The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default young TB stallions for eventing bloodlines

Sorry the title is rather vague. Couldn't think of a better way to word.

With the influx of a new crop of TB stallions every year, what are we seeing as being good influences for sporthorses, and what have you seen as to what to avoid? I am talking Afleet Alex (there is an AA baby on CANTER right now, which made me think of this topic), Smarty Jones, Charismatic, Rock Hard Ten, Point Given etc. I realize these horses are more or less newer to the breeding scene so we may not have had a chance to really be able to tell yet, but a couple of them have been around for awhile.

Anyone care to chime in?
    "Lord if we should fall, my horse and I, please pick my horse up first."

www.thestartbox.wordpress.com
    www.useaiv.org

Well, I will give Smarty Jones a BIG thumbs-up based on my 4yo SJ/Seattle Slew colt!

Lovely gaits, fabulous clever scopey jumper, effortless gallop (AND rateable), great disposition. Super trainable with a fabulous work ethic. Won his first Novice last month with a 30 and made his dressage debut winning F1 by 3 pts. Honest and forgiving, too! First foal hit the ground in June, a real looker with a pocket-pony personality out of a G3 ISH mare.

We have an Northern Afleet (sire of Afleet Alex) mare right now who is awesome. Oozing with talent and about as trainable as they come. If her young rider can keep up with her, she's a definite UL prospect. I'd look at another in a heartbeat. 5 years old and she'll stand tied to a stock trailer all day, then tear up the xc. Nice mover, too.

I'm loving this mare of mine...fab mind and looks like she is going to have a great jump.

We are seeing more of her sire's off spring in sport as he stands in MD. I believe he only started standing for stud in 2004.

But honestly, I suspect what I love about her is coming from her old school dam

http://www.pedigreequery.com/rockstina

ETA: Her sire (Rock Slide) is by AP Indy, and I'm hearing from several sources about nice athletes from this source. I like the dam line of Rock Slide as well too. A lot are staying in the racing world though....
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Oct. 30, 2011 at 04:27 PM.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Wow super love your mare's dam...hope you plan a broodie career for her someday.

Quote Originally Posted by omare View Post
    Wow super love your mare's dam...hope you plan a broodie career for her someday.

Thanks...it is a possibility....she was bought as a sale horse but is looking more and more like a keeper
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

I've heard good things about this WV stallion for an UL eventer.
    http://www.pedigreequery.com/ten+star+fleet

Back in the engine room (4th, 5th and 6th generations) he has some linebreeding to lines that have produced good movers.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire