, vehicles, equipment, my hands are always so dang dry and i never bring hand lotion to a show so i suffer... You would think i would learn...

Safety pins for the clothing emergency...

That's all i can think of off the top of my head.

Polishing cloth for harness hardware. I know the ADS ones are excellent, but maybe you can find some local ones with the short time to send for them. Flannel yellow fabric impregnated with something, really puts a shine on stuff, comes in a plastic bag. Velcro straps, bundle of 6 ea., 15" long for rolling up reins, traces, holding them together. Might call them cable ties. I get mine at Home Depot. Also good on electric cords, bundle of towels. I find the 15" ones excellent for many uses, while the shorter ones are just too short. These red ones "seem stickier" than velcro straps from other places or the cut your own size, off a roll of velcro.

A few years ago I bought a wrapping organizer by Rubbermaid, hangs up like a shoe holder. Piece of cloth back, with see-thru, heavy vinyl pockets that zip closed. That has been REALLY handy for holding many show needs, all visible and contained.

A self-assembled First Aid Kit for her trailer might be nice. I keep mine in one of the Rubbermaid tote boxes, with various items inside smaller boxes to keep them contained. The Gladware or Ziplock boxes are both inexpensive and pretty tough, to hold the items like adhesive tape, or the thermometer and scissors, some gauze rolls and so on. If the box gets tipped over, you still have all clean stuff inside the pile of smaller boxes. Some items I now carry are Super Glue for closing some big cuts and a cheap YELLOW Duck, digital thermometer (easy to spot fast) with the probe covers in a box. Sure a far cry from the old days! And with Christmas you might even find a RED tote, easy to spot among other packed things. You can put in things you KNOW will be needed for a lot less money than the pre-assembled First Aid kits they sell. Leave some boxes empty, she can then put her own "don't leave home without it" items in the kit.