The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Default What animal do you covet?

Is there an animal or breed you would love to have but decline, knowing its.just.not.a good time/fit/place??

I'd LOOOVE a bull terrier, a Frenchie, a Maine Coon, and chickens...

Bully and Frenchie-worried about health/social problems-lots of dogs passing through here, so we all jest gotta git along.

Maine Coon kitty-LOVE them, but I cant get past the kitty faces at the shelters

Chickens (and EGGS) would be great but neighbors would certainly object.

@ lovey, gimme your address, I'll mail you my insane fool of a bully. Phew.
    They were a breed too I had always longed for but now that I have one...I have shacked myself to this insanity for awhile. Love him desperately but jesus. Like owning a crack baby.

I desperately covet Irish Wolfhounds; I was raised with danes but becuase I bring my dogs to work with me, I just don't have room for an XXL in my life right now. But an XXL + hair? Gimme.

Old English Sheepdogs...one was a heart dog of mine, but its too hot in the southeast to feasibly own one here Always loved Dalmatians and fostered one for awhile but not the time or place.

And a Smooth Coated Collie or--if we're being REALLY covet-like; a Borzoi or large, hairy sighthound. (I'd even steal an Afghan).

in the cat department, I'd own a Scottish Fold in a second.

Second the Irish Wolfhound! I would also love to have a pygmy goat! But keeping those things in a fence is like trying to nail jello to a tree!

Ooh ooh, and now that I know what htey're called--an Oorang Airedale Terrier.

And my "rare breed that you never see but I'd die for" award goes to the Spinone Italiano.

Quote Originally Posted by irkenequine View Post
    @ lovey, gimme your address, I'll mail you my insane fool of a bully. Phew.
    They were a breed too I had always longed for but now that I have one...I have shacked myself to this insanity for awhile. Love him desperately but jesus. Like owning a crack baby.
    Yup, this is why I covet but the smart part of my brain says, "Sweetums, you are too old and slow for this..."

IW's and Scottish Deerhounds-YUM! OOOh, Borzois, and I love Beagles, Rough Collies, Dobies, GSDs (anyone remember Covy Tucker Hills Manhattan?? OMG OOHLALA!)

But my forever dogs are Labs (black!) and shorty JRTs...

I want a donkey. Or a mule. Or both-oh, those adorable EARS!

And my "rare breed that you never see but I'd die for" award goes to the Spinone Italiano.
    My vet does the Spinonis--Vinnie sports a crooked bull's horn on his collar--calling Paulie D from Jersey Shore...!!

Afghans! sooo beautiful, but so much grooming....

I have always wanted:

A miniature donkey. Just to hear that hee-haw in the morning. I think the voice of donkeys, like the voice of Beagles, is proof that God has a sense of humor.

A pygmy goat or two. Hopefully to come next year after I've improved more of the fencing, see above note.

A black Great Dane. Just think they look cool. Also have a good memory about them. When I was a kid about 8, Mom went to visit some folks in the church once and took me along. They had a black Dane in front of their fireplace. Lady said Duchess, the Dane, was always cold. As another being always cold, I could sympathize, and I went over to that dog and curled up in front of the fire myself with her as a pillow. She couldn't have cared less, and she made an excellent pillow.

I always wanted Siamese cats, too, but I now have a few of those (as well as some hobos, ex street cats, etc.). The Meezers are everything I thought they would be, both positively and negatively. Wouldn't trade them for anything.

I used to want a tank full of seahorses when I was a kid. I thought fish in an aquarium were boring; seahorses would be much better. Then I discovered that seahorses live on a diet of live plankton. $$$$ Farewell, dream of a seahorse aquarium.

Ooh ooh, and now that I know what htey're called--an Oorang Airedale Terrier.

Spinone Italiano ...lol seen one today at a dog show....

I want a Shiba Inu but they are just way too expensive. Heck even the ones I found in rescue were! Or on the other side of the country. I also want a pug. I found one this summer but my "NO MORE ANIMALS" mother claimed her immediately. The prices in the pug rescues are just way out of my budget. For that I'd add a little more and get one from a breeder and know the history!

I also want a siamese cat and have forever, doesn't even have to be pure, just LOOK it. But all that ever shows up are calicos and yellow tabbies!
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

I desperately want an Irish Wolfhound and a Giraffe!

It must be my short complex. I do prefer smaller horses and ponies at least.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

1 members found this post helpful.

Saint Bernard. But they are too big to carry, if they were to get really sick and need to go to the vet, or if they got severe arthritis and needed to be carried to get in the car. My DH is often gone, so I won't get a dog that I can't lift by myself.

Lots
    As far as dogs go, Briards, Welsh Terriers, and Skye Terriers.
    Outside of dogs . . .
    Miniature donkeys

Potbellied pigs

Tortoises (no idea why)

Alpacas

I think I'd like a mini zoo!

Ooh! Ooh! Sign me up for a Briard too Casey! There's a woman in the city who walks her 2 Briards all the time and I about wreck rubber-necking her often enough.

My vet does the Spinonis--Vinnie sports a crooked bull's horn on his collar--calling Paulie D from Jersey Shore...!!
    LOVE them! I have only ever seen one in person in my entire life, at a dog festival here. I practically tripped over myself running to them at top speed spouting "OMGISTHATITALIANSPINONE." I set an excellent impression. Apparently tehy'd had puppy shipped from Michigan.

I always wanted to have a basenji some day, tan irish marked one.
    Everyone I talked to that has or had one tells me not to, they are like cats, you can train them, but why go thru that gargantuan effort, when most any other dog is a walk in the park compared with basenjis?
    They tell me to get a cat.

Everyone that has or had them was showing other breeds also and doing very well with them in obedience, but their basenjis were strictly conformation dogs.

I think that the later years, once clicker training, operant conditioning became the way to train, basenjis can be competitive trained thru that method, although still not exactly easy to train.

You know, I have never personally wanted a basenji but I've always found them neat little dogs. I love their face shape and they have a great personality.

We had one come through our clinic recently who's breeders WEBSITE was tattooed on the inside of its leg I couldnt decide if it was just plain advertising or also a safety measure.

The more I sit here the more I covet. Shame on whoever made this board! I'd add a giant Deaf white Great Dane to my covet list, alongside Giant Schnauzers, the Goldendoodles of the minute, Bouviers and those Logattos...the truffle sniffing things. Basically, I'm pining for anything with hair as I have 2 short coated and a no coated.

I'd actually really like to have a Guinea Pig - first time in decades I haven't had other indoor pets, so it would be a great time for it - but they are absurdly hard to find in the Chattanooga area. Looks like I'd have to drive to Knoxville or Atlanta. I surf Craigslist periodically when I remember to, but they're always gone when I call.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

lovey...we were seperated at birth.........i have seriously coveted an english bully since i saw the FIRST version of incredible journey when i was six........and i have had labs and jrts for the past 30 yrs...multiples,at the same time..i too, know that it would be an insane decision, but i still drool over them...and a breeder lives right in my town...

and i just acquired a riding donk and a riding mule.......LOVE them...sooooooooooo much cuddlier than my horses, and the noise makes me laugh every mornig

@tallyho, I dunno where you're located but I live next to a huge BT Rescue and they are OVERFLOWING with awesome babies! The Miami Dade shelter in particular gets about 3-4 a week and the EBT people can't keep up with them.