The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Well my "baby" is coming along. As some of you know I bought myself a 3 year old Connemara pony for my 40th birthday. I was going to buy myself a fancy, upper level dressage prospect for my 40th birthday, but through my crazy shopping adventures, I ended up with a pony.

Here we are on one of our first rides
    http://pets.webshots.com/photo/22949...04500765NBPvuX

It's been an adventure. I put the first 4 months on her, and just when we were starting to do WTC at the start of 2011 I was bucked off pretty spectacularly. What felt like a real bummer ended up being a blessing in disguise as it forced me to move her to a large training facility, put her in half training where she would be ridden more and I could get regular lessons, and exposed her to horse shows, jumping, etc. We ended up there for 4 months which culminated in us showing in both of our very first dressage show ever, and winning both our classes with a 75% in Intro and a 65% at Training level. It was just the kick in the butt that we needed. She also went to the West Coast Connemara show with her breeders barn in August and ended up winning Champion in the "Prospect" division, which was Intro dressage, WT on the flat, 18" hunter classes and a trail class.

Now I have her closer to home and I am riding her full-time, and we are preparing to show Intro/Training next year and hopefully move up to First. I also need to get her ready to show in the Green division at the Connemara show next year. And trail riding, lots of trail riding.

Anyway, here's our most recent picture. She pretty much just looks like a big, wooly, stuffed animal, but I love her anyway
    http://pets.webshots.com/photo/25178...04500765veFiGr

Dwb= Danish warmblood
    Kwpn= Dutch warmblood

Perfect Pony, now that you have stated your age, you need to change your sig to young lady on a pony. I'll have to get pics soon, but the upper level prospect you passed on has two rides under her belt, tried to bolt the first ride, second ride yesterday doing great (being led).

Mine is a 3.5 year mare, Dee. She is a TB/Percheron, was a PMU rescue.
    She was started in the summer of 2010 at 2.5, not by me. Then was off until this spring when I started working with her.
    I was a working student and she was given to my as my project. I moved back home and purchased her and brought her with me.
    She just made the move last week, so she was off about 3 weeks.
    This winter I'm just going to work on keeping her sane, don't have great riding facilities at current barn. In the spring I will be looking for a new barn and a coach, hopefully in the same location!

Default The perfect thread!

I just bought my first baby, she's just shy of 3 and just starting under saddle and I am in love. She is a Hanoverian/Connemara cross and I have never had so much fun in my life and she isn't even home yet She is at the breeder's while their trainer puts another month of training on her and she is just super, I am planning on enjoying every second of this - with a ton of help from my trainer of course!!!! Her name is Foxy Brown GCF (previously Flashdance GCF) and she comes home to me in January.

A photo of my girl on the lunge line....
    http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/r...t/IMG_1968.jpg

gorgeous! Lots of wonderful youngsters here, I need to get pic's of mine.

Default This.

shawnee....genius!

Quote Originally Posted by Tanyanoel View Post
    I just bought my first baby, she's just shy of 3 and just starting under saddle and I am in love. She is a Hanoverian/Connemara cross and I have never had so much fun in my life and she isn't even home yet She is at the breeder's while their trainer puts another month of training on her and she is just super, I am planning on enjoying every second of this - with a ton of help from my trainer of course!!!! Her name is Foxy Brown GCF (previously Flashdance GCF) and she comes home to me in January.

A photo of my girl on the lunge line....
    http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/r...t/IMG_1968.jpg
    OMG Congratulations!!!! You bought Flashdance, I can't wait for lots of updates. I am very tempted to buy her half sister

Quote Originally Posted by out west View Post
    gorgeous! Lots of wonderful youngsters here, I need to get pic's of mine.
    Well....there IS video of her as a 3 year old on youtube

The best thing about this thread is all the different breeds represented... I love it!
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashGordon View Post
    Janiemerle, can't believe you have a Morgan named Bella too. Everyone keeps asking if I named her after the Twilight character.... lol I didn't even know the Twilight character was named Bella?? Her registered name is GVM Isabella so that's where it came from.
    My girl came with the name Tinkerbella, but no way I would call her that.

