The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Dog Kennels - Need one.

So occasionally when I am at work, and dog can't hang at the parents, dog has to stay at home. Dog could stay in yard, except dog digs out and I live near a busy road.

So I got a dog kennel.

He digs (remember?) so I couldn't put the dog kennel on the nice green grass, I had to put down wire fencing on the ground, then put patio stones on top to give him a nice surface to walk on.

It was all good for a couple of years (kennel is 10x10, so adequate for one dog) until last night.

He ate it.
    http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p.../HoleFence.jpg

Any suggestions on dog kennels?

Edited to add: By a "couple of years" I mean like 10 years.
    Last edited by naters; Sep. 2, 2011 at 10:36 AM.
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

Why is he digging or chewing out? Is he bored? Is he panicking?

I would address whatever issue is causing the behavior...

It's not a run, but, per the description was designed "to be the Alcatraz of pet cages": http://www.petedge.com/product/Home-.../502/45512.uts

My parents have kennel run that looks like yours (I think it was because of a storm phobic German Wirehaired Pointer) - it was patched (heavily) with sheet metal of some sort.

I have one that you can have! For free! It has a solid bottom to it made of non-wood decking material - like trex. No way he could dig out of it or eat it. Sides are metal . It's about 6' by 12'. We don't have a dog anymore. Problem is we are in Massachusetts. We'll be putting it on Craigslist as a giveaway.

Correction - sides are metal bars, vertical. I really don't think he could eat his way out of this one.

olivereed: That may be a potential option, boyfriends family lives in CT, may be able to get up there at sometime. Can you send me a picture? Will PM you my email addy.

I was also thinking something like this, and putting the patio stones on the ground:
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_356444-1298-...nel&facetInfo=
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

Except that one is 1500 bucks. The one I saw that was welded is like 369.00

Don't know what the difference is, or why that one is 1500 dollars??

I have an AKC brand kennel that looks just like that except its galvanized and doesn't have the cover. I got it at TSC for around $350. It works fine for me but then my standard dachshie isn't much for eating kennels. My kennel is on a concrete slab and has a shade cloth over it.

Too bad you are not in East Texas. Somebody on the way to the barn has their welded steel dog kennel for sale in their front yard. It's East Texas, I bet you could get it cheap.
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Why is he digging or chewing out? Is he bored? Is he panicking?

I would address whatever issue is causing the behavior...
    This.
    Random horse pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/glfprncs/
    Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!
    My blog! http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com/

Why can't he just stay inside in a crate instead?

Quote Originally Posted by glfprncs View Post
    This.

Got it. Man, how I missed COTH.

But in the interim, if you have a recommendation for a brand of dog kennel (to keep the thread on topic), that would be great. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Frivian View Post
    Why can't he just stay inside in a crate instead?

He can.

But at this time, I am looking for an outdoor kennel, approximately 10x10, or 12x12 if you know of a good brand, that would be great. Thanks!

Um, we're not trying to be assholes here. If your dog is eating through pens, he will DESTROY his teeth.

There are some really not difficult and not expensive ways to help him, depending on what's going on. I went through some of this just recently with my dog, and got a lot of very helpful suggestions on how to help her. She no longer chews on her pen, she's no longer hammering her teeth and she's just a happier dog.

I'm not saying you are being a jerk.

And I appreciate your concern for the dog. I have always respected your knowledge, Simkie.

I was just saying that I am looking for a replacement dog kennel. I appreciate your concern, but I didn't feel like typing everything out except "looking for dog kennel" yesterday.

Essentially, dog is a happy and well adjusted dog. Stays inside/outside goes places with me, stays alone, can be crated, can be left loose inside, and can (at least for the last ten years) be left alone in the kennel.

He occasionally back in the day would dig out of the back yard (before the kennel days) to hang out on the front porch of the house and wait for me to get back. (We have spied on him in the past and know this to be the case). Although he didn't really go anywhere, we do live in city limits, off a busy road and I just didn't want to risk it.

He has had the same kennel (which is used a few times a week for about 4 hours at a time) for about 10 years. Never had a problem with it until the other day. One issue in literally ten years.

Our rear neighbors had an isolated "incident" Wednesday, that I think spawned this randomness.

I don't expect this to happen again. However, because we live near a busy road, it is imperative to me that on the off chance something ever did happen again, that my dog be 100% contained.

Again, I don't see this happening ever again, but if it did, I would worry about his teeth second, and him getting hit by a car first.

Being as that he is a happy adjusted dog (except for this one incident in 10 years), I think he is fine, and I feel perfectly justified in just asking a simple product recommendation question without having to give a bunch of background.

Short of using wrought iron fencing panels (which might be your best bet?) or panels of solid sheet metal, I'm not sure if there's a guaranteed way of keeping him in. Or what about those full stall panels that are heavy duty mesh down to the ground?

The AKC brand kennel that I got from TSC should do the trick. It is made from welded wire, not chain link and the wire is welded to the frame. I don't think any dog could chew through it. I think the dimensions are 4'x12'x6'. It cost around $350. I think they do make a bigger model but I don't remember the cost. It wasn't $1500 though. I put a shade cloth over the top of mine. I put my standard male dachsie in it during the day when the weather is nice. Like your dog, he has been known to dig out of the back yard and go on walkabout so the kennel gives him a chance to stay outside in the fresh air when the weather is decent.

Looks like these are the AKC panels. You can build your own, but it's a bit wow on price!

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Looks like these are the AKC panels. You can build your own, but it's a bit wow on price!
    Check out the Best in Show panels. That's what I have. They aren't as pricey as the Professional panels and are galvanized, not powder coated but they are pretty good quality and would probably work for the OP.

I was gifted some of the same kind of panels some years ago, for the same reason, border collies got bored. First thing you need to do is turn the panel over so the hole is at the top. You can buy wire and weave the chain link back together if you like. I didn't bother as my jacks never got more than 3' up the 6' panel.

I just discovered elk antlers as chew toys and MY don't they make a difference. Try new toys (or combo's you haven't used in a while) to refocus your dog on proper appropriate chew toys. Kongs with cheese or pnut butter stuffed into them for example. And do try the antlers. Not cheap, but worth it!
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"