The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default trainer recommendations - Northern NJ for OTTB

Hey all, I rescued an OTTB last year from the feed lot and have been steadily bringing him along (trainerless ) I am hoping to be able to ship in for some lessons this coming year and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of a trainer in the NY / NJ / PA area who is good with OTTBs (particularly with tough ones). It DOES NOT need to be a big name trainer...just a good trainer.

Any recommendations would be appreciated - PM me if you would rather...

Thanks!

bump? got a couple of PMs...anyone else?

Maybe call Danny Lutz at Stratford Stables in Purchase, NY? I don't know whether he takes haul in's but he is lovely to work with.

I know most of his business now is WB's but he got his start back in the day on TB's, so definitely has the experience, though not sure about his availability these days.

Thanks! I'll look into him!

How far into NY do you want to travel? Debbie Haimowitz is wonderful with OTTBs.
    She is Goshen/ Chester NY....
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

Laura Chapot (Neshanic Station, NJ) works with a lot of OTTBs for herself and for her clients. PM me if you want more info. Good luck!

Carla Sacco in Mahopac, NY at Zephyr Farm has a lot of OTTBS. She is great!

I second Debbie Haimowitz! I rode with her 13/14 years ago and not only did she help my horses go better, she made my eq and my riding in general much better. I definitely got stronger while taking lessons with her!

A good trainer overall in that area would be:
    Stacia Madden- NJ
    Andre Dignelli- NY
    Missy Clark- VT
    Missy isn't in the area you specified but she is an awesome trainer.

I know I mentioned all the big names, and their all mainly know for the training of Big Eq riders. All of them though are fabulous trainers overall. It would be very worth your money to ride with them!

skittlespony..thanks but there is no way (1) i could afford any of those trainers and (2) they would fit my bill. While they are all fabulous trainers, they are not at all what I am looking for. and btw, it's THEY ARE or THEY'RE...not their. I've lived in the area my whole life and know who all the big names are...I've show against their students...I'm really looking for someone who is good with tough horses (that don't necessarily ever have to horse show)

Moonlady and Ivy: thanks...do you have any more information on her (pm me if you like!)

Vicki Peters of Quiet Victory Farms is wonderful...she's very knowledgable and has alot of experience working w/ ottb's

She is located in Titusville,NJ

http://www.quietvictoryfarm.com/index.html

Concetta - thanks for the referral. I have never been a "ship in" before and honestly haven't yet lessoned with my greenie..it's HARD to pick a trainer...AHHH!

Quote Originally Posted by myalter1 View Post
    Concetta - thanks for the referral. I have never been a "ship in" before and honestly haven't yet lessoned with my greenie..it's HARD to pick a trainer...AHHH!
    Vicki accepts ship ins...i rode w/ her for a few years...and occassionally ship in to her every once in a while...she's great and definitely worth checking out

and btw, it's THEY ARE or THEY'RE...not their.
    Glad to know I am not the only one that notices this, it drives me crazy.

ooh BAC it drives me CRAZY...I am ALWAYS cringing at mistakes like that...especially because it is my opinion that if you are in high school or older, you'd better know the difference. If you don't, you probably shouldn't get (or have) a high school diploma...

ooh BAC it drives me CRAZY...I am ALWAYS cringing at mistakes like that...especially because it is my opinion that if you are in high school or older, you'd better know the difference. If you don't, you probably shouldn't get (or have) a high school diploma...
    What is really sad is that most of these people don't even seem to realize their mistake or even know the difference between their and there, etc.

Default trainer

devin ryan, long valley new jersey.

I whole heartily suggest Barbara Feigus. She is wonderful with TB's . The only draw back would be location she is in Farmingdale NJ. Northern NJ I love Karen Marsh .

I can really recommend Heidi Bauersachs Trstensky in Frenchtown, NJ. She gladly accepts ship-ins and does a great job. She somehow manages to get just about every horse to be relaxed and balanced, and she's extremely patient.
    Why do I like most horses better than most people?

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    What is really sad is that most of these people don't even seem to realize their mistake or even know the difference between their and there, etc.
    THIS!!!

Thanks everyone...at least now i have a starting place. It's been YEARS since i have had to search for a trainer. let alone one that I will be shipping to. I am not sure I am up to the challenge. LOL
    It's hard. I don't really know where to start, so this seemed a good idea...