The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 112 of 355 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114122162212 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,240 of 7100

Pancakes, there's a thread in the Off-Course forum you may want to contribute to; I forget what it's called, but it has "snooping" in the title. The OP is wondering how much research on a for-sale horse is acceptable. I didn't want to speak for you, but I thought you might have something to say on the topic.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

1 members found this post helpful.

Welcome, ClassyRide! Very interesting post.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Pancakes, I can only imagine how devastated you must be. You'll know when you're ready to try again...

Anyway... the Golden Morgan has laminitis in her right front hoof. It was a very atypical presentation (not to mention that she is a very stoic horse) and I was lucky to have the vet and the (new awesome) farrier at the barn at the same time, because it really took both of them to figure out what was going on. She does have some rotation, which is not good, and there may still be other things going on, but for now we are being optimistic. She has a good trim (at last), new shoes, padding in her frogs, and a treatment regimen. I won't be riding her for a while, but have a one day per week lease on one of my BO's nice schoolies.

This was at least partially induced by bad farriery practice. As with Pancakes... I am bit disgusted that people in the horse business will take your money and do you wrong.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Sorry to hear that quietann. Here's to same good farrier and vet work and a good prognosis!
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Wow everyone, thank you for the support. Today it's a little easier. I went to the barn and gave him a few cookies and a quick pat and a "thank you" for the times we had. He was happily munching some hay and didn't seem like he felt one way or the other about seeing me. He seemed happy. He will go back tomorrow morning. I'll always think about him but I know that he'll be okay in the end. My trainer has been wonderful too and is going to help me keep looking, though we're going to be somewhat picky (which we really can't afford to do with my budget, but that's neither here nor there).

It is really inspiring to hear everyone's stories about how their current "right" one came along by happenstance, and I thank you all for sharing them. Maybe this will be the case for me? I feel like everyone keeps saying that about men in my life and now horses, so I guess I just have to keep waiting. Tarheel, Dewey, PH, Paradox...thank you for your comfort and making me feel like it's okay to be upset over this. I'll get through it.

StolenVirtue, I can't imagine how terrible that must have been for you to lose your lease horse. Traumatizing, and certainly that break must have been the only thing that made sense at the time. Of course we go back to it, but that must have been a very difficult time for you.

Classyrider, I'm really touched that my story brought you here to this thread. Your story is really heartbreaking as well...to be so close, then to have to give it away. The buildup is so magical and brings you back to that special place in your childhood...but the letdown is really indescribable and I KNOW how you must have felt. Is your ankle better now? I'm glad you were eventually able to find the right one. We welcome you with open arms to this thread as we all are in very similar situations, going through bucking, jumping, lead changes, and various other mental and physical challenges that come with being an adult re-rider.

Quietann, I hope your horse recuperates quickly...such a shame about shady people in this business. It's unnecessary, really, and in the end the horse suffers.

Thank you again everyone. I'll check in as much as possible and let you know how it's going with the search and Paisley. ****HUGS**** to everyone. This hurts but the horse is alive and no worse physically then he was before, and I'm getting my money back, so really I have that to be thankful for.

Pancakes - so much good advice above. Hard to top it.
    But I can identify when you've lost your heart, and then have to walk away. And how could you not looking at that face?!?

But I truly think you will find another wonderful one - there are so many! And after some time together, it will lessen the sting, and you'll be just about good as new.

You did such a wonderful thing - for both you and the horse - by searching his history. Would guess you've imagined the outcome if you hadn't.

Hope your cure is just around the corner.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

This post is about my evil, evil trainer.

At the end of the year banquet for our local show association last year, I won a gift certificate toward show fees, etc. Due to mostly my mental issues with riding this year, I have not used it and the last show of the year is tomorrow.

On Tuesday, when I was out soaking Finn's feet, I got a text from said trainer asking if I wanted to show, or did I want her to show Finn. I opted for having her show him.

Today was show prep, haul in and school day. This morning, my Evil Trainer informed me that I should have my show gear ready for tomorrow since she entered me in the Adult W/T classes. Gulp.

For some reason, early this morning I had gotten out the jacket, pulled out the noose shirt and the breeches. Was going to take them just in case I got brave or something.

The ET rode him first - thanks to his feet, he hadn't been ridden since last Sunday. She is showing him in the intermediate hunters. My horse never looked at a thing - and the show staff had some interesting jumps in the ring - lots of pumpkins, hay bales, straw bales. He is absolutely beautiful over jumps - snaps his knees up and looks like he is having a ball. He did so well, she took him over to where the bigger jumps live and jumped a few there - and he did great.

Then it was my turn. Gulp. I got on while she schooled another rider in the ring and we just walked. He so had his big boy walk going and I know he wanted to run around and jump some more, but he was so good.