Well MiasPal rode Bella for me again last night. She was spicy on the longe prior to the ride... but I think part of that is the fact that while she's turned out at least 14 hours a day, there is so much wet/mud this time of year that I don't think she's really moving when she's out. She likes to just stand there and eat her lovely pile of hay.

Anyway for the first time ever, I saw shades of a grown up horse. We tried a different saddle on her, that seemed to free up her shoulder, and her trotwork was fantastic. She's starting to move off the leg a bit and bending through corners, is relaxing her topline, and is traveling a bit straighter. I think the additional long-lining and groundwork I've been doing the last month has really helped.

She also *loves* trot poles, so we did some of those last night too.

It was the best session yet and I was so encouraged!

Well MiasPal rode Bella for me again last night. She was spicy on the longe prior to the ride... but I think part of that is the fact that while she's turned out at least 14 hours a day, there is so much wet/mud this time of year that I don't think she's really moving when she's out. She likes to just stand there and eat her lovely pile of hay.

Anyway for the first time ever, I saw shades of a grown up horse. We tried a different saddle on her, that seemed to free up her shoulder, and her trotwork was fantastic. She's starting to move off the leg a bit and bending through corners, is relaxing her topline, and is traveling a bit straighter. I think the additional long-lining and groundwork I've been doing the last month has really helped.

Yay!

I dont have a green bean, but I got my saddle in yesterday and my girl is quickly getting into shape. We rode in the dark and alone last night (we have lights but they arent the best) and she was golden

Encouraging rides make the days a little better

Wish COTH had a "like" button!

I had a really nice ride again last night, too. But i fear i have created a monster, and will need to start buying a new dressage whip every few months if this keeps up.

My gelding is OBSESSED with my dressage whip. He now "begs" for it when i stand him up at the mounting block, and will frisk me non-stop while i'm trying to adjust the girth/stirrup leathers, etc. So, i let him have it, and he happily chews on it (like, holds onto it himself, i don't have to hold it for him!!) and chews and chews.. if he drops it he immediately drops his head and starts sniffing around for it, and grabs it and starts up again.

After we're done and i hop off, i undo the flash and he starts looking for the whip again, so i let him chew on it again while i loosen the girth and run my stirrups up.

He's SUCH a hilarious busy-body. Love him.

That is such great new FG!! I can't wait to see some video

ASBJumper, well that is different. My pony is obsessed with cookies, but not something technically uneatable. Should we all start sending you our broken whips to keep him happy? Horses can be so funny.

The only update I have is that my new jumping saddle arrived so I can start jumping. I cannot believe I have gone from riding bareback full time to finally having two saddles that fit. Hopefully these fit for a while. My cheap little pony is costing me many times her price tag in saddles!

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Pony View Post
    ASBJumper, well that is different. My pony is obsessed with cookies, but not something technically uneatable. Should we all start sending you our broken whips to keep him happy? Horses can be so funny.
    LOL, yes please! I would love to "save" my pretty new lavender dressage whip - i quite like it, but clearly he likes it MORE!

Most of my horses are young but I am not sure I would call them specificially green any more. I have a 5 year old PONY but he is 13 hands and though I do dressage with him - I am really teaching him so he will grow into a safe mount for my kids. Not to develop him.

But I will share about an EIGHT year old connemara paint I have. He is LIKELY to be a horse that is in his prime when he is 18 years old not 12-14 as a lot of horses are. he is very flexible and agile and wirey - and he is WIRED mentally to go 100 MPH. He is totally relaxed doing so - but his inner wiring says go-go-go - but its hard to get him to relax over the back and engage. But he's starting to LIKE the idea of slowing his tempo. I just started this horse under saddle summer before last. Before that he was at someone's house as a stud. Long story. But I treat him like he's a baby training-wise. He is a 'green' horse by category. That is where he fits.

I AGREE with the TB MARE THING! I have a 7 year old TB mare off the track. She was on the track last year, sold to a breeding farm, sold to a lady who had no time for her so sold her a few months later to me. This mare is very crooked in her canter. But otherwise, teaching her to round and flex into the hand, lift her back, balance off her hind - be light - pick up the correct lead, leg yield and shoulder in - all of this was like - show her how - and POOF, she does it. And she jumps with perfect form. She just is a bit of a scaredy cat at things we go to away from the farm. She is SO quiet and asleep almost all the time here. I took her to two shows and she was practically convulsing in fear at everything.

I need to get new pictures of them - Santa bought me a new camera as mine broke but I cant open the box until the 25th!

Quote Originally Posted by LaraNSpeedy View Post
    I have a 5 year old PONY but he is 13 hands and though I do dressage with him - I am really teaching him so he will grow into a safe mount for my kids. Not to develop him.
    That was my intention with Bella.... to buy and bring along a horse that would eventually be safe for my kids. There are times I think I made a mistake, because I'll be honest, I think I'm really too big for her.... and I'm not sure my kids really will ever have an interest in horses (DD is 5, DS is 19 months) BUT for now she's a fun project and even if my kids don't end up riding, she will be a superb mount for a pony clubber or a smaller adult.

I do hope though that she'll grow about another hand and bulk up some more so I can keep her for myself.

I bought a welsh sec d this summer. She's 4 years old, 15.2 hh, and kind of a funky bay color with four whites and a blaze. The first month or so was just spent getting her comfortable with leading/tying and grooming.
    We've progressed a bit since then and she had a full month of training in October, then rides 2-4 times a week through november. She is absolutely wonderful under saddle so far, very light and responsive and eager to please. I cant say enough good things about her, she's probably the kindest horse with the best work ethic I've ever been around. She is a bit quirky and probably wouldnt suit everyone, but to me she's just great.
    Since the weather is starting to get a bit awful and the barn is 45min away and the indoor isnt heated, I'll probably just stick to weekends for the next couple of months, which means we'll just be puttering around playing with easy things.
    Future plans are to get her a bit more solid, then move her closer to a barn with lessons available and hopefully get out on the trails and to some small shows next spring/summer.
    Long term goals are dressage, but I'm not adverse to trying some low level events and we may or may not have a reined cowhorse group at our barn encouraging us join the ranks

I'm new here and would love to join this thread

My youngster is a 5 year old TB, he was a pony horse on the track before I got him. His registered name is Caribbean Pirate, I call him Pie. We moved from Seattle, WA to Columbus, GA in May 2011, and he promptly hurt himself upon arrival! He had too much fun on his first day out in the pasture, and came in with a suspensory flare-up. Apparently an old track injury that was never fully healed.

We spent the late spring/summer doing stall rest and rehab, and clicker training for everything from polishing ground manners, learning tricks, to teaching long lining. We started under saddle rehab at the end of July, did our first cantering at the end of September, and we went to our first show (Intro A&B) at the end of October. His leg feels awesome & is better than before.

Pie has been coming along so well, and I have learned so much in the process. He was a very nervous boy when I first got him, but using the clicker training to build his confidence has been amazing- he acts like a different horse. He is calm, willing, and he loves to work, instead of nervous, tense, and herdbound. Really, the injury was a blessing in disguise, because it forced us to start back at square one.

Here is Pie starting back under saddle:
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net..._4733308_n.jpg
    (This was actually our first time trotting under saddle after the injury- note treat pouch! We gradually build up from a few strides, to a full circle, to several circles...)

Here he is at his first lesson, working on stretching over his topline:
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...77791414_n.jpg

At a lesson, mid-october:
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...05722391_n.jpg

And last week, working at home:
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...65589181_n.jpg

I'm keeping a blog to write down our training sessions, post pictures, etc.

It is so fun to see everyone else's projects!!!
    Founder & President, Dapplebay, Inc.
    Creative Director, Equestrian Culture Magazine
    Take us to print!