The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Help with bloodlines, decisions on a horse!

Hi Guys! After retiring my 2 sporthorse siblings from competition last year due to equine recurrent uveitis, a horse seems to have dropped out of the sky for me (your know how they do that!). A friend is offering me his 3/4 TB / Dutch yearling filly (Registered KWPN-NA). I'll give you the bloodlines and the plusses and minuses.

Sire: Mystic Replica

Dam: (Roemer x justanotherdottie) http://www.pedigreequery.com/justanotherdottie

I am looking for jumping ability, ridability and trainability. This mare has thrown 4 all dutch foals and all are massive and very nice. Some were a little hotter than others depending on the sire, all very ridable.

The filly has a lovely neck shoulder and hip. As a foal and weanling she had excellent conformation and movement. She is currently little awkward as a yearling. She is standing rump high, she toes out just slightly and her pasterns seem long right now, however I believe she will grow into them. She has a friendly, curious disposition. I like her quite a lot... of course I was not supposed to get another horse for a year or so, which is my issue. I feel like she is nice enough to not let her slip by...Any thoughts? Thanks! (Unfortunately no pics because she is not mine!)

I'm not familiar with the dam's TB lines, but Mystic's speak for themselves.

As for the filly herself, yearlings are notorious for being just down right fugly! Pieces and parts all shifting. Breeders always joke about hiding their 1 and 2 y.o.!

I much prefer a youngster to toe out slightly. At they grow and develop and their chests broaden, the front legs straighten. Of course, the opposite is also true...one that toes in as a baby will really toe in as an adult. If there is height in the bloodlines, I don't tend to worry too much about longish pasterns and they do tend to grow into them. In fact I have a 2 y.o. whose pasterns were a bit worrisome last winter, who is now going through a major growth spurt and is growing into them just fine.
    www.debracysporthorses.com
    Home of Sea Accounts xx
    AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
    "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

Have you know any Mystic Replica offspring? what are they like? I am not at all worred about the toeing out either. She has a forward broken axis between her pastern angle and her front feet but my farrier says he can fix it at this stage. Thanks so much for the reply! She should be pretty big. Her dam has had giant babies.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Mr. Leader is the sire of dams of two event horses. One is Rowdie Jo Adams's horse, No Money Down. That horse won a CIC 1* last year. The other was the dam of Strong Leader, a stallion who has been used in Sweden to produce SWBs who have evented, show jumped, and gone dressage. His son, Bally's Geronimo, was a WEG and Olympic horse for Sweden. Strong Leader's son Hopalong Cassidy xx is approved SWB, Zangersheide, NRPS and KWPN.

Carry Back isn't listed in the database that I use for FEI results. Neither is Redeem, but Tom Fool is one of the best. He's got 17 sons and daughters with eventing descendants. You don't need to worry about either Prince Rose or Ritz's Legend or Nearco; and while Battlefield has no descendants in the database (which is not completely reliable for older TB lines), War Relic is one of the best. One of Battlefield's daughters was dam of a TB stallion by RAN named Raisingelle who was used quite a bit in SF breeding. Battlefield was also the sire of Patelin, a very good mare line for racing. Dark Display is Display, so no worries there, and her dam is Dark Ronald granddaughter from the German stallion Traumer. Traumer himself has no descendants listed in the database. Niccolo Dell' Arca is also an extremely good sport horse line, although you have to go back more than three generations to find modern FEI Level sport horse descendants. His sire was Coronach, who was also the grandsire of Heraldik, and his dam was Nogara, Nearco's dam. Balladier is excellent, but the tail female is somewhat less than impressive. Very regional breeding in the last two generations (Indiana for Justadottie's dam) and the female family is 12-b.

If the foal has a good body and brain, it has the genetics to back it up. It has enough Dark Ronald scattered through the pedigree that the genes for good movement might well be there. Both BeauPere and Dark Loveliness are Dark Ronald line, and I think I may have found another, but can't remember where. There is some Gainsborough through Niccolo Dell'Arca. Gainsborough is Bayardo, and that's Bay Ronald, Dark Ronald's sire--and German WBs are packed with Bay Ronald.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Thanks so much Viney Ridge! I must say I was hoping you would chime in as I consider you to be an expert on the subject of TB bloodlines. The filly has a very tractable personality. I saw her as a young foal and at 3 and six months. she was always balanced and a nice mover at these phases...of course, not so much during this awkward phase!

And you can't deny Turn-to. He's dished out Hail to Reason and Sir Gaylor who both seem to be in the pedigrees of nice show hunters.

to put it into prespective:
    in one year say you dish out 5K on this mare growing her. Then you'll have to wait another year for backing.
    If you save your pennies in 2 years you would have 10K.
    could you find such a horse then for 10K that is a 4 or 5 year old?

that's the big question. : )
    also, a baby gives you something to play with now.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Thanks PN! Honestly, I don't really think I could get her as a 4-5 year old for 10K...she's pretty nice (as long as the front feet can be fixed!)