Then, the highlight of my day: We went into the ring we will be showing in. And did trot circles - smallish. With the big stride big boy trot. And I rode my horse. And I corrected him when he got fast going toward the gate and we kept on trucking. And we went to the dreaded right and I kept my left shoulder back and posted it like a big kid. The ET said, and I quote, "That looks very pretty."

Now the last lesson I had on Finn was pretty ugly. Every time we tried to circle right, he bulged left, as in way left. And it was all me and my left shoulder. Such a good feeling to pull it out and do it correctly!!!

Woot!
    And nothing bad happened!

Nice job, Jaslyn! Glad it went well for you.

Welcome aboard, ClassyRide. Hope you enjoy this group.

And Pancakes....what can I say besides "that really sucks!" I hope you find a great horse soon.

Mr. All Better, (formerly Mr. Stall Rest, then Mr. Rehab) had yet another vet recheck today. He walked, trotted and cantered soundly BOTH directions, including the corners! He was very surprised about being asked to canter. The vet said after he gets reshod he will take one more set of xrays, and then we are cleared for normal work and turnout! He will have to come back slowly, of course, and it will be a while before we start jumping again, but maybe there are some horse shows in our future.

Going to Lexington tomorrow and Sunday for the Alltech National Horse Show. Some of the people from my barn are competing. One of our horses won a class yesterday, which is very cool.

Have a great weekend, everyone!
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

Hi all! Saw this thread while perusing h/j and remembered way back when, when I started this thread and figured no one would respond! Here we are,112 pgs later!

Hope everyone is well. I'm riding my pony Lucky a bunch, and we did 2 dressage shows this fall, and he was a star.

I found a sweet pony for my DD, and we are rehabbing her, she has Cushings. She's awesome!

We are still without power after the hurricane, we are closing in on a week, and frankly, I'm sick of it! No heat, no water. Thank God I filled the muck tubs and troughs for the horses so they'd have drinking water.

So that's my life, I'm glad this thread is still going strong!

Spaceytracy, yep, 112 pages and still going strong.

Wish there was a way we could get you some power. I know how you feel, but on the hot side. The year 4 storms hit Florida, left me without power for 6 days. Hang in there! Let us all know if there is anything we can do for you!

Show report. We got two 3rds and 2nd in our classes. The first 3rd was in eq, which I would have done much better with had I not blown a diagonal. I know I never pick up the left on autopilot, so just automatically change. That was good, but then somewhere I ended up back right and didn't catch it in time.

But the ribbons weren't the point, the point was I rode my horse at a show and nothing bad happened. We were in a small indoor arena with stalls on two sides. On one side the stalls front the arena so there is a sidewalk with kids, muck buckets, scooters, lawn chairs, you name it. Out the back, cars wash racks. In the front, bleachers and the in/out gate. Again, people coming and going, horses waiting for their classes, riders in the warm up area. And he never blinked an eye at anything. He was very curious about the various goings on and would crane his head as we would go by just to see what was what. Made me laugh out loud.

He was pretty up, as in can we go now, huh, huh, huh, up. Part of that had to do with me being just a tad nervous. But, I rode it, remembered to do touches on the reins to slow and not pull, and just rode. I was able to think during the ride instead of my normal brain freeze. Now this was just a w/t class - eq, us, and pleasure. During the eq, the Judge called for the sitting trot - I faked it big time, sitting the bouncy tb is just not in my tool kit yet. She also asked for halts - and Finn halted like we do it all the time.

As I said, I did it, I rode my horse at a show and lived!

Jaslyn way to go! So proud of you. What a way to end the season. We knew you could do it.
    Pony thats great news.
    Welcome back Spacytracy. We've missed you. Hope your power returns soon.

Yay, jaslyn! So glad you had a good show day!

I only did one show this season, and I really missed showing. Just too much going on at work, and small health issues for Tajar. I am hoping next season will make up for it.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Pancakes, it's good to hear from you. Hang in there, sister.

Quietann, soooooo sorry to hear about the laminitis. Let's hope the good shoeing helps! Keep us posted!

Spacytracy, welcome back! It's great to hear from the Mother of the ReRiders Thread! Glad to hear about Lucky and the new pony, too. So, is it possible to recover from Cushings? An old mare DD used to ride got it, and it was a slow decline for her from then on. I'll be interested to hear what you are doing for it. May your power return soon!

SUPER news about the show, jaslyn! This must be great for your confidence!

pony4me, may Mr. All-Better remain Mr. Sound-as-a-Dollar!

Sky and I have one more show this season, next weekend. It's at our farm again, which is nice and convenient. We did a few more left-to-right changes on Thursday with coach watching, and it was not a fluke. She seems to know understand what I am asking for now, and if I don't lean in (my terrible tendency), she does it perfectly. Let's hope it's there when I need it over fences!

Wow! So many wonderful, engaged participants in this thread! No wonder we're at Page 112 and counting!

Thank you all so much for welcoming me - I'm quite excited about joining here because it seems like everyone really supports each other.... and I need that some days!

For those who asked if my ankle was any better, it is! But I had soft-tissue damage (not a fracture), so ParadoxFarm, I can't say how a fracture will heal. I had three partially torn ligaments in my right ankle. PT loosened it up *a lot* and now that ankle flexes better than the left. But, the ligaments do fatigue easy. I have to be careful, because if I ride more than it's used to I get tendinitis all the way from the ankle up the outside of my calf on that leg. Not a pleasant feeling.

Dewey – Best of luck at your show next weekend! I’m so jealous – I have yet to ride a flying change (well, on purpose anyway)! Do a couple for me next time you ride.

Quietann – Best of luck with the Golden Morgan. It's wonderful that you have such a good team of people working on her.

Pancakes – Thank you for sharing your story; *you* really touched *me* because I know just what you are going through. Don't worry - you *will* find the right one.

Jaslyn – Many congrats on the awesome show day!!! That must have felt completely amazing. You braved it out and look how good Finn was for you!!! I <3 my TB mare because even though she has moments, when I *really* need her to be the brave one she never lets me down. Sounds like Finn was a solid citizen for you on show day.

Pony4Me – Congratulations on Mr. Rehab graduating to Mr. All Better! I hope he is a superstar about coming back to work and gets you some blues!

SpacyTracy – I hope you have power again soon if it didn’t come back already. Congrats on the shows and on the pony for DD!

I'll come back on either later today or tomorrow night to give you guys a run-down on my three beloved beasties.

Quietann- so sorry! Happy healing thoughts for you.

Jaslyn- way to go!!! That's incredibly awesome. Congrats.

Pancakes, hope you're hanging in there today.

Great ride for me today... We conquered cantering into a particular inside line that we've only been able to trot into before- because of the angle of the tight turn into it, and he's a big lug. Today we did it, and managed another tight turn from that line into another inside line. I think this means Ollie's canter is getting more balanced and his athleticism is increasing

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui...xpb0&safe=1&zw

Hope the link works. Shameless brag on Finn. This is my trainer on him in the 2'3" Intermediate Hunters. Finn was not happy - full of TB tude and not really listening to her. But I love the pic of my boy jumping!

"Try to trot a X-rail on the new horse and I'm flopping around like a fish. My weakness is really made obvious with smaller, trot fences.

I've really been thinking that I need to get my core in shape and I think that will help me. But WHEN? I have a 3 year old, a job, a house, and the horses. Oh, and a husband too."

I definitely know how you feel I took about 4 years off from riding and have loved getting back into the swing of riding. Got a young horse last spring, who is an absolute doll but I notice that I'm not as tight in the tack as I'd like too. Like some of the other suggestions doing a class like pilates has been really helpful to me. The core work is soo awesome for balance.
    Also I feel like mental preparation is super important (at least for me). You might want to check into a site like www.equestriancoach.com it's like having a lesson from the top riders or coaches in the industry but you can do it from the comfort of your home whenever you have time. They have several video topics on getting tight in the tack, that show exercises you can do/practice. But for me sometimes just watching the topic can help me understand something I was missing or not focused on which makes all the difference.

This link goes to a couple of those (getting tight in the tack) topics one for over fences and one for on the flat.
    http://www.equestriancoach.com/video...All&viewed=All

So, as promised, here is a run-down of my three-horse herd (and a little about me). Sorry that this is long – I could go on all day about them, so I’m going to try to keep it short…

My very first horse is my heart horse. He’s the one that I wouldn’t have ever been able to get if my ankle wasn’t messed up when I test rode that first horse… I brought him home almost exactly 7 years ago. He’s an American Saddlebred gelding, now 19 years old, and he’s Chestnut Spotted (in other words, pinto). I got him from a rescue, who found him in the kill pen at a harness horse auction. He’s bombproof, sweet, handsome, and an awesome teacher. Just about everything I know about riding, he’s taught me. He has the patience of a saint with children and beginner riders, but as I’ve gained knowledge, he always steps up his game a little. Never gives his rider more than they can handle, but he always has something to teach, and always makes you ride. IMHO, those are by far the best horses to learn on – he’s a total keeper. <3 Of course, he doesn’t like jumping, and has some conformational flaws that have probably been part of the cause of him being on-and-off NQR in the last couple of years, but he’s been my pleasure horse and trail-blazer deluxe for 7 wonderful years, and I know we have a ton more love to share with each other for years to come. He has his forever-home with me. I call him Gabriel. Here are a couple pics:

Yeah, he’s man enough to wear pink: http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67..._062211_03.jpg
    He’s my sweet pea:
    http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67...erd/IMG003.jpg
    Awesome trail horse:
    http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67...ide-2010-2.jpg

About 3 years after getting Gabe, I decided I wanted to jump – and since he didn’t dig jumping, I needed another horse for that. I searched and searched and searched for over a year and finally found a OTTB mare who I fell entirely in love with. She was 6 years old at the time (now 9) – a beautiful dark bay mare with a big white star and the coolest, oddest little bit of roaning in her coat. It’s not immediately obvious, but when the light hits her right you can see a silver sheen on her. So cool. Anyway, she is the perfect step up from my first boy. Super kind and willing – very patient in some ways, but very sensitive in others. She has taught me more about being quiet with my aids, and she has also taught me how to sit tall in the occasional airs above ground moments. But what I love about this girl is that if I’m just patient and calm with her, she’s a complete superstar. Case in point, I’d never taken her on a trail ride ever – never stepped foot in the woods with her. This past Summer I took her on a 3-day trail ride in the mountains with a couple hundred other horses. She was very nervous at first – she’s that way when she doesn’t know what her job is or what to expect. But, I was patient, I stayed calm in the saddle through her fidgeting and crow-hopping, I talked to her softly and guided her into line for the ride. And 5 minutes down the trail, you’d have thought she’d done this all her life. She negotiated a stream, many almost straight up and down climbs/descents, slippery muddy rocks – you name it. She was awesome! I love her. Her name is Velvet.

This photo shows her cool silvery sheen from the roaning:
    http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67...16_Cropped.jpg
    Doing spirals:
    http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67..._3_Cropped.jpg
    On the 3-day trail ride with some friends:
    http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67...12-Friday3.jpg
    Pretty girl:
    http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67..._062211_02.jpg

And then about a year and a half ago, I succumbed once again to my horse addiction. Way back, not long after I’d gotten the first horse, I stumbled upon a breeder’s website. She bred Saddlebreds, but these guys were different from most. They were very versatile. Some of her foals went on to normal Saddlebred show careers, but she also had many that went elsewhere (Hunters, Jumpers, Endurance, Dressage, etc.). I had drooled over her horses for years and finally found myself in a position to get one. So, I got a beautiful red-bay yearling filly with a star and right hind sock. This little girl is phenomenal! Smart as a whip, wants only to please, and would be a lap-dog if she could. I have never in my life met a horse who so desires to be messed with – even the “bad” things like shots and worming. If she’s getting attention, her world is sunny and bright. …She’s now 2 and a half years old and I’ve been able to put a lot of training on her in a short amount of time because she’s so smart and sweet. Mentally, she’s ready to be backed, but she’s still physically immature and butt-high. So, I’m going to re-evaluate her come Spring and see whether she’s ready to get her first ride or not. The baby’s name is Rose.

Weanling photo courtesy of her breeder. Photo credit to Louise Gilliland:
    http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67...d/Puff-196.jpg
    Getting ponied. And what a good girl Velvet was to be the pony horse!:
    http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67..._3_Cropped.jpg
    Peacefully grazing:
    http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67...01_Smaller.jpg

As for me, my dreams of showing were put on hold for quite a while. Gabriel and Velvet gave me about 4 good solid years of riding lessons before I had to stop because the economy took my job away. And when I did get back to work, I also started a Bachelor’s degree program which has eaten up almost all of my free time over the last few years. I’m finally almost finished (will be done mid-January), and I can’t wait to be able to see my horses more than once per week and start lessons again. Besides, my confidence gets shaky if I’m out of lessons for a while. I have a completely idiotic fear of cantering which goes away if I have an instructor who can gently push me into doing it *every* *single* *day*. But since I’ve been on my own, I’m slowly gotten back to fearing it. I don’t think I’ve cantered anybody in a couple of months – I’m digging my own grave with it. I need those lessons pronto!

Sorry again for the novel. Thank you for humoring me.

ClassyRide -- all 3 of your equine children are beautiful, but I admit I am partial to Velvet. What a lovely face.

I know what you mean about apprehension creeping in when you don't do something consistently. That is the worst feeling. You know you can do it, but for some reason you get in your own way. Congrats on almost being done with school. Maybe do some small, local shows in 2013?

I just tried to attach a photo of Tajar, taken a couple of weeks ago. I hope it works - I haven't done this on my iPad before.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	110.2 KB 
ID:	37117  
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson