The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Default Me too! Me too!!!

OK, you guys are motivating me..
    I have a 4 yo (coming 5) GRP Black Delight mare, who has become a handfull since the cold weather hit. Guess we'll be moving on to those shoulder-in/leg yield/half-passes
    First time out....
    Delight this fall

I have a second 4 yo GRP mare by Beaujolais, who I've had for about three weeks now. I'll have to kidnap a friend to come and video us some time. We have steering mostly down, and are working on upward transitions without rushing....

I love reading everyones stories about their greenies.

leah, Pie is very handsome. Where in Columbus are you? Im from there originally though left when I was 9. The rest of my family lives in Pine Mountain in Harris county. I used to live over near Moon Rd on the north side of town, somewhat near the airport.

Got in some new boots for Rex yesterday. I plan to long line him tomorrow. Id still like Mr Trainer to get on a few more times before I will feel comfy riding him I think. Cant afford to get hurt! Esp with my ski vaca coming up.
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

Krazy~ Thanks!! He is such a good boy. We live in Upatoi, which is just past Midland! We are 20 minutes from Poplar Place, which is awesome I love Harris Co. What a small world
    Founder & President, Dapplebay, Inc.
    Creative Director, Equestrian Culture Magazine
    Take us to print!

Cool! I usually go up once a year for Tday but we actually had Tday here this year. Its so pretty up there esp with the fall colors and all. We dont have a lot of that here.
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

I love looking at everyone's pictures...your horses are beautiful.
    Here is my 3.5 year old dutch wb mare Niki. I've had her since she was 10 months old. She has been under saddle about 8 months now. I sent her to a cowboy to be started on her 3rd birthday. Here are some pictures of her and her progress

Here she is with a fresh body clip in April
    http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h3...day2011288.jpg

Being ridden western by the cowboy trainer (it's amazing how much she has grown since then! 2 inches in height and she has filled out tons)
    http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h3...rsepics055.jpg

This summer
    http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h3...que4mos028.jpg

And my last shot of her before her winter woolies came in this fall
    http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h3...31727441_o.jpg

I think we're off to a good start for her first year under saddle. She has the rest of the winter off now...i may hop on her a few times on nice days but she is out of work to finish growing up.

Just a quick update that I actually got on my greenie tonight, and he did... okay.

He is hesitant with the whole "go forward" idea. He get's "stuck" and either plants his feet or starts backing up (which I HATE)

The last trainer who really pushed it (with his dressage whip) got soundly bucked off. I can totally see this horse doing that... I got all naggy with my legs and I could feel him tense up. I can easily see how he could be explosive if provoked.

When he would get "stuck," I would just turn him either left or right- anything to get his feet moving, but he has a very bendy neck, so that wasn't as effective as I was hoping.

He might take a little longer to really get going than I thought. Which is okay, considering his past, and the fact that we have no immediate plans or goals.

Last edited by fjording; Dec. 29, 2011 at 03:37 AM.

oharabear- I recognize your horse So glad he landed in a good spot.
    Does he like treats? If so, clicker training would be a great way to teach him that going forward under saddle can be positive for him
    Founder & President, Dapplebay, Inc.
    Creative Director, Equestrian Culture Magazine
    Take us to print!

This is my IDSH mare with a about 6 weeks under saddle She has shown such a great attitude, I am thrilled with her and this breeding

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...e611-27-11.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...ie11-27-11.jpg
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

I have a 9 year TB mare that I have been trying to bring along for 2 years now. I've just never been able to commit to a riding schedule, or I'd ride steady and then take a long break...just never managed to get my act together. Last month I moved her to a new barn (on full care as opposed to self-care) that has better facilities including good footing and lights! I've been trying to go at least twice a week, three if possible to ride after work. And we are finally making some progress. Lessons aren't an option right now, but I've been watching a lot of youtube videos put out for instruction, like Jane Savoie's. We have made such progress in just a couple of weeks. She's starting to put muscle in the right places and she's excelling in lateral work. We are building trust and I rode with no stirrups since my accident in May...terrifying at first but she took care of me. I love this little mare and I'm having a blast with her.

Schooling off the farm, an old photo now but she's so cute :-)

So this Saturday I was finally able to long line Rex. I had been wanting too all week but getting home after 630pm after putting in 10 hrs left me with no energy.

Anyways, it was our first long lining session in over 6 months. He was good. Two little moments where he was being a fresh 4 y/o but not bad. Once going left a little half rear kick deal and then going to the right he still did his typical "I dont want to go to the right so all of a sudden Im going to duck out left at the rail" movement. Hes stiff to the right and was like that before - going to the left has always been easier. So nothing new but he went on about his business with a little encouragement.

