The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 111 of 380 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121161211 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,220 of 7597

Thanks, Dewey! I know I don't have the best form, but I'm really (or was before the ankle) working on it.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

I love Appys. When I was doing Pony Club in New England back in the 70s, they were everywhere. Now I see them very seldom here in Georgia. The Quarter Horses are much more common as a reliable, steady-eddie kind of horse. But I always loved the Appys and felt they are athletic and smart.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Quote Originally Posted by ParadoxFarm View Post
    Thanks, PaintedHunter! He is a cutey, huh? We don't do very well in hunter classes, so we do jumprs. He's been the best horse I've ever had, and before him I would probably have never looked at a horse like him. I'm sure glad he came into my life.

I just love the look of him. That last photo of him makes him appear that he has definite Opinions on Things, but in a sweet way

The horse I learned to ride on as a kid was an Appy - loved her, and she definitely TOLD people when they were riding wrong. Either with a barely registered buck (meant to get our attention, not unseat) or, more often, a refusal to move forward. Best teacher ever.

I would never criticize your form. Mine is highly erratic.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Thanks. Yeah, I criticize my form enough for all of us, haha. But I do recognize things I need to work on, and have started to. So it's all good! Video would be another issue, haha. This guy is half Appy and half Trakehner of all things. So when I thought I was getting a "mutt" (and happy none-the-less) what I was surprised to find out is that he's actually registered both Anglo-Trakehner and Appaloosa. Go figure. I think the Ap papers are strictly based on color since they don't have his lineage on his papers. But I really don't care too much since he's not going anywhere! He's only somewhat opinionated. Very willing and VERY forgiving. If I don't ride correctly we do get a rail down, but he's never refused a jump with me. I've had him about 2 years now. The last lesson I had two weeks ago we jumped a liverpool for the first time and he didn't even bat an eyelash.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Okay, while I'm at it, I will post my other horse. He's SWB and this guy IS opinionated, very much so! A little grumpy, too.

http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/x...p/LeftSide.jpg

He can be fun to ride, though. And sometimes he can be a pain when he doesn't feel like he wants to work (which is too often, haha.)

Thanks, all.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Oh my Ollie is very opinionated on matters, but he is also very forgiving and mild-mannered. I think horses can be opinionated in more ways than one For example: Ollie thinks that he needs to be fed 53 times per day, and no fewer, and he lets it be known. LOL. he also is very opinionated on when he thinks we should be done for the day! (will walk toward the gate). But until that time? Sweetest guy who puts up with my crappy riding.

Your SWB is quite the handsome one as well!

Well, then maybe Chico is opinionated. He could definitely eat 53 times a day! Maybe I will be brave tomorrow and post a short video of each. You can definitely see the SWB attitude in the video (though we love him anyway), and Chico's willingness.
    Last edited by ParadoxFarm; Nov. 2, 2012 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Add
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Pancakes, I am so sorry about your too short stint as a horse owner.

Paradox - what a lovely, lovely horse!
    And nothing bad happened!

1 members found this post helpful.

Pancakes - just read your thread on Breeding - about your new horse. So, so sorry.
    Last edited by CVPeg; Nov. 1, 2012 at 08:47 PM.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Pancakes how are you doing today?

Thank you, CVPeg, Hazel. Today it really sunk in and I cried quite a bit. I didn't go to the barn today at all since I knew it would be too hard to see him and I'd feel even more attached. I have to try to distance myself at all costs. He'll be leaving when I'm at work, so it'll be good. I am going to the barn tomorrow and saying goodbye before heading back to work. It's still heartbreaking, but I don't know what else to do. I'm lucky I'm getting my money back, though, and I am lucky for a lot of reasons. But it's sad to feel that connection, then have it broken, no matter how much you know you shouldn't get attached too early. He was my first horse I ever could say I owned though, you now? My first...

Today I started looking for horses again. I found a few "maybe" prospects but I can't bring myself to feel excited about them. Maybe I'll feel differently when he's gone. At least I have an awesome lease horse in Paisley to love in the meantime.
    Thanks for asking guys. It's been an emotionally tiring 24 hours. I'm also sad to let everyone down who was so excited for me too. I appreciate everyone's thoughts, though. I'm sure you all remember how it was when you got your first horse.

Pancakes, I'm so sorry- how you feel is 100% understandable, and I'd feel the same way. Take you time in looking for another horse- don't push yourself if you're not emotionally ready.

When I made the decision to part with my first horse after a year and a half, I was devastated even though I knew it was the right thing to do. For you to be upset after a short ownership period doesn't make you abnormal or anything, and don't think you've let anyone down. You are showing what a caring and HUMAN person you are. Give yourself time to grieve over it.

