The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ex racer with bowed tendon. Would you take him on as a pet?

I found a horse I've really liked for a long time. He's had this bowed tendon for over a year now. It's still healing the vet said. The trainer has choosen to stop with him.

I'm not sure if the amish will take him with a bowed tendon?
    He was racing in the open when he get was good.

I'd really like him as a pet. I know that with the tendon he will possibly never be sound to ride. Like I said I'd really like him as a pet. He's 8 now I just checked. Just to let him live out his days. I have a lot of friends that board and have lots of turn outs.

I'm not sure. Would you take it on? And how much would you offer? My other half is furious I'd want to take on a pet, since we always vowed to have racing horses. But like I said, I've known this horse about 2 years now and I really like him. I can't ride anymore anyways and I'd really love a pet horse. One I know I can keep and spoil. But I'm just not sure if I should.

Looking for other's thoughts, and advice on the whole thing.

Why not? That is one thing that is almost impossible to be a failure at.

My other half is furious I'd want to take on a pet
    Don't do it unless you can reach a compromise on this - work out a realistic budget & an agreement that you'll not spend more than x$ in the event of ...

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    Don't do it unless you can reach a compromise on this - work out a realistic budget & an agreement that you'll not spend more than x$ in the event of ...
    I do not think he's even willing to compromise with me on this. He likes the horse too. He works with him I just visit where he works and then we have our own barn. He just can't see why someone would one want a pet horse or two even want a riding horse. I do have the funds to have a pet. I wouldn't want to go behind his back. I don't think he'd leave but he'd be quite upset. I'm going to come up with a budget, though that's a great idea and try. The worst he can still say is no.

Depending on how badly bowed he is, I'd be very surprised if you had any issues making him into a riding horse! My OTTB gelding bowed at 2 and again at 4, and never had a problem pleasure riding, local showing and just plain having fun. I found in his case it was after a solid year that the tendon started to tighten and improve - it seems likea lot of people want to rush them back.
    Perhaps create a plan to rehab him and do local shows, to make him more "useful" in your bf's eyes. Some people who strictly race miss out on the joys of non-racing activities.
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

I agree that its likely that he will have some usefulness left once he is recovered but it's not worth going to war over in my opinion.

Well, other than the issue with your DH I don't see why not. The horse will probably be rideable, though.

If your DH really won't come around on this, would you consider volunteering at a local horse rescue?

I have an OTQH that bowed at 3. He had a long career as a pony horse, then western show horse and finally a children's A hunter. He is semi-retired at 23 but I still ride him. Don't assume he'll never be rideable.

Horses with bowed tendons quite frequently go on to perform soundly in other careers... as many have already noted.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Perhaps the relationship with the horse may be more satisfying than one with a DH who seeks to control others.

Good luck with your decision/s. I too have had plenty of horses go on to active sporting careers after recovering from a bowed tendon.

Quote Originally Posted by NancyM View Post
    Perhaps the relationship with the horse may be more satisfying than one with a DH who seeks to control others.
    If his only objection to acquiring the horse is that he just doesn't "get it" he does sound a little over the top. Maybe he has financial concerns, given that the horse is relatively young and has already amassed some medical problems.

Quote Originally Posted by vacation1 View Post
    If his only objection to acquiring the horse is that he just doesn't "get it" he does sound a little over the top. Maybe he has financial concerns, given that the horse is relatively young and has already amassed some medical problems.
    I'm not sure totally of the reason, yet. We talked about it on my way to work for a short min. I think it's a money thing. Plus he's not a riding guy he doesn't see it the way I would. Of course same thing with the racing. I enjoy the racing but I don't get the same excitement as I do riding. I think I'm not sure yet as I won't see him until the races are over with tonight. I believe his thoughts on it are why feed a mouth that isn't going to earn his keep. Because like I said we made a vow to only keep race horses. And if I take this horse on will I go off and pay more attention to him then the business? Since he would not be boarded at the track but somewhere else. How can I care for him & then our barn & go to work. Might be another question/concern. Not sure yet have yet to ask.

But like Laurie said it might not be worth going to war over this whole thing.

Well, if you have the time and money and the issue is just some "vow", you could point out that it's possible he'll be salable as a riding prospect. I'd take one with an old bow and so would a lot of people--they're usually fine later, just not for racing. And if it turns out to be too time-consuming or whatever the issue is, once it's filled you can list him for sale as a riding horse.

You say you want him as a pet. A bow should not be a problem for a pet and may very likely be rideable eventually.
    Is this a horse that you'll be thinking of, wondering about, or perhaps feeling regret over later down the road? I go "soft" over lots of horses but some are just "special". You can't save them all but some will haunt you if you don't...
    This I know.

What everyone else said!! I've seen some very badly bowed horses return to useful pleasure horses. That said...he should be VERY cheap. There aren't many takers for a "broke down" race horse. Is this a STB or a TB?? I gather from the Amish question that he is a STB. If STB he would surely make a nice pleasure driving horse...much better fate than an Amish road horse.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

i have one in for sale that bowed in nov. of last year. was rehabbed right and given 9 months to recover. he is now after 3 weeks of being restarted w/t/c and jumping small jumps. the tendon is tighter and smaller now that he is being worked. he is sound as ever.i know plenty of horses that have gone onto great second careers with bows. it all is in how they were rehabbed and if the trainer stopped when the bow first happens, not trying to get one more race out of them.good luck
    www.camaloufarms.com

ride it like you stole it! "ralph hill"

Ive never had a horse with a bowed tendon that didnt come sound. My worst case was one that bowed in a race. Came back in the meatwagon, with his ankle on the ground. We put a splint on him, kept him in the stall for 2 months, started hand walking him for a month, turned him out for 9 months, brought him back and he won 2 races. He's the only ex-racehorse that I still own that is here just to mow the fields. Id love to have someone come and try him, but we cant catch him! Moves beautifully, tho.

Worst thing you can do for a bowed tendon is keep them stalled. Give them as much turn out time as you can, and you'll be surprised how well they turn out. My horse's tendon is barely noticeable; you'd have to really be good to notice it.

Yep, I'd take him. Cold, set bows don't worry me too much. I evented Lilly on an old bow up to intermediate and she was sound.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Default standardbreds rock

I have an OT stb who trained so easily as a riding horse. Even if you don't want to ride, you could half-lease him to someone who wants to, helps your expenses.
    Last edited by HPFarmette; Sep. 13, 2011 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by halo View Post
    Worst thing you can do for a bowed tendon is keep them stalled. Give them as much turn out time as you can, and you'll be surprised how well they turn out. My horse's tendon is barely noticeable; you'd have to really be good to notice it.
    |This. Hand walking, cold hosing...do your homework and it will help a lot. My gelding mentioned above tried to commit suicide after stall rest according to his trainer....he was being hand walked after being in for weeks, got away from the trainer and tied up so badly he collapsed. He is NOT the kind of horse who is happy being kept indoors 24/7!
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/