It was nice to watch him go though as he looks so mature and grown up now even without any muscle. I am catching glimpses of how he could look in the future and his movement and wow. Hes a nice boy if I do say so myself.

So wonderful horse husband videographer was there watching and took some video with his cell (our phones have HD capibilities so they are not bad at all) so I got the last part to upload (the others were jumpy and freezing in a different video setting) and I also took stills from the vids to see too.

Im a little rusty with the lines and need to get a little quicker with keeping him from losing the right position and try to keep the ducking from even happening. But not too shabby with over 6 months off.

Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZDvqlCFKZk

Some stills

little naughtiness
    http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...28278018_n.jpg

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...92365094_n.jpg

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...85122102_n.jpg

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...02536637_n.jpg

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...87802597_n.jpg

And the link to my FB photos (its public)
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=0ccc014506
    ~~~~~~~~~

Oh Rex is just gorgeous, as always. I loved the first pic, of him being a sassy baby.

SaluteatX and horsetales, your mares are adorable!

I finally got the ok to go back to the gym and back to riding, providing I take it easy. MiasPal is riding her again tomorrow night but if she's good perhaps I will hop on at the end! Wheeee I'm so excited to be getting back in the saddle finally!!
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

How exciting! Getting the all clear is the best news you can get! Maybe some pics....?
    ~~~~~~~~~

KrazyTBMare -- he is lovely!

I've been terrible with the camera, but my mom was on hand to take pictures the other day and... only one turned out

...though, it does encompass the craziness we've been working around -- her (now weaned!) baby trying to sneak a snack while we work on flexing at the halt. This is one of baby's more sedate moments -- usually she's rodeoing while we trundle around. Quite glad that she's now being a "big girl' with her weaner buddy.

Her neck is not so freakishly short as it appears, and you're welcome for the lovely visual of my giant purple puffy vest.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/b...scamera093.jpg

at least it shows her adorable little face!

Quote Originally Posted by kashmere View Post
    KrazyTBMare -- he is lovely!

I've been terrible with the camera, but my mom was on hand to take pictures the other day and... only one turned out

...though, it does encompass the craziness we've been working around -- her (now weaned!) baby trying to sneak a snack while we work on flexing at the halt. This is one of baby's more sedate moments -- usually she's rodeoing while we trundle around. Quite glad that she's now being a "big girl' with her weaner buddy.

Her neck is not so freakishly short as it appears, and you're welcome for the lovely visual of my giant purple puffy vest.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/b...scamera093.jpg

at least it shows her adorable little face!
    LOL this pic just made my night. Totally know how your mare feels... that's how I felt last year, with a new baby of my own.

Both Mama and Baby are cute! I love all the photos everyone is posting.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashGordon View Post
    LOL this pic just made my night. Totally know how your mare feels... that's how I felt last year, with a new baby of my own.

Both Mama and Baby are cute! I love all the photos everyone is posting.
    Ha! When we separated them on Sunday, baby was calling, pacing etc. I led Momma into the other barn and I swear I heard her sigh of relief when she saw a pile of hay meant just for her! They're both total loves, although baby is definitely mischievous where her mother is sweet through and through.

I'm in! I'm in!! This is such a great and inspiring thread! We all need to stick together with our greenbeans! Everyone's horses are SO beautiful! I've got to spend some time going through ALL the pictures and learning more about each of your journeys!

My girl is a 3.5 year old (get ready for this) 13.3hh Clydesdale/Percheron/Haflinger/Morgan cross. LOL I actually, like Perfect Pony, was saving the money to buy a fancy upper level prospect...and ACTUALLY like amm2cd I was gonna get a Hilken's Black Delight GRP! I'm excited to see you progress with yours as I'm hoping to get one some day too! But anyways, like Perfect Pony, I fell absolutely head over heels with a photo from a obscure website in Iowa of a pony that looked just like a shrunken Clydesdale...something I've always joked about wanting! After sending a local friend to check her out and giving her rave reviews she was en route! Not my ideal Grand Prix pony but hey...she's got brains, is a pretty darn good mover and has the trainability that I think we can overcome some of her conformational flaws and actually get pretty far!

Willa is hands down the ABSOLUTE EASIEST horse I've ever trained...and I've trained lots! Nothing is a big deal. Her brain is fantastic. Personality like a snuggly puppy who follows you around all day and loves to snuggle. She's quiet and thoughtful and with only 15 rides she's walk/trot/canter, trail riding like an old pro and happily popping over small fences. It's amazing. I have to keep reminding myself to slow down because she's moving so fast!

