The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Narrow tree/Wide gullet saddle ideas?

Sorry to start another saddle thread but I'm looking for opinions. It has become clear that my old jumping saddle will not fit my new horse despite flockings, saddle pads ect. So I'm in the market for a new/ new to me saddle. I need a saddle that comes in narrow or medium/narrow but with a wide gullet. Any suggestions? I would ideally like something that helps with my leg position also. I tried him in an Albion cc, medium tree, that felt wonderful to me but was too wide for him. A new Albion is not in the budget so I'm hoping for ideas??
    Help...
    It takes a good deal of physical courage to ride a horse. This, however, I have. I get it at about forty cents a flask, and take it as required. ~Stephen Leacock

Go on E bay, you can get great deals on Albions if you buy them from the UK, there are often several on there, even with the really crappy USD/GBP exchange rate and shipping (not as bad as you would expect) they are still often great deals. I have had a number of my students do it, you just need to know exactly what you want.

Look around for a used Schleese. They don't get any wider through the gullet than that!
    Proud supporter of SprotHorseRiders.com

Selleria Equipe- wide gullets, great quality at the best price! you can find some threads on them in the hunter/jumper forum. I am about to buy one myself, and i have heard nothing but great reviews.

My extra narrow County had a very wide gullet for a narrow tree. I recently bought a Stubben Portos which is a French style jumping saddle but has a wider gullet. My pony needs a narrower tree, wide gullet with wider points (for her big shoulders), the County Innovation was the only thing that fit her, then as her back became more curvy the Stubben Portos was one of the only things that fit her.

The Schleese probably would have fit her, but I had a less than $2500 budget! (and I could not find a used Schleese with an upswept panel)

I have a couple of newish St. Lourdes saddles that have nice wide gullets, and are under $1000 new - they can be had for peanuts of you find one you like used.

A used Schleese is a good idea as well, they love the wide gullet as well.