The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up Hunt Night/Warrenton Horse Show

I saw many of you there last night but alas...I didn't stay to the end so don't know who won the Corinthian class and hunt teams and overall championship. Anyone know?!!
    I just can't keep up with that crowd like I used too!!
    I thought it was a HUGE crowd. Parking was all gone early! whew!!
    Only 2 brave masters in the Mfh class!
    Won by Jean Clark of Casanova. LOVED that white horse that won the gentlemens hack! Congrats to Penny Denegre Mfh/Middleburg for winning the side saddle division. A legend!
    Anyone know any class results?

I liked the staff class the best....especially the "Hurricane Cleanup" kind of jump!! (verticle with branches all around & hanging from it that needed clearing before jumping it!) They had a gait, a holler, whipcrack. Won by a guy from Piedmont w/Mike Brown, huntsman,Rappahannock second.

The little girl Lizzie/Lizzy (sp?) from Keswick won the Corinthian class. (I guess she's really not so little anymore, but I remember her each year in doing the team class with her dad, and she was so little the first time I saw her! lol) She rode beautifully and beat out some fine competition. We had to leave before the end of the hunt team class, so I'm not sure who won beyond that. Mostly likely someone from Keswick - they seemed to dominate the show in attendance this year!

I agree with you about Gabby, the horse who won the gentleman's hack. Absolutely lovely, lovely horse. Was also a big fan of Richard Daley's Orion X. I can only dream that my horse will be half as talented someday!

Also, I do have some bad cell phone photos of the evening, but my prizes of the evening are the two cell phone video clips I got of Richard Daley and Orion X winning the staff class and most of Michael Brown's second place round. I'll see if I can get them uploaded to youtube or something. They're on Facebook, but I'll see what I can do about putting them on a more public forum!

Was it just me, or were there not as many hunts represented this year? As I said, there seemed to be LOTS of people from Keswick, which was fantastic, but I was surprised at the low numbers from some other teams. Also, the crowd didn't seem to be quite as big this year.

ETA: Here is the link to the videos. My apologies for any talking, but we couldn't help but "awwwwing" over how Orion X "helped" by trying to close the gate latch.

http://onlythedeepestred.wordpress.com/
    Last edited by see u at x; Sep. 6, 2011 at 10:05 AM.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

Quote Originally Posted by see u at x View Post
    Was it just me, or were there not as many hunts represented this year? As I said, there seemed to be LOTS of people from Keswick, which was fantastic, but I was surprised at the low numbers from some other teams. Also, the crowd didn't seem to be quite as big this year.
    The entries were definitely down. The show hasn't run that quickly in my memory of the past 7 years!

Personally, I only did 4 classes, and not the sidesaddle, as the judge did not seem favorably disposed towards my pinto. Mr. SSR only did a few early classes on my other mare, as they weren't getting along (it was his first time showing her, and she is a bit green in the show ring). Ah well, c'est la vie. We will be back next year, and I will let him ride my packer show/hunt horse.
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

Quote Originally Posted by SidesaddleRider View Post
    The entries were definitely down. The show hasn't run that quickly in my memory of the past 7 years!

Personally, I only did 4 classes, and not the sidesaddle, as the judge did not seem favorably disposed towards my pinto. Mr. SSR only did a few early classes on my other mare, as they weren't getting along (it was his first time showing her, and she is a bit green in the show ring). Ah well, c'est la vie. We will be back next year, and I will let him ride my packer show/hunt horse.
    SSR, I'm glad you posted, because I really wanted to compliment your husband on what a lovely job he did in handling your young chestnut mare. She was obviously a little nervous and he rode her with a great deal of patience and persistence - my friend and I were so impressed by that. A lot of people wouldn't have handled it nearly so well. And in spite of how the judge might feel towards your pinto mare, she is still utterly stunning and is always such a good girl for you every time I've seen you show her!
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

Thumbs down Hate that!

I second that!
    Paint discrimination?!!! Why I oughta.....
    How can a foxhunting class judge be that way?!!! Fooey on them! Fooey I say!!
    Is Fooey still a word I wonder?

Quote Originally Posted by SidesaddleRider View Post

uh oh, I expected a full report from you... yet my email inbox is empty????

First, may I say it was a pleasure, as always, to see the effervescent and piquant Watery Glen at hunt night.

Horse show results:

http://www.horseshowsonline.com/ClassResults.aspx

(look up individual classes rather than the division.)

Also, for Facebook users, Liz Callar has posted some pix on her page and the Warrenton Horse Show page has some others.

Regards,
    Holdhard, a vapid and frivolous wastrel

The haflinger in the ladies' hack class made my day!

Beaus mom

I hunt with that horse and rider. Don't you just want to scoop up that Haffie and take him home? The owner is super nice. One of my horses is 17.2h and when I ride him beside the Haffie it's rather comical.

SSR... The judge isn't disposed towards color? What a shame.

I'd like to take the big horse next year.

Wateryglen, I saw you and meant to come over but you disappeared and then I couodnt find you. I stayed until the very end. It was nice to wrap up before the roosters started crowing!!!
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

I went to the Warrenton Horse Show page but didn't see any results for the hunt night............... and the gallery doesn't seem to have any pictures. I heard my friend Cathy Chambers did really well with Oscar and I was hoping to check it out. Did any one see her? REALLY BIG, really nice bay gelding. I know she won the hack and did well in the over fences classes.

equinedriver- we saw her! She did a lovely job, and that horse is one incredible beast.

wateryglen-- missed seeing you, must have been the haze that night. Erm, well the merlot induced haze anyway.

The haffie and rider-- I've hunted with her for 3 years- she is a wonderful woman, and those two are just like peas and carrots.

SSR-- I always feel like I'm watching rock stars when you and your husband ride!!! Hope to see you next year in the sidesaddle class--damn the pinto haters and full speed ahead! And.... I'm picking up my hunt whip from the engraver tomorrow!!! Yes, the one I bought from you!

Quote Originally Posted by TimelyImpulse View Post
    SSR-- I always feel like I'm watching rock stars when you and your husband ride!!! Hope to see you next year in the sidesaddle class--damn the pinto haters and full speed ahead! And.... I'm picking up my hunt whip from the engraver tomorrow!!! Yes, the one I bought from you!
    Aw, shucks. Very sweet of you.
    Here is a link to my pinto girl: http://www.lizcallar.com/p/warrenton...1/dsc_8446_9_8
    She just jumps terribly, doesn't she?

I am so glad you like the hunt whip!

What's your secret on getting the white so white??? Bluing just isn't doing it for the clay stained high whites on my horse.

Nice horse!!!!!
    -Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    What's your secret on getting the white so white??? Bluing just isn't doing it for the clay stained high whites on my horse.
    I never use bluing or a shampoo like QuicSilver on my horses. Rather, I have a two-step process which I have found to be more effective at getting the white clean:

1. Clean white markings with Orvus paste shampoo (the cow stuff). I don't use a sponge, but rather apply it directly to wet hair with my hand and then scrub in with my fingernails, making sure to get under the hair to the skin. Rinse.

2. Spray Simple Green on any heavily stained areas. Let the SG sit for 1-2 minutes. Wash off. (The SG is all-natural and gentle on skin, but VERY effective on dirt, so don't worry about your horse having a reaction to it)

If your horse is REALLY stained from the clay, then you have two options: 1) do the two steps above, but do it every day for a week or so; or 2) clip off the leg hair first with a pair of body clippers, and then do the two steps above.

I know nothing about sidesaddle so this may be a really stupid question...

What are the white gloves for? I see them tucked in the offside saddle flap on a couple of the photos.

Thanks for the advice, SSR. Opening of Cubbing is this Saturday and Lurch is looking mighty dingy. If it EVER stops raining he'll get a good scrubbing.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by gypsymare View Post
    I know nothing about sidesaddle so this may be a really stupid question...

What are the white gloves for? I see them tucked in the offside saddle flap on a couple of the photos.
    Those are rain gloves. They are a required appointment for the u/s class, and are to be tucked under the offside billets, thumbs together, fingers forward. During hunting, if it starts pouring and your leather gloves get wet, the reins can slide through your hands (remember, smooth leather -- no lacing), so you would pull out your rain gloves and put them on, and voila! you had grip again. If you are riding astride, you would tuck one glove under the billets on each side of the saddle, for an appointments class.

Talking woops!

Sorry I missed ya'll....sometimes I am SUCH the hunt snob!!!
    But I AM effervescent and piquant!!

I see that the Snobbington Hunt did well that night too!! Goodie!!

Who was the whip on the chestnut with white socks? Loved his seat and hands, what a great pair they were - I was just yapping too much and missed most of the announcing...