Hang in there Pancakes. No doubt about it, fate dealt you a crappy hand with this one. Just try to think about how grateful you are that he ended up with you, who took the time to find out about his history, which saved him from future pain and suffering. You have banked a lot of good will in the karma credit plan, and I am sure you will find the right horse at the end of it all.

But in the meantime it really is unfair, and we all wish there was something we could do to help.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Absolutely give yourself time to grieve, Pancakes. It was so obvious from the pictures and from your posts how excited you were and how much you loved him. It's going to take awhile to get over that. Remember that we are here for you. We know that it's not "just a horse."

I'm sorry about your loss, too, Pancakes. Just because you had him such a short time doesn't mean you didn't fall hard. And looking at the pics, I totally understand. I am happy, as others have stated, that he made it to you. Maybe there was a reason for that. For sure you have saved that horse from hardship.

The right horse will happen along. Just be open to it when you are ready. I found my current two when I wasn't looking. I just always have my eyes and ears open. Good luck.

Oh, and I'm totally with you on not being there. It is hard to see an empty stall, but for me, it's harder to watch them go. I was not home when my last horse left for her new home. Luckily my husband was able to take care of it. I would have cried like a baby in front of the new owners, so I would have been worthless anyway.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Pancakes so sorry, I read the thread yesterday and I just cannot believe what happened. But I will say that I lost my lease horse to colic after about 2 months and could not go back to riding and horses for another 8 months. However, that is when I found my heart horse, my 20 year old retired guy now.

Keep your heart open for your next friend he/she is out there looking for you...

Hi everybody! I think maybe I qualify to be in this thread… I took some Walk/Trot lessons as a 10 year old, but had to stop due to my parents’ financial strain (that’s all the further I ever got!). Then, as a twenty-something, I decided to work at a Dressage barn to get some horse-handling knowledge and to save up money to buy my first horse. Now, as a 31 year old, I’ve really succumb to the potato chip syndrome and have three horses (including the “first” guy). I’ve been back in the saddle for …is it 8 years already? I can’t believe it. And I’ve done a lot of firsts in my adult riding life (cantering, going on trail rides, jumping little crossrails and cavaletti, riding out some bucking fits, coming off at a very fast trot/almost canter [unrelated to bucking], my first flying dismount during a spook, etc). Hahaha – lots of things I’ve experienced since coming back to riding! And I have a big “fear” problem now that I didn’t have when I was young. Oy!

In any case, I haven’t read through this entire thread, but Pancakes’ story touched my heart and prompted me to post. I am SO sorry that you had to go through this experience, but you’ve done an incredible thing by finding out his history and saving both him and yourself a lot of pain and heartache later on. He is *extremely* lucky that he landed in your care.

I, myself, had an experience not exactly the same as yours, but I went through the same emotional pain. As mentioned above, I worked at a Dressage barn to save up money to purchase my first horse. I was shocked when one of the young ladies decided she was going to sell her 13 year old flea-bitten grey TB Gelding. He had always been one of my favorites to lead in and out of the pasture – such a solid citizen and so sweet. I made her an offer on him dependent on a trial lesson since I hadn’t ridden in almost 15 years. A week or so passed before I was able to have my lesson, and in that week I fell *entirely* in love with him. Even my Mom was already congratulating me on reaching one of my lifelong goals of horse ownership. She came to see him at the stable to “meet her new grandchild.”

Then, the lesson. The horse did absolutely nothing wrong, but I found out that an old ankle injury of mine had created so much scar tissue that I was in searing pain when riding. Every step he took was like a knife as my ankle flexed, even at the walk. I was bawling 15 minutes in, I was in so much pain. The riding instructor recommended I get physical therapy on the ankle before I think about purchasing a horse. She did not think it was a good idea for me to get him when I couldn’t ride for more than a few minutes.

It broke my heart to pieces, but I had to let him go. I cried many times over, and still to this day I wonder where he ended up, and I hope and pray that he’s happy and healthy and living the life of Ryan somewhere. Thankfully, you know your guy is going to a wonderful place, but that doesn’t make the pain any less. I know how you feel – please know that it was the *right* decision.

I know you will find your perfect horse, but please do not rush. I had to wait a few months as I went through physical therapy, but I literally found the horse of my dreams – through a rescue, oddly and completely by chance, right about the time I was getting ready to start searching again. If I’d gotten the first guy, I never would’ve been able to afford my horse-of-a-lifetime. I sincerely feel that everything happens for a reason.

Hang in there – we’re all here for you.

Welcome, classyrider! So, did the pt really help the ankle? Are you feeling better riding now? I am interested because I was just put in a cast for an ankle fracture. Funny thing, though, when I rode, it never hurt. It was walking on the ground that got to me.

Tell us about your horses.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde