The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Winter doldrum tips:)

OK, I know it isn't winter yet and it is still 80F outside today but....I am already getting anxiety that winter is coming. I HATE short daylight days and add in cold weather...brrrrr, ugh!

Last year I was given a great alarm clock that slowly lights up about 30 minutes before the alarm and that has been wonderful. I also changed my work schedule that two week days I don't go in to work until 9:30am so I can ride in the mornings. When I get home, even if it is early around 6pm, in the winter I just want to go inside. No motivation at all.

I used to live in Loxahatchee and although Nov-Mar was wonderful I hated the rest of the year. So moving back to Fl is a no go! One day when I am rich and retired (a gal can dream can't she?) I will do the snowbird thing, but until then I need some ideas that make winter tolerable.

Any ideas from the Midwesterners and Canadians? Oh, and I know I shouldn't complain as I live in NC and our winters are relatively mild but we do get snow/ ice, I do have to chop ice off the water troughs and it does get in to the 20s/ teens here at night.

Quote Originally Posted by bluehof View Post
    OK, I know it isn't winter yet and it is still 80F outside today but....I am already getting anxiety that winter is coming. I HATE short daylight days and add in cold weather...brrrrr, ugh!

Last year I was given a great alarm clock that slowly lights up about 30 minutes before the alarm and that has been wonderful. I also changed my work schedule that two week days I don't go in to work until 9:30am so I can ride in the mornings. When I get home, even if it is early around 6pm, in the winter I just want to go inside. No motivation at all.

I used to live in Loxahatchee and although Nov-Mar was wonderful I hated the rest of the year. So moving back to Fl is a no go! One day when I am rich and retired (a gal can dream can't she?) I will do the snowbird thing, but until then I need some ideas that make winter tolerable.

Any ideas from the Midwesterners and Canadians? Oh, and I know I shouldn't complain as I live in NC and our winters are relatively mild but we do get snow/ ice, I do have to chop ice off the water troughs and it does get in to the 20s/ teens here at night.
    I feel ya'.
    My plans for just being able to ride this year have been completely destroyed. A lot of elder care issues through out the year, DH and I are "still" working with a kid who keeps bouncing back to us. This week my elderly Mother fell and had a partial hip replacement, the ball side of the joint. So more elder care continues. At least we are able to do what do. Now just need some time to ride. . .

Take heart, the winter soltice is not far way. Then the days get longer.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

No advice, but plenty of sympathy. The darkness really does bring on the blues, doesn't it? There's no indoor where I board, and no lights in the outdoor, so once the time changes in October, I'll only be riding on weekends until April
    I do try to save some of my vacation time for fall and winter so I can take a day, or even a half day, here or there when we have good winter weather & I can squeeze in a ride. But mostly I just try to look forward to the womens' college basketball season, which pretty much carries me through until spring when I can ride again!

I'm dreading winter because of the weather, not so much the early darkness -- I have 10 horses on the farm and caring for them in a sleeting gale, or blizzard just isn't fun.

No advice; I am planning on just ticking the days off starting January 1, knowing that I have to get through until mid-March, unless we have an unseasonably mild winter. So 70 days and counting!

I hope someone else chimes in with better advice!

Get trough heaters and that ugly chore will be history. That will cheer you up.

Every year I say I'm going to take up skiing so there's something to be happy about when the snow comes, but I just can't bring myself to do it. With my luck I'd break a leg and then my riding plans would really be messed up.

After the holidays it gets pretty depressing here, but that's when I start to really concentrate in my fitness. I do pilates and yoga and play on the Wii...anything to still feel active. Not to mention shoveling all that snow.

My trainer has a lovely and huge indoor, but my horses are home and I have to haul to her place if I want to ride in the winter. With snow that can be tricky.

There's usually an informal "I Hate Winter" support group on COTH, and it helps to read that others are as miserable as I am come January and February!

Buy heated buckets, and start taking your Vitamin D now.
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry