The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Alternatives to Smartgut

Are there any less expensive alternatives to Smartgut that provide the same benefit?
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

Wow. I thought of SmartGut as being the low cost alternative.... I fed it for a couple years and considered it a great value.
    Y'all ain't right!

I'm not sure there is any proven benefit to SmartGut, so one could argue that 'nothing' is a suitable alternative.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieSlave View Post
    Wow. I thought of SmartGut as being the low cost alternative.... I fed it for a couple years and considered it a great value.
    Guess I'm just cheap, but, the low cost alternative to what? If I'm correct it is not an alternative to ulcer meds if that's what you're comparing it to. My understanding is it is just something good for their digestive system to keep everything happy down there.
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

I put my boy on Smartgut after treating the ulcers. I was told to put him on Succeed but it is way to expensive....

He has been doing great on it!!

One of the things that I'm really grateful to CoTH for is that my eyes have been opened to reading labels. Especially members like DeltaWave and JB who really clearly see how incredibly fluffed up most marketing is.

I once considered SmartGut after my horse had responded favorably to an ulcer treatment. I was so excited about having a new horse, I wanted to keep the tummy 'happy', but I wasn't sure if SG was hocus pocus or not. $1.36 per day is a lot to spend on a supplement, at least for me.

I read the ingredients, read all about each ingredient, and settled on buying a bag of slippery elm powder and changing my horse's feed from a daily beet pulp mash to a daily alfalfa cube mash. I only give slippery elm when my horse goes through something stressful, like colic from spring shots, or being given bute, or on stall rest, etc. Mostly it makes me feel better, but the ulcery symptoms of our past have never reared their ugly heads again, so something about our system is working well.

Smart Gut's product label is
    Declared Ingredients
    Ingredient Per Serving Per Pound
    Active Ingredients per 60 g:
    L-Glutamine 5,000 mg
    Calcium Carbonate 4,500 mg
    Magnesium Carbonate 3,000 mg
    Hydrolyzed Collagen 2,700 mg
    Magnesium Silicate 1,700 mg
    Deglycyrrized Licorice 1,500 mg
    Mannanoligosaccharides 1,300 mg
    Glycine 875 mg
    Gamma Oryzanol 300 mg
    Slippery Elm 300 mg
    Marshmallow Root 250 mg
    Orthosilic Acid (Silica) 35 mg
    Lactobacillus Acidophilus 750 million CFU

Other Ingredients

Inactive Ingredients: Alfalfa Meal, Corn Distillers Dried Grains with Solubles, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extract, Fenugreek Seed, Grape Pomace (Ground Grape Seed and Skin), Lignin Sulfonate, Sodium Copper Chlorophyll, Propionic Acid, Vegetable Oil (cold pressed).

Read the ingredients, read about the ingredients, educate yourself so you don't feel like you're just blindly feeding your horse 'stuff'. I did that for years, I won't ever do it again. Knowledge is power.
    Just because you’re afraid, doesn’t mean you’re in danger. Just because you feel alone, doesn’t mean nobody loves you. Just because you think you might fail, doesn’t mean you will.

1 members found this post helpful.

I switched to U-Gard (Kaolin, Calcium Carbonate, Magnesium Hydroxide Glycine, Diatomaceous Earth, Zinc Oxide, Methylcellulose, Silicon Dioxide, Dried Apple Pectin Pulp, Aloe Vera Gel, Sodium Propionate (a preservative), Iron Oxide, Natural and Artificial Flavors) and Ultra-Elite Digest. I cut the doses in half this month and I'm going to cut out the probiotics (Ultra-Elite Digest) completely.

The U-Gard is basically just Tums (calcium carbonate) with added kaolin, apple pectin, and aloe vera -- ingredients that some say are good for stomach health, but who knows. It would probably be just as easy to add a handful of Tums to his feed.

I'm willing to bet that most supplements don't do much of anything, but a lot of people (like myself) are afraid to stop them.

TUMS make great, inexpensive horse treats.
    Click here before you buy.

I feed U-Gard, Smart Calm Ultra, Smart Digest Ultra, and an extra 5,000 mg. magnesium to my ulcer horse. This program seems to be working really really well for her. Even the loose cow flop poop is completely gone now. We did do Smart Gut for awhile but I didn't really see any improvement in anything. I add additional oat flour if I think she needs it. I took her off the preventive omeprazole because I "think" it was contributing to a low magnesium level. No proof on that - just my hunch based on her behavior beginning to deteriorate. But with the products listed she's doing awesome. For how long - who knows. But at least for now that's what is working.

I used Smartgut and didn't notice any difference. My vet agreed with use of Calf-manna to get some calicium carbonate in the diet- this was in place of any other concentrates during hunting season. If I think the horse is having an ulcer flareup I go straight to ulcergard.

What does oat flour do? I've never heard of feeding oat flour.

The product I had the best luck with is TractGuard. It's really inexpensive, and is basically just tums, yeast and electrolytes. Interestingly enough those are the only ingredients that are really proven to do anything for horse's digestion.

The nutritionist also said one of the best things you can do to prevent/minimize ulcers is to not ride your horse on an empty stomach.

I make my own supplement and buy herbs from http://www.herbalcom.com

I mix a pound of slippery elm bark powder, a pound of marshmallow root powder, a pound of fenugreek seed powder and feed a heaping ounce scoop of it in an alfalfa pellet mash (just one cup of pellets, lots of hot water) after riding at night. It is fairly inexpensive. I also give her daily Forco (probiotic) and she gets Ulcergard at horse shows.

Every once in a while, I'll also do a week of psyllium. The psyllium will form a gel in the hindgut and clean out excess acid and make a healing environment.

So far so good. She got ulcers once when she needed a course of bute for a bone bruise. They get them so easy.