The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default "Humane" Girth or Anatomic? What's your favorite girth?

I am interested in hearing from anybody in regards to the girths with "humane ends". Any experience with these and whether they are more comfortable for the horse? What about an anatomic girth? I have always used just the old fashioned leather girths with fleece but trying to figure out what would be most comfortable for my sensitive young horse. Due to her current anatomy/growing body, the saddle does tend to slip back a bit and I use a breastplate on her but I wonder if this could be eradicated with an anatomic girth? Thanks!

I tried an anatomic girth upon saddle fitter's recommendation, and it did help the saddle stay in the correct spot. However, my horse hated it--the way his girth groove and front of his belly are curved, the back of the girth dug into his belly. (He has the same problem with roper cinches.) I don't think most horses get that upset, but he's a sensitive laddy...

So if you want an almost new M. Toulouse anatomic in either 50 or 52 at a reduced rate, PM me! (;

One of my sensitive skinned horse got his elbows rubbed raw by my anatomical girth....he goes in fluffy ones now.

My horse goes in an anatomical girth and is fine in it. I don't know if it works better or worse than a regular girth as I have been using it on my horses for years so I don't remember using a non anatomical girth much. However you have to find the right one. I don't know what brand mine is but it fits all the 'grooves' it needs to properly but I know of a few people that have a different brand of anatomical girth and it really fits very strange and doesn't fit the 'grooves' properly on either horse I saw it on.
    My horse got girthy when I had to borrow my trainers fluffy girth (the synthetic ones)

I had success with an anatomical girth on a horse who was oddly built, not sure how to describe him, he was very well sprung in his ribs but was also very base narrow; so he went from this very wide build to a very narrow build just behind his elbows. (He was a Morgan) All girths created rubs until I finally tried the anatomical. The small "cut back" behind the elbow positioned the pressure back far enough to prevent rubbing. It was really the only girth that worked for this horse (horse was only used for driving before I acquired him).

I used humane girths riding Arabs - they're very popular in saddleseat.

My TB, who has been grouchy about tightening the girth for as long as I have had him, barely flicked an ear when tightening with the humane girth (we're talking about girths with ends like this, right?)

Horse is physically fine etc etc, but I really love the humane girths - I think they're more stable, too. JMO
    “They were not sitting backwards on their horses,” he said with a sly smile. “But they had no dressage preparation..." - Bert de Nemethy

Thanks everybody for the feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by vanraf View Post
    I used humane girths riding Arabs - they're very popular in saddleseat.

My TB, who has been grouchy about tightening the girth for as long as I have had him, barely flicked an ear when tightening with the humane girth (we're talking about girths with ends like this, right?)

Horse is physically fine etc etc, but I really love the humane girths - I think they're more stable, too. JMO
    Yes - this the is the "humane" girth ends I am talking about! Do you have a good brand you would recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by ElisLove View Post
    My horse goes in an anatomical girth and is fine in it. I don't know if it works better or worse than a regular girth as I have been using it on my horses for years so I don't remember using a non anatomical girth much. However you have to find the right one. I don't know what brand mine is but it fits all the 'grooves' it needs to properly but I know of a few people that have a different brand of anatomical girth and it really fits very strange and doesn't fit the 'grooves' properly on either horse I saw it on.
    My horse got girthy when I had to borrow my trainers fluffy girth (the synthetic ones)
    Thanks! Do you know the brand yours is by chance?

I've not used a humane girth - they do seem to be pretty popular for saddleseat. I do like the concept.

I use anatomical girths on my horses. They don't get rubs from any girth I've ever used, so I can't speak to that end of things. I do find, however, that they allow the girth to lie a little more in the traditional spot.

I also have Morgans, and like Ponyclubrocks, they are narrower behind the elbow and then well-sprung and round-barreled (this is common of a lot of Morgans). On my horses, a traditional girth needs to sit back further in order to be in line with the billets on the saddle. Nothing wrong with that - it just looks different. When I use an anatomical girth, it still lines up with the billets, but fits a bit closer to the elbows.

I do like them - my favorite is the Pessoa, but the Dover knock-off is pretty decent, too. I think the County is crappy leather for the price, and I've never been impressed with anything M. Toulouse or Camelot. I've not seen the Kentaur one. I also have a Herve Godignon one that is a little bit different (wider at the middle/belly) that I like a lot.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.