The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Steak sauce, ketchup and other prepared add-ons

I still can't believe some people take a delicious piece of grilled steak and dump A-1 or any other brand of steak sauce on it, covering up the flavor.

Always thought the purpose of steak sauce was to make less-than-great beef, whether a poor cut or not quite fresh, seem edible.

Also can't believe anyone would adulterate a cheeseburger with ketchup, since the ketchup overpowers the cheese. But all the fast food outfits squirt it on automatically unless you stop them.

Don't understand ketchup on scrambled eggs, either, though it does go pretty well with french fries.

What do people think about bottled add-on items like steak sauce and ketchup? (And why the heck are there two alternate spellings of that last, catsup and ketchup?)
    If I knew what I were doing, why would I take lessons?

"Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

I don't eat much steak, but really good steak doesn't need steak sauce, I agree. My SO and I went to his dad's last night for SO's birthday, and his dad made steaks. His dad grills up a mean steak and sauce isn't necessary.

Ketchup on burgers, that I do. Although I actually prefer mustard on both burgers and hot dogs, so I've been known to skip the ketchup and just slather on mustard.

BBQ sauce is good on pretty much anything. I can eat it by the spoonful, not gonna lie.

I can't stand steak sauce of any kind, nasty stuff, best left on the store shelf.

Ketchup is great on some things - hot dogs, plain hamburgers, fish sticks, chips and fries, and a few other things but does not belong on eggs, that is just gross.

Mustard belongs in the same category as steak sauce, best not used on anything. Sweet relish is another story, that is a tasty topping for burgers and hot dogs.

As to the ketchup-catsup spellings, here's one answer: http://www.ochef.com/1256.htm
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Some people use hot sauce, or ketchup or mayo on everything, so it's not just the steak they cover up. I think some people who have had years of bland food or bad food get in the habit of dumping something on top to hide the taste. It's similar to people who salt everything without tasting it.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    Some people use hot sauce, or ketchup or mayo on everything, so it's not just the steak they cover up. I think some people who have had years of bland food or bad food get in the habit of dumping something on top to hide the taste. It's similar to people who salt everything without tasting it.
    My BF puts Ketchup on EVERYTHING. Steak, chinese food (!!!!), eggs, you name it and he'll put it on it. I have tried breaking this habit and it's not going to happen. He says that the reason he does it, was because as a child, 1) his mother was a not so great cook and so that covered it, and 2) that he was really picky and liked the flavor of ketchup. His parents allowed him to dump it on whatever to get him to eat healthy food and voila...a habit.

I on the other hand, don't really like sauces. I will have a bit of ketchup occasionally on something, but steaks are best plain (no sauce!) and I really hate all other condiments. Plus, they aren't that healthy....so yeah....another reason not to eat them.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~Coth's Resident Deatheater~

I hate to admit...but I put ketchup on steak. Every time. Ive been to many nice steak houses and had some great steaks, but I still like ketchup on them. Ive done it since I was little. Ive had maybe a few steaks ever that I didnt need ketchup on, and those were very well marinated and seasoned.
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Quote Originally Posted by AliCat518 View Post
    I hate to admit...but I put ketchup on steak. Every time. Ive been to many nice steak houses and had some great steaks, but I still like ketchup on them.
    No reason for shame! Just because I don't get it doesn't mean I think it is evil. Now if you put ketchup on chocolate fudge walnut ice cream, that might be evil.

I'm curious, though, how do you and others who like to put ketchup or steak sauce on steak like your steak cooked? Bloody, well done or somewhere in the middle?

Over here, we have a really great pepper sauce. I adore the stuff, and it goes really well with steak.

I don't put it on the steak though. I put it to the side, so I can dip if I feel like it.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

I am very anti-condiment too. I think if you have to douse something in sauce to make it taste good, it's not worth eating.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

I am not a fan of steak sauce. I think it's pretty much a sin to take a lovely piece of meat, cook it until it distinctly resembles saddle leather, then slather it in A1. Eugh.

I eat my steaks plain, rare or medium rare, thank you very much. I don't like ketchup on much of anything, but mustard is fine on hot dogs. And quite delicious in macaroni and cheese. Yummmm.

My mother eats steaks with ranch dressing. Not dipping the odd piece into what's left of her salad, but pouring the stuff liberally onto the meat. I do not get it.
    "Why would anybody come here if they had a pony? Who leaves a country packed with ponies to come to a non-pony country? It doesn't make sense!"

I like my steak medium rare or even rare. If its more than medium, I think it has no flavor at all. I also think the fat on steaks is delicious!
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Quote Originally Posted by AliCat518 View Post
    I like my steak medium rare or even rare. If its more than medium, I think it has no flavor at all. I also think the fat on steaks is delicious!
    The reason I asked is that I concur that steak cooked past medium has not so much flavor. I was wondering if perhaps the pro-sauce pro-ketchup school of thought also preferred their beef cooked beyond medium, which could account for the desire to tart it up a bit. But clearly that isn't the case for you. I also enjoy the fat. Thanks!

Mmm I love A1. Although when we go to a nice steakhouse I don't ask for it. When I'm home from college I order steak when we go out with my parents at least once since I don't eat it at school much. I always order it medium, but when it came back well done at Applebee's last night I definitely needed A1 to get it down. I didn't want to wait to send it back..
    Last edited by jrzeqrider; Sep. 12, 2011 at 09:52 AM.
    Go Vols!!

I love ketchup (like it on baked and mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese and rare steak, among other things). I never use steak sauce, it tastes dreadful to me. I put salsa on my scrambled eggs but not ketchup.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamantane View Post
    I still can't believe some people take a delicious piece of grilled steak and dump A-1 or any other brand of steak sauce on it, covering up the flavor.

Always thought the purpose of steak sauce was to make less-than-great beef, whether a poor cut or not quite fresh, seem edible.
    Amen! Also, the people who put ketchup on steaks usually get 'em well done. Hey- if you didn't get it well done then it would actually have some taste and you wouldn't need A1 or ketchup! Ick, tasteless. If you're going to absolutely demolish a piece of meat by cooking all of the flavor out (anything past mid-rare) then just get a burger! Seriously, don't waste your money.

The most painful thing I saw was a woman requesting to cook-up a slow roasted mid-rare Prime Rib (my mouth is watering just typing that!) to well past medium and then dousing it with A1 or some other abomination. It made my heart hurt.
    Every one of them had that look of a girl infatuated with horses, the happy, fated look of a passenger setting sail on the Titanic.

I also love A1 sauce, but only allow myself to use it on the last 6 or 7 bites of a 1-pound steak. (Especially the last remaining bit of caramelized fat on a Delmonico.)

I'll use copious amounts of steak sauce on cheap steaks, bad steaks, or overcooked steaks.

As for burgers, I don't like cheese on mine unless it's a smoked gouda. Past that, I try and keep my condiments to a minimum. Assuming it's a premium burger and not just McD's. If anything, I like a plain burger with mayo, dill relish and a little salt and pepper. Although sometimes the occasion does call for mustard and ketchup.
    The dude abides ...

No condiments at all on a good steak.

But a burger? Not only do I put ketchup on the burger, I have a puddle of ketchup into which I dip it prior to every bite!

French fries? It's mayonnaise on those.

Quote Originally Posted by kookicat View Post
    Over here, we have a really great pepper sauce. I adore the stuff, and it goes really well with steak.

I don't put it on the steak though. I put it to the side, so I can dip if I feel like it.

Man, I KNEW I wasn't imagening things when I remembered HP sauce existing!

I like my meat seasoned, but not smothered in sauce, neither BBQ nor steak sauce.

However, I make a mean garlic dipping sauce for fondue.

(and come on, mustard and ketchup and mayo on a burger!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I order my steaks well done. Otherwise, many place bring out a steak that is barely warm. I don't think most restaurants chefs have a clue about how to exactly cook a meat to the right degree of doneness for the customer. And since my parents always cooked everything thoroughly (they were terrified of meat born illnesses, unfortunately that didn't mean food tasted very good either) I'm used to it. I find that properly seasoned steak and other meats taste fine, but when they are poorly seasoned they are terrible and tasteless, so I think the secret is the seasoning, not the degree of cooking doneness (or however you put it).
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by JanM View Post
    I order my steaks well done. Otherwise, many place bring out a steak that is barely warm. I don't think most restaurants chefs have a clue about how to exactly cook a meat to the right degree of doneness for the customer. And since my parents always cooked everything thoroughly (they were terrified of meat born illnesses, unfortunately that didn't mean food tasted very good either) I'm used to it. I find that properly seasoned steak and other meats taste fine, but when they are poorly seasoned they are terrible and tasteless, so I think the secret is the seasoning, not the degree of cooking doneness (or however you put it).
    I find exactly the opposite. If you are not in a "real" steak house, the steak comes out cooked to death. Blech.