The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Internet only (no TV or phone) service providers?

I would like to get rid of my TV bill since I never watch it and have Netflix. Anybody recommend a wi-fi service or something that would be cheaper, since I only want the internet anyways? I know some people have a wi-fi card or something.. though I'm not quite sure what that all entails.. Help!

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

That wouldn't work. You'd blow through your bandwidth allotment quickly if you are a Netflix user. Your best option is to get nothing but Internet through the cable company or local telecom provider.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Wow good to know! Hopefully verizon or brighthouse offer internet only packages..

There are satellite providers who will do (or used to do) that, but they are not cheap and the start up costs were very high as well.

However, I do know people with no land lines who have internet service. Not sure how they do it, but I am sure they don't have cable either. Maybe they get it through their Dish network or something. IDK.

SCFarm
    The above post is an opinion, just an opinion. If it were a real live fact it would include supporting links to websites full of people who already agreed with me.

www.southern-cross-farm.com

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

You have to push them to offer it to you because they are supposed to sell you bundles but if you get forceful enough, they will put it on the table.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Also good to know! I do not want a bundle, that's for sure. Don't have the extra cash or time to even watch it!

I have internet-only service through CenturyLink. It's a good bit cheaper than the Verizon broadband card I was using, and more reliable service. Still, "cheap" is relative. It's a lot more than I paid when I lived in town and got DSL through the cable company. I do have Direct TV seperately, but no land line.
    *#~*#~*#~*#~*
    Proud Momma of *Capital Kiss* and Bottle Rocket!

they (at&t, brighthouse, verizon, cox, etc) all have internet only services. They are going to try to push you into a bundle. I know this because I only have internet and have had only internet for the past 3 years. I have not found a really 'great' deal on just internet. I actually just bumped up to getting TV (a small package) because it was only $10 bucks more.

I do not use a landline either, just my cell phone. I have not had a landline in over 10 years. Why have 2 numbers?

Get a HDMI cable so you can hook your laptop to your TV and you can watch the netflix streaming on the tv though the computer.

Quote Originally Posted by MunchingonHay View Post
    I have not had a landline in over 10 years. Why have 2 numbers?
    I have 2 numbers (cell and landline) with DSL+ landline through CenturyLink (used to be Qwest.)

I checked and DSL+landline was only about $5/month more that straight DSL.

One reason that I keep a landline is that where I live, all cell 911 calls go through city dispatch. Cell phone 911 calls must be located via coordinates. Additionally, if the coordinates of the cell phone put the cell phone in the unincorporated county, you are then transferred to the sheriff's office. With the land line, they know exactly where you are and will be routed via phone equipment to the correct dispatch.

Did discover one benefit of a landline this weekend. With our wildfires, people with landlines got a phone call if their area was being evacuated. The rest of us have just kept an eye on the window for three days watchign where the smoke is going!
    *#~*#~*#~*#~*

Default I live in an area with ONLY Comcast

and I have been feuding with them since I sent them packing years ago. But NO ONE will give me, [sell me] unllimited service -200 FEET too far from the central office for AT&T but on a promo, I got one year at 19.99 a month from Comcast. Now they do bombard me to bundle my services-not gonna happen. And it will eventually go up to the unpalatable amount of 64.00 a month for the internet only. But the service is pretty good. I got to watch videos all weekend of Burghley and feel like I am in the real world.
    Maybe what ever cable service is in your area will offer such a service to you.
    Another killer of threads

Quote Originally Posted by archieflies View Post
    I have internet-only service through CenturyLink. It's a good bit cheaper than the Verizon broadband card I was using, and more reliable service. Still, "cheap" is relative. It's a lot more than I paid when I lived in town and got DSL through the cable company. I do have Direct TV seperately, but no land line.
    What does centurylink charge for just internet? I have them for my landline & internet and keep thinking it's silly to still have the landline since we rarely use it.

Quote Originally Posted by tasia View Post
    What does centurylink charge for just internet? I have them for my landline & internet and keep thinking it's silly to still have the landline since we rarely use it.
    You are probably going to have to check based on your location. I would not be surprised if different people pay different amounts based on geographical location.

Thanks. I will.

Quote Originally Posted by Where'sMyWhite View Post
    I have 2 numbers (cell and landline) with DSL+ landline through CenturyLink (used to be Qwest.)

I checked and DSL+landline was only about $5/month more that straight DSL.

One reason that I keep a landline is that where I live, all cell 911 calls go through city dispatch. Cell phone 911 calls must be located via coordinates. Additionally, if the coordinates of the cell phone put the cell phone in the unincorporated county, you are then transferred to the sheriff's office. With the land line, they know exactly where you are and will be routed via phone equipment to the correct dispatch.
    I can see where having access to 911 is very important. I am on the east coast where there are cell towers everywhere. My cell phone also has an option, (actually I dont think I can turn it off) when I call 911 dispatch knows where I am via GPS.

Quote Originally Posted by MunchingonHay View Post
    My cell phone also has an option, (actually I dont think I can turn it off) when I call 911 dispatch knows where I am via GPS.
    And where I live, even if you had this phone and were currently located in the unincorporated county, your call would still be routed to city dispatch for subsequent routing to sheriff's office dispatch.

I get internet only through Time Warner/Roadrunner Cable. Works great, never had any problems for four years. I do not get TV or phone service.

TimeWarner offers a web only product down here in Dallas. $50ish a month, but we have the big pipe.

I have no idea what the bandwidth allotments may or may not be, as we don't use it for streaming media.
    "The nice thing about memories is the good ones are stronger and linger longer than the bad and we sure have some incredibly good memories." - EverythingButWings

Quote Originally Posted by tasia View Post

After the first few months, we will be paying about $50/month for the lowest speed, which is all that's available at our house... compared to the $65 or so we were paying for Verizon and getting the same speed and frequent outages (days or sometimes weeks of horrible connections), it's not so bad. Yes, it's still way, way too much to pay for internet, but there are no other options where I live. The CenturyLink dsl line JUST made it here about a month ago.
    *#~*#~*#~*#~*

We have Verizon FIOS, for Internet only. We have an antenna on the roof for TV and our old copper landline for phone. I had to fight Verizon tooth and nail to get this setup, but it IS available, they just don't want you to have it and try to make it hard for you, including passive aggressive "mistakes" on orders.