The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Sadness, uncertainty - help me wait

The past three weeks have been a bit of a rollercoaster so I'm here to get some support, advice, similar stories.

Three weeks ago my lovely tb was diagnosed with a corneal ulcer. Four days later, I discovered that he was being fed about half as much as he was supposed to be getting and also wasn't being ridden (both of which I was paying for). So I found him somewhere else to live with a brilliant coach and for the past fortnight we have been focusing on putting my boy back together. This has included the vet and the farrier. He's coming good now, with fewer ribs on display and a grass belly, his eye is ok and today my coach hopped on for a quick assessment.

He's quiet but stiff through the the right and resisted strenuously attempts to have him bend. He has seen a chiro regularly and the saddle fit fine. He has seen a dentist recently. Long and short she just isn't sure. I had hoped and bought him as a low level eventer and dressage pony. She feels that he needs a lot of support, which may be lack of work, but his resistance and f off attitude is concerning.

So now I need to wait. He's in boot camp for a week with her to assess. If she is unsure, or thinks he should be sold, I will need to do this. He would make a lovely trail horse or nice for someone who wants a nice horse to ride non-competitively. He is quiet but has a spook, and has lovely paces. He's very very sweet.

I'm attached, devastated and exhausted. I can't afford to keep a horse who can't do what I want. It's been a long few weeks and I'm facing more uncertainty. I already feel like the worlds worst horse owner. So, help? Advice? Anything?
    Riding: the gentle art of keeping the horse between yourself and the ground.

Invest in a week's worth of gastrogard and see what happens. There is a good chance you will have a brand new horse on your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    Invest in a week's worth of gastrogard and see what happens. There is a good chance you will have a brand new horse on your hands.
    ~this~

Agreed - try him for 5 days, and if he has ulcers, you'll see the change right away. (and then you just have to figure out how to sell your soul to afford the next 23 days !!)

Try Chia seeds before gastrogard... I thought it was total cow poop when I tried it, but seriously, it worked on my boy's ulcers and all the omega 3's helped him gain weight quickly. Plus, they're waaaay cheaper.
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerJumper View Post
    Try Chia seeds before gastrogard... I thought it was total cow poop when I tried it, but seriously, it worked on my boy's ulcers and all the omega 3's helped him gain weight quickly. Plus, they're waaaay cheaper.
    But if it doesn't work is that because he didn't have ulcers or because it didn't work? Always use the proven treatment as a test if you are not going to scope then play around with alternatives once you have a definitive answer in my opinion.

But if it doesn't work is that because he didn't have ulcers or because it didn't work? Always use the proven treatment as a test if you are not going to scope then play around with alternatives once you have a definitive answer in my opinion.
    If he doesn't have ulcers, or if it's ineffective on his ulcers, then it'll just work the same way as any other source of omega 3's. I knew it had worked on horses that had ulcers because I'd heard first-hand experiences with it, so I figured it was worth a try, and if it didn't work, we'd use GG or UG.
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

Your horse spent some time at a place that was feeding him a half ration, not working him, and with a hurt eye.

He has only been in a new place and back in work for a couple of weeks.

I think you can give him a little more time to come around.

Keep in mind this new trainer is financially incentivized to tell you you need a new horse. Oh course she would be happy to help you sell yours (for a fee) and help you find a new one (also for a fee).

If he doesn't have ulcers, or if it's ineffective on his ulcers, then it'll just work the same way as any other source of omega 3's. I knew it had worked on horses that had ulcers because I'd heard first-hand experiences with it, so I figured it was worth a try, and if it didn't work, we'd use GG or UG.
    That is fine if you know the horse has ulcers. Not fine if you are attempting to diagnose ulcers by treating with a medication proven to heal ulcers and seeing if the signs and symptoms show enough improvement to reasonably assume the horse did in fact have ulcers.

That is fine if you know the horse has ulcers. Not fine if you are attempting to diagnose ulcers by treating with a medication proven to heal ulcers and seeing if the signs and symptoms show enough improvement to reasonably assume the horse did in fact have ulcers.
    It was a suggestion, I'm not saying it's going to cure cancer, the common cold, and heal every ailment a horse can possibly have.

Good luck....I know the feeling.

I have an OTTB, and he was very stiff and difficult to bend to the right ... funny, he was also ribby and had a bad eye.

Fast forward a YEAR later and he is a changed horse. Healthy, happy, sound, calm and a beautiful mover. We're going to be showing him in dressage next season.

These things take time. Did you ever get sick or injured? How quickly were you back on your feet and ready to be an athletic performer? I am always amazed at how quickly people think horses will bounce back, like they are automobiles taken into the shop and "fixed" good-as-new in an afternoon. They are not. They have living tissues that must heal and then strengthen in order to perform at a high level ... just like us.

It was a suggestion, I'm not saying it's going to cure cancer, the common cold, and heal every ailment a horse can possibly have.
    That really made me laugh out loud!! Thanks!
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

I am not trying to be argumentative. Normally that might be a great thing to try, at worst it won't hurt anything and may make the situation better but not in this case in my opinion. Obviously the OP can do whatever she chooses regardless of what any of us thing however.

Agree with treating for ulcers with Gastroguard. Not being worked or being fed enough could cause ulcers just from stress.

Also, if that doesn't work I'd test for Lyme. Not an expensive test.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    Also, if that doesn't work I'd test for Lyme. Not an expensive test.
    In Australia?

Give him time! If I had been fed half of what I should have been, and not worked with (and who knows what else) I'd be stiff, sore and have a bad attitude too. You've changed everything in his world, cut him a little slack and see what happens. GG or UG is a great suggestion. And don't jump on the 'let's sell him' bandwagon until and unless you feel that's truly the best optIon. Professionals can have their own, ulterior motives, remember.
    Different Times Equestrian Ventures at Hidden Spring Ranch
    www.DifferentTimesEquestrianVentures.com

My daughter also has a TB that is stiff to the right, and was at a place last spring where he wasn't being fed without my knowledge. Needless to say he is at a good place now and doing well. He's regained most of the weight, but like I said, is stiff to the right. Is that related to the ulcers, you think? If he has ulcers, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by enthusiasm_exceeds_ability View Post

........for the past fortnight we have been focusing on putting my boy back together. This has included the vet and the farrier. He's coming good now, with fewer ribs on display and a grass belly, his eye is ok and today my coach hopped on for a quick assessment.

He's quiet but stiff through the the right and resisted strenuously attempts to have him bend. He has seen a chiro regularly and the saddle fit fine. He has seen a dentist recently. Long and short she just isn't sure. I had hoped and bought him as a low level eventer and dressage pony. She feels that he needs a lot of support, which may be lack of work, but his resistance and f off attitude is concerning.

So now I need to wait. He's in boot camp for a week with her to assess. If she is unsure, or thinks he should be sold, I will need to .....
    Did I read this right?....After one quick assessment ride after the horse hasn't been worked for some time, you're worried that your new "trainer" will deem him unworthy of some time and effort to rehab him?.....Hmmmm....

I agree with other posters here. He seems to have had a rough time of things and a little TLC could go a long way with his attitude.....FWIW, "strenuous attempts" to have him bend would give any horse an eff off attitude....

JMHO
    Crayola Posse: Mulberry

I also agree to give the poor guy some time! He still doesn't sound like he has his full weight back, and hasn't been in really consistent work. Would you be as flexible and strong as you are when you've been consistently working out, or have a good attitude about being asked to do something that is hard/painful?

I'm also curious what exactly his reaction was to being asked to bend on that side. Did he buck/rear or get aggressive? Or was he just really stiff and unyielding through his side/jaw?