The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Orchard Grass Hay?

Can anyone tell me what Orchard Grass hay is and how good it is?

In Texas and I've found someone that is selling Orchard Grass Hay at $9/bale, apparently out of Colorado. That's way cheaper than the Coastal from the feedstore at $12/bale - but I know NOTHING about Orchard Grass.

If you can get good OG, by all means, grab it. Very nice hay. Good OG is better than good Coastal.

Orchard Grass is good stuff... I'd feed it over Coastal any day!

\"For all those men who say, \"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free,\" here\'s an update for you: Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it\'s not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage.\"-

Orchard is a very good grass. We usually buy it mixed with alfalfa. Horses love it.
    \"I never play horseshoes \'cause Mother taught us not to throw our clothes around,\" ~ Mr. Ed

My horses love their Orchard Grass. We just got a load that is like horse-crack for $4/bale... its divine

IMO it's wonderful, and I've fed nothing but to my horses since 2006.

First cutting averages 10-12% protein, 900 calories per pound, 10% NSC
    Second/third cutting averages 14-16% protein, 1100 calories per pound, 12-14% NSC

The horses love it (particularly the later cuttings, which they get in a smaller proportion depending on how much they're working) and I've been really happy with the consistency from year to year.

My hay guy charges $4/bale for the 1st cutting and $5/bale for the later cuttings. First cutting bales are 40 pounds, later ones closer to 45-50.
    Click here before you buy.

My horse loves orchard. I've been getting a 1st cutting orchard/timothy mix for $ 6.75 a 40-45lb bale from my hay guy that comes from NY. 2nd cutting was even nicer than the 1st but it came in smaller bales and cost a dollar more..my horse would eat it way too fast so I swtiched it back to 1st.

My horse coliced on coastal so I stay far away.....

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    If you can get good OG, by all means, grab it. Very nice hay. Good OG is better than good Coastal.
    Ditto

We fed a timothy/orchard grass mix when we lived in NJ..coastal doesnt have ANYTHING on it..

Been looking for some modular bales of alfalfa and orchard grass for my sheep..THAT stuff is HEAVENLY smelling

LOOOOVE good orchard grass. I have some soft green 2nd cutting orchard grass and my boys gobble it up.
    come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

I wish I could find plain orchard grass here -- I get an orchard/alfalfa mix (which just hit $12.50 a bale, for comparison -- your $9 sounds reasonable given the transportation costs involved.)

I'd much rather feed a plain grass hay and add pellets or cubes if needed, but it's this or the local coastal, which is cheaper at first glance, but not when you add in the vet bills! (Patrick gets bloated and colicky on coastal. Not fun.)

If it's good quality hay, grab it and forget about the coastal bermuda!
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by spinandslide View Post
    Ditto

We fed a timothy/orchard grass mix when we lived in NJ..coastal doesnt have ANYTHING on it..

Been looking for some modular bales of alfalfa and orchard grass for my sheep..THAT stuff is HEAVENLY smelling
    try HAY USA in Weatherford, TX; Liz has small squares (120#) and 1000# 3by3by8 of timothy/orchard from Colorado and Oregon

As a note orchard grass hay was perfected in Oldham County Kentucky near Goshen from grass seeds from Virginia... the farm that developed the hay is still in the original family's hands

Ditto all the above. Just check the respective bale weights, though, rather than buying just by the bale. Orchard tends to be 'fluffy', so bales can be super-light weight and horses can hoover it down.

I got some beautiful orchard round bales a few years ago. The bales were about 6' in diameter, but much lighter than a normal 4' timothy bale. I was used to the free choice timothy bales lasting about a week and a half--orchard bales disappeared in, like, 2 days! And I'm pretty sure the horses got visibly fatter...

So, yeah, great stuff. Just buy by weight!
    ---------------------------

" as well.

It's the stuff so yummy you'd want to eat it yourself, if you were a horse...

It's like spaghetti for kids!
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

Wsmoak, I also feed the OG/ALF mix but I have to pay $14.50 or more per bale since I'm farther south. Just way to much but I don't want to feed coastal.
    Love the OG.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

I feed orchard/alfalfa mix and my little hoovers absolutely love it. Everyone who sees it comments on what nice hay I have. Thankfully our prices for it are nothing like yours! I payed $5 for 60-70lb bales of beautiful 2nd cut this year.

Thanks everyone - great feedback! I feel much better now. I knew absolutely nothing about it. I'll definitely weigh it also.

been feeding orchard/fescue mix for years that is great quality hay. Love it. And I love that I pick it up out of the field for $3.00/bale.
    "ronnie was the gifted one, victor was the brilliant intellect, and i [GM], well, i am the plodder."

Quote Originally Posted by Kate66 View Post
    In Texas and I've found someone that is selling Orchard Grass Hay at $9/bale
    May I ask what part of Texas?

BO grows OG/timothy mix for the boarders and to sell/trade--Lucky vacuums it up and I liked it a lot better than feeding alfalfa/alf mix.

Quote Originally Posted by janiemerle View Post
    May I ask what part of Texas?
    Janie, I am about midway between Houston and Austin, just outside of Brenham.