The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default persuasive speech

So, in my AP english class we are assigned to present a 3-5 minute persuasive speech. We are allowed to include a powerpoint, visual, video, etc. to accompany our speech.
    I'm thinking I want to do something with horses...
    -why eventing is a sport?
    -horse racing
    -horse slaughter

Any suggestions, ideas, what would be effective, what would be too hard?

Many thanks!!

Why horses, not dogs, are man's best friend?
    or
    Why dogs, not horses, are man's best friend (lol)
    or

How horses are responsible for much of our modern culture? (you'd have to persuade people that much of a vernacular speach comes from an equine-centric time, how modern society got its start thanks to the backs' of horses, etc. etc.)
    or

Risk is less acceptable now than it was in earlier decades-using eventing as an example (70s eventing vs modern eventing) and why that is a negative (or positive, depending on your view point) thing.
    or

Why racetracks might bring needed revenue to the local economy...or...why racetracks and other forms of gambling should be boycotted in the area

I can come up with more!

My vote is something that will interest your classmates and/or professor, that you can speak easily and passionately about for that time period, and you understand VERY well so that you can efficiently present your ideas and speak persuasively on the subject!
    "A map says to you,'Read me carefully, follow me closely, doubt me not...I am the earth in the palm of your hand'." -West of the Night

I'd try to make it a topic that you think the class can empathize with. A receptive audience makes it so much easier to give a speech.

The easiest would be horse slaughter. Most people don't have an opinion about it and you can easily present a moving speech. You can include videos since there are tons of them out there and they are all heartwrenching.

I did my persuasive speech in a college speech class on why it's important to where a seat belt...I got an A. Could you do the importance of riding with a helmet?

Okay so I'm pretty sure I've decided on rescueing retired racehorses. I'd start off with what the abuse many horses go through after their career as a racehorse has ended and then go into what they can become once rescued. (eventing, dressage, etc)

Why eventing is a sport? Too defensive. Of course it is a sport! Only an ignoramus would not see it otherwise.

Three minutes is not long enough to tackle monster topics like slaughter, IMO. Keep it light, make it something that is thought-provoking, that people may not have thought about before. I like the "why horses are man's best friend" topic a lot--everyone "sort of" knows on some level that horses were once really important to human progress, but pointing out where we'd be without them could be a great angle for a speech.

If you're going to do retired racehorses, I would frame it, again, in a thought-provoking way: "Did you know that most racehorses are finished with their careers at an age where most other horses are just starting theirs? What do you think happens to racehorses when they can't race any more?"
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by maggie32 View Post
    Okay so I'm pretty sure I've decided on rescueing retired racehorses. I'd start off with what the abuse many horses go through after their career as a racehorse has ended and then go into what they can become once rescued. (eventing, dressage, etc)
    Well, that will be a perfect story to research.

See the thread on the OTTB "Christmas Away". Here is a comment about the Alex / Barbaro website / trainwreck:

Quote Originally Posted by tradewind View Post
    I think they are implying that alot of people who frequent that board are a bunch of wackjobs who got taken complete advantage of by scammers..Got on their high horse calling trainers, owners, tracks etc acting like a bunch of lunatics and actually made the situation worse for alot of legitimate rescues. The board was not well moderated and things more than once things got completely out of control. That board was not alone in leaping before they looked, the end result being many trainers, dealers etc that rescues used to deal with to help get the horses off the track and into good homes, or out of kill pens will no longer deal with anyone who uses the word rescue...they got burned and so now the horses move around underground with no safety net at all. The road to hell is paved with good intentions and the result of the frenzy that board and others stirred up is that horses suffer more, have longer rides to slaughter and many other unpleasantries.
    "Rescue" is a loaded term. Lots of show horses get "abused" with overwork and stress from jumping, etc. If they are "tossed" aside, do they get "rescued" by new owners (if they are lucky)? Are there groups forming to "rescue" such horses? Should there be?

Pick your discipline and you will find abuse of horses. You get to decide if you create a presentation focused on problems or solutions.
    Last edited by Justa Bob; Sep. 28, 2011 at 01:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    If you're going to do retired racehorses, I would frame it, again, in a thought-provoking way: "Did you know that most racehorses are finished with their careers at an age where most other horses are just starting theirs? What do you think happens to racehorses when they can't race any more?"
    I agree with this. I would not focus on the abuse of ex-racehorses and/or how terrible their lives are on the track. People seem to be more inspired by positive stories and solutions than depressing information. Instead, I would talk about how much they still have to offer after racing. Talk about horses like Neville Bardos, Courageous Comet, etc. who have made it to the big time. You can also talk about ammies who love their OTTBs as well.

ETA: Justa Bob is right on point.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" Immanuel Kant

I would use statistics where you can find them to make your speech persuasive. Clearly all OTTBs do not go on to terrible lives or need to be rescued after their racing careers end.

As others have said, I would focus my 3 minutes on getting people to support some of the solutions out there and not get into the nitty gritty of the problem.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

That's not necessarily true, though. Many horses have good trainers/owners who actually care about them after retirement and place them through organizations like CANTER, etc. Just because it's an OTTB, doesn't mean it's a rescue or that it was abused or horrible neglected.
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

I know, I think I still need to address and explain what some horses go through after their career in order to support my argument that they can be reused instead neglected. Thanks for all of the suggestions!

I know, I think I still need to address and explain what some horses go through after their career in order to support my argument that they can be reused instead neglected. Thanks for all of the suggestions!

Actuallyto me, I would also not focus on resuce or abuse...but instead focus on how young many of them are racing. That the horse doesn't mature until they are 6-8....and can live into their 30s. That most race horses start racing at age 2/3 and are done by the time they are 5. They are raced so young NOT because they are faster as youngsters but because of economics. That many post racing go on to have long and successful careers but do take a skilled rider to initially re-train them for a different career.

Honestly though....I would be surprised if many in your class can/will relate to the topic. 3-5 minutes is a VERY short time. And what would you be persuading your audience to do?
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

I know this has NOTHING to do with horses but it is what I did my speech on...

Why you should eat a healthy breakfast.

There is alot of information and studies behind why you should eat within 30min. of waking up and what foods you should eat, PLUS EVERYONE can relate.

I also brought banana's for everyone to eat when I was done to go along with my healthy breakfast theme(since it was an early morning class). A few brownie points never hurt!

Quote Originally Posted by I_Heart_Eventing View Post
    I know this has NOTHING to do with horses but it is what I did my speech on...

Why you should eat a healthy breakfast.

There is alot of information and studies behind why you should eat within 30min. of waking up and what foods you should eat, PLUS EVERYONE can relate.

I also brought banana's for everyone to eat when I was done to go along with my healthy breakfast theme(since it was an early morning class). A few brownie points never hurt!

That is a great topic. You can start with describing a rough morning....slapping the snooze and dragging yourself to class. Then get right into science as why people feel that way and how eating a healthy breakfast can help. Define healthy...and end with a challenge for people to give it a try and pass out the bananas.

If it is an afternoon class...expand the topic to healthy meals (not skipping a meal).

Getting enough sleep is another one.....

A very important aspect of giving a persuasive speach is knowing your audience. A horsey topic is great for an audience fully of horsey people....but not so great for the average AP English class!
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

The way you have presented it sounds more "informative" than "persuasive". What is it that you are persuading them to DO?
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

do the speech on helmets and safety.
    and 2nd impact syndrome.

this is a good one because it can be useful to EVERYONE (bike, motorcycle, horse, skateboard, WATER SKIING!) and it's amazing how many people DO NOT know or understand the significance of 2nd impact syndrome and TBIs.

+ usually if your speech is covering something that people understand and can relate to you'll get a better grade.

just for future if you have to do an after dinner speech, (I loved this class) I did my After Dinner Speech on spontaneous combustion.

I think I used:
    cows and how they are the gassiest creatures on earth and how they should spontaneously blow up.

a dude who drinks so much he passes out and then drops his cig on his leg.

a dude trying to light his own farts...

It was the most enjoyed speech of the semester. The instructor laughed his b@lls off the entire time.

and I don't remember what else. It was a decade ago.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

If you do second careers for race horses, be sure and mention the new JC program Thoroughbred Connect. There's a new post on the Racing forum with a URL and an update on improvements that the JC is making.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Okay so if my topic if is we should use horses for a second career instead of throwing into pasture for neglect or sent to a slaughter house over seas, thats not peruasive enough? Ive kind of already started but I'm trying to make it work. I'm just not sure if my audience has to be able to relate in order to persuade them. I'll ask my teacher about that tomorrow.

Just a thought. . . why not show one is not limited to one's first job or first choice of college major.
    As example there are retired OTTB's who have excelled in other disciplines. Don't forget Hilda Gurney (HS? teacher) and Keen, who was 'entirely too tall for short Hilda.

If a 'dumb horse' can learn an entirely new life and work, why can't 'intelligent' college students?
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Okay so if my topic if is we should use horses for a second career instead of throwing into pasture for neglect or sent to a slaughter house over seas, thats not peruasive enough? Ive kind of already started but I'm trying to make it work. I'm just not sure if my audience has to be able to relate in order to persuade them. I'll ask my teacher about that tomorrow.
    That is closer, but you still don't say what you are persuading them to DO-
    Adopt a OTTB?
    Donate to CANTER?
    Write to their congressman?
    Boycott the racetracks?
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).