Here is a link of her photoalbum. You can see a bunch of our "firsts" on there. Her first time with me sitting on her, first time under saddle being led, first trot, first canter, first time jumping on the longe and then her SECOND time ever jumping as the FIRST time was minutes before the second when I was trotting in a circle around the "Log Jump" in our ring and she grabbed the bit, wheeled around and took herself over it with me trying to hit the brakes! LOL

http://photobucket.com/adventuresofwilla

You can also see her youtube video of how she chases my car when I come and go from the barn. She's just so darn social! LOL She can't get enough of people!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tKpCzTLiOM

Right now we're just working on rhythm, relaxation and understanding of the cues. She's caught right on and I'm ready to head in for some training with her. I've moved away from Milwaukee to Door County, WI and there is no indoor, no trainer and I'm going NUTS not having a groomed arena to ride in! She's just learning to stretch into the bit and then UP a hill we go, trip over this bump in the grass, DOWN a hill we go. UGH! LOL But we'll go get on a flat surface soon and get her a nice place to start learning all her basics! I'm SO in love and have never had so much fun with a horse before! I'm so glad I got her and am SO excited for our fun future together!

OK! Who's NEXT!
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

Keg-A-Bacchus- OMG that video of Willa chasing your car and calling you is ADORABLE!! None of my horses are *that* excited to see me! LOL! Too cute!

I rode Stretch again tonight. I went solo, with no ground person. I have realized that he's ALWAYS had a ground person around, and I think he uses them as a crutch and doesn't really know how to listen to his rider.

So the barn was empty, I was feeling motivated, so I climbed on and it only took about 5-10 minutes to really solidify to him that leg=go.

We did lots and lots of whoa/walk/whoa transitions and quit when I got a few prompt walks off of a very slight nudge. I was tempted to try trotting but decided to keep it short, simple, and quit while I was ahead.

At the beginning of the ride he would toss his head quite a bit when I would ask him to go, but by the end of the ride he was playing with the bit, chewing it, and seeking contact. He likes contact. It seems like it really gives him confidence when I "hold him."

DEFINITELY a big improvement over our last "first" ride. I'm pretty pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by leahandpie View Post
    oharabear- I recognize your horse So glad he landed in a good spot.
    Does he like treats? If so, clicker training would be a great way to teach him that going forward under saddle can be positive for him
    He does like treats- too much, actually. He's one of the first horses I've owned where I had to stop feeding him treats because he gets pushy/rude/disrespectful. Which is sad for me, because I like spoiling my horses!

Now if I feel the need to give him cookies, they go in his feed bucket.

LOL! Thanks oharabear! She's a freakin' hoot. She really knows how to pull on my heartstrings and make sure I pay all her bills and spoil her rotten with new saddles, bridles, treats and everything else her little pony heart may desire! The barn owners non-horsey husband now spends every morning in the pasture having his morning coffee because once she moved in she would see him come out on the porch at his house and stand there and call to him until he came down and hugged her head. So now every morning he comes out, she calls, he heads to the pasture and stands there for a few minutes with her head burried in his chest. He's so in love with her we always argue over who loves her more. LOL She just LOVES people! And I'm also told that when I'm not there to ride and the other girls are there with their horses that she will go to her cross tie place and stand and stare at the door I normally come in. We crosstie in the run-in right now and when they tie up there two she walks right over to where I would have her and waits patiently hoping she too gets to go play. I have to sneak out there to see this one sometime! LOL

I was just about to type a response to your issue as it's the ONLY issue that I stumbled across with Willa. I've always had a ground person to assist in starting horses but since moving I lost my training partner So usually I start by lunging and teaching them voice cues that mean walk, trot, canter, easy (slow down), big (bigger gait but don't switch), relax (drop head and stretch) and whoa. After getting them spot on to verbal cues only I back them and have my assistant lunge me on them. The first session I just passenger...no assistance. Second session I allow the lunger to give all the verbal cues at the same time I give the leg/seat cues in the saddle. Third ride, or when they get that down pat, I take over all verbal/seat/leg cues and the lunge person is only there to reinforce with the whip if I get stuck or slow us down if something goes haywire. After 4-5 lunge sessions and fading out the lunger we go off the lunge but have a person on the ground to back us up with the whip if need be.

I like this method because it keeps the horse calm and in his comfort zone. When I tried it with Willa with no ground person she got frustrated and was frozen to my leg. And I had even done in-hand work with her to teach her to move forward to pressure on her side. But it just didn't quite translate and I got on her twice and just didn't like the confusion/resistance I was feeling underneath me. So I finally found a good ground person to come over and help and after 2 lunge sessions we were right on track and I was completely in charge! She was so much more relaxed and happy as she understood now what I wanted. I was glad to not start off our under saddle relationship with fear/resistance as I want her to have FUN! Something to think about as it sounds like we have the exact same issue and this worked great for Willa! Just slowly fade out your ground person so your horse doesn't get nervous or confused.

Good luck!!
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."