The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ou first Mountain trail trial

Here we are in Eugene last weekend. This was our first show. I was pleased with her performance, she's never been to a show before, so I wasn't expecting much.....

http://youtu.be/ZHqOnCviAXM
    Turn off the computer and go ride!

Cool! Did you have a good time?

Have you been to any of the trail clinics down at Eugene? They're fun and a great help in preparing for those shows.

I want to do that...I know of nothing like that on the East coast.

Quote Originally Posted by BayRoan View Post
    Cool! Did you have a good time?

Have you been to any of the trail clinics down at Eugene? They're fun and a great help in preparing for those shows.
    Yes, we had a great time. I have nto attended the clinics there, but ridden on another course. I might try one of the clinics next year!

Definitely come to the clinics! They are a great value, not only for the quality of instruction, but the fact that you can ride, self directed, for 3 days over courses in two arenas whenever there aren't clinic sessions going on (morning, evening, lunch break). So, if your horse has a particular trouble spot, like the water obstacles, you can school until it's no big deal. The practice show at the end is nice because you can order a DVD that has audio of the judge's comments and suggestions as you ride the course.

The shows are really fun and I think the people are fantastic, but they are horse shows and there are definitely tips that the trainers who are involved in this venue can pass on that are greatly helpful. As a bonus, the more broke and better your horse gets on these courses, the more fun and easy they are to ride out in the mountains. :-)

So glad you had a great time! Hope to meet you at the spring clinic!

Quote Originally Posted by qhwpmare View Post
    I want to do that...I know of nothing like that on the East coast.

Me too, that looks like fun...>

Default nice job! and fun!

I really like how careful your horse is about where he puts his feet. Kudos to you for letting her have the time to look at the new stuff! Great first time! Is that entire business made in an indoor setting? I'm not sure my horse has ever seen a waterfall up close....yours didn't give it a second thought. Fun, fun.

--nhhaflngr. (It's snowing in NH today)
    Last edited by nhhaflngr; Nov. 11, 2011 at 04:54 PM. Reason: I mean "her"

Definitely come to the clinics! They are a great value, not only for the quality of instruction, but the fact that you can ride, self directed, for 3 days over courses in two arenas whenever there aren't clinic sessions going on (morning, evening, lunch break). So, if your horse has a particular trouble spot, like the water obstacles, you can school until it's no big deal. The practice show at the end is nice because you can order a DVD that has audio of the judge's comments and suggestions as you ride the course.

The shows are really fun and I think the people are fantastic, but they are horse shows and there are definitely tips that the trainers who are involved in this venue can pass on that are greatly helpful. As a bonus, the more broke and better your horse gets on these courses, the more fun and easy they are to ride out in the mountains. :-)

So glad you had a great time! Hope to meet you at the spring clinic!
    I think these courses are harder than the mountains! This mare does great on mountian trails, but this definitely throws in additional challenges..... The lights, the activity, all the horses....makes her more nervous......

Did we perhaps meet last weekend? Are you there for this weekend?

Yes, we could certainly use some tips.... We did have trouble with the water this time. I was surprised as she has no trouble on trail, will hop right in a river....she's good at home and at the trainer's facility....but this water was different. She went in the Logan pond, but did not like the Silverado ponds... I'm tempted to go down and do the ride over the course thing that they will have until mid december.... and maybe come back for a clinic...

Quote Originally Posted by nhhaflngr View Post
    I really like how careful your horse is about where he puts his feet. Kudos to you for letting her have the time to look at the new stuff! Great first time! Is that entire business made in an indoor setting? I'm not sure my horse has ever seen a waterfall up close....yours didn't give it a second thought. Fun, fun.

--nhhaflngr. (It's snowing in NH today)
    Yes, all indoors! Out of the weather! (which we are havinf now....cold blowing rain, but no snow.....yet...)

The waterfall wasn't as scary as you would think....

Wow, that looks like a lot of fun! Are these getting more popular because more people are trail riding?

Your mare did great! Considering she's never shown before. She didn't look nervous at all. Is she gaited? Very pretty girl.

As another East Coaster, I've never seen anything like that around here.

But it would be neat to have your own indoor and convert it into a course like that to ride in the winter months....

At 3:10 on the video, there is a big hole in the ground. Was that just to let them look down and see their reaction?

Again, looks like you had a lot of fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Huntertwo View Post
    Wow, that looks like a lot of fun! Are these getting more popular because more people are trail riding?

Your mare did great! Considering she's never shown before. She didn't look nervous at all. Is she gaited? Very pretty girl.

As another East Coaster, I've never seen anything like that around here.

But it would be neat to have your own indoor and convert it into a course like that to ride in the winter months....

At 3:10 on the video, there is a big hole in the ground. Was that just to let them look down and see their reaction?

Again, looks like you had a lot of fun!
    She is gaited, she is a TWH (although nobody ever guesses that).

They are starting to build these all over now. Lynn Palm has on in FL, there is one in MO. The guy I was working with just built one in Germany!

The object of the big hole in the ground is to step in and out. it is pretty deep..... She did fine on the first day when we went the long direction. that was no problem.... Then they added water and had us go the short direction... She didn't like that and if anything was going to jump...I didn't feel like jumping so I just showed it to her, then went around...call me chicken! Funny, if we came cantering up to it I would jump no problem, but I don't like the lurching jump from a standstill in a western saddle..... plus, to get ready for the drop in, you have to be sitting way back so if you are sitting way back for the drop in and then they jump, you aren't in balance.... I figured we'd just skip it....

How deep was the hole??? It didn't appear to be big (wide) enough for a horse to step down into and then out??? Wow! Yes, I would have passed on that one too...lol

Quote Originally Posted by Huntertwo View Post
    How deep was the hole??? It didn't appear to be big (wide) enough for a horse to step down into and then out??? Wow! Yes, I would have passed on that one too...lol
    About 2 feet deep I'd guess.... And yes, very narrow, hard to step down in and out...they kind of had to get their four feet all together in the box.... was much easier the long direction!

The courses ARE harder than riding outside. A lot of people have gotten humbled by thinking that just because their horse is a great mountain horse, these courses will be a piece of cake. The horses definitely see everything different when it's inside a building and they're basically going around in a big circle and they can see everything, yet not really see a great reason for doing what they're doing.

I doubt that we met because I didn't show this fall. I was off helping a friend haul her horse to the AA QH Congress in Ohio for two weeks in October, so missed the fall clinic and two weeks of riding. The shows are expensive enough that I don't like to go unless I feel really prepared. I was down there a bit to watch and visit with friends. I was glad to see so many new faces showing!

If you come back to ride the course while it's still up, get in touch with Mitch and JoLinn Hoover. They're training out of OHC right now and they are both a great help with the mountain trail obstacles. If you're going to haul all the way to Eugene, you might as well make it really worth your while. :-)

A lot of people have gotten humbled by thinking that just because their horse is a great mountain horse, these courses will be a piece of cake.
    Please note that the above statement is not directed at you. It's a general observation from watching a lot of the shows, talking to a lot of people, and participating myself. Getting it all done, and getting it done right with style and flow is a lot harder than it looks (like all disciplines). :-)

Please note that the above statement is not directed at you. It's a general observation from watching a lot of the shows, talking to a lot of people, and participating myself. Getting it all done, and getting it done right with style and flow is a lot harder than it looks (like all disciplines). :-)
    No worries, I made the same observation above..... It IS harder than mountain trails, and we've done some hairy trails.....

I talked down a hysterical rider during the show. She said she just bought her horse and "He was supposed to be a good trail horse". I explained to her that this was much more than that... She said nobody told her that..... poor kid, she was trying hard and had a decent kind horse, but no guidance at all....

again, not to say mountain trails are not tough, they are... But there is so much more going on here.....

We actually did some preparation for this with a trainer who does quite well in the discipline. Still have a way to go.....

I'm pretty sure I know which trainer you've worked with. He has an amazing horse and a knack for marketing himself. Watch closely when he works with other horses though. That's where the truth of his abilities lie.