The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What Horses Can Do for Children in Need

Look at the their faces starting at about 2:50 into the video - horses are indeed a gift. And I love the way the video ends - two horses saying "We did it again!"

http://vimeo.com/30749557
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Nice.
    Approved helmet: Every time; every ride.
    "When a sport gets to be predictable it ceases to be fun." - RAR's wise brother

Risk-Averse, I can't reply to your PM because your mail box is full. You need to clear it to get messages.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

That was awesome.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Thanks, Mike!

What a gorgeous facility for those kids to ride at.

And call it anthropomorphizing, but I spent a Summer volunteering with a NAHRA group and those horses definitely treated the students differently than the volunteers.

One little mare would take every opportunity to nip the sidewalkers, but if a little girl with MS grabbed her face for a hug she stood like a rock.

And as cranky as they were about being tacked up, every single one stood stockstill for the riders to get aboard, even when that meant some kid had to be lifted to lay prone on a sheepskin.
    Involuntary kicks and grabs were tolerated by horses who let us able-bodied helpers know they felt otherwise when we worked with them.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

That gave me happy tears. Thanks for sharing - I've shared the link on Facebook.

The opening scene of a father helping his disabled daughter to walk broke my heart.

There, but for the grace of God, go I.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Matson View Post
    Risk-Averse, I can't reply to your PM because your mail box is full. You need to clear it to get messages.
    I just did ;-)

Sorry about that.

And as for the comments about the horses, and how they treat the riders with disabilities, you know it! I don't know HOW they know, but they know.

Any hints for down loading / playing it? Is it a video clip or a series of stills? I just can't get it to play properly.

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post

One little mare would take every opportunity to nip the sidewalkers, but if a little girl with MS grabbed her face for a hug she stood like a rock.

And as cranky as they were about being tacked up, every single one stood stockstill for the riders to get aboard, even when that meant some kid had to be lifted to lay prone on a sheepskin.
    Involuntary kicks and grabs were tolerated by horses who let us able-bodied helpers know they felt otherwise when we worked with them.
    I looked closely at the horses, none swished a tail or moved an ear as they took care of their charges... saints they are

Default beautiful!

loved every minute of that video, and so, i must post one from a place that is very special to me.

watch all the way to the end, and if you don't shed a tear, i'm inclined to believe you have no soul...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=breYFhD0-IA

this is told through the perspective of tony, one of our therapy horses...get your tissues ready!
    Last edited by eventerdiva; Oct. 29, 2011 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Damn you auto correct!

Quote Originally Posted by eventerdiva View Post
    loved every minute of that video, and so, i must post one from a place that is very special to me.

watch all the way to the end, and if you don't shed a tear, i'm inclined to believe you have no soul...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=breYFhD0-IA

this is told through the perspective of tony, one of our therapy horses...get your tissues ready!
    I am all verklempt. That is so true.