The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Cool DressageDaily Sales List Annoyance

It's not just DD that does this, but their's makes me crazier than others. Have you ever noticed that the advertised horses for sale (linked of the home page) are always SOLD? Seriously, why show them to me if I can't buy them? Then when you go through all their ads, most are sold. Really sucks. There has to be a better way for them to organize their sales ads and put more horses FOR SALE on the home page than those that are sold.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

I know right
    What's the use of featuring a sold horse?

It drives me crazy too - and it's more often than not the same sold horses over and over again. I wonder if Mary can change it to just to the horses that are NOT sold in that left hand "feature" box.
    Last edited by ise@ssl; Sep. 8, 2011 at 11:16 PM.
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
    It's not just DD that does this, but their's makes me crazier than others. Have you ever noticed that the advertised horses for sale (linked of the home page) are always SOLD? Seriously, why show them to me if I can't buy them? Then when you go through all their ads, most are sold. Really sucks. There has to be a better way for them to organize their sales ads and put more horses FOR SALE on the home page than those that are sold.
    Are you shopping for a horse?
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

I wonder if it is a sales ploy to attract advertiser to make them think that they have so many sales from their site? I have looked hard at advertising there but cannot justify the $200 when there is no search function. Hard to believe serious buyers will click endlessly through the 100 or so horses in my horse's range and read every ad looking for something in their criteria. Even searching by age/sex/more specific price range would help.

NJR, I think it is a marketing ploy, and it does make sense. However, they should also have a "Featured Horse" as well as a sold horse. A search function would be nice, too. Barring that, it would help if they narrowed down the price ranges of the horses to $10K increments rather than $20K. Otherwise, I think it's a good site. My only problem with it recently is that I don't see any links to videos the way I used to. Not sure if it's a function of the site or my computer. Although, moot point as I'm not shopping.
    Charter member of the I-Refuse-to-Relinquish-My-Whip Clique

Default I had e-mailed them.....

I actually e-mailed them last week to inquire about a better search function that allows you to search by state, price, etc and got a very nice e-mail back showing me a sneak peek of their new searchable sales site that they said will be up soon so that will certainly be handy.

I see the same thing happen with real estate. When the market is flat and there is very little selling, the brokers will fill up their ads with houses marked SOLD. I think that there are two reasons: (1) to attract sellers. After all the broker is paid by the seller not the buyer; and (2) they don't want to overexpose the item that has been on the market for a long time. Continuing to list something that is not selling just makes people think that either the sales medium is lousy or the product is lousy.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Tanyanoel
    they told me about that upcoming search option 6 months ago or so and said it would be up back then in the next few weeks. Never saw nor heard another thing about it. A sales site without search function lacks logic and success to me. Somehow has actually been successful without it. Good to know they finally have it under development now. Did they say when roll out date is?

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Quote Originally Posted by TheHorseProblem View Post
    Are you shopping for a horse?
    Window shopping at the moment, but when seriously shopping with students and friends in the past, this has made me nuts.

I've also thought that it helps them show that they can help people sell their horses since that's where the advertising dollars are coming from. But I really have to wonder how many are sold because of their site, and how many are simply marked as sold when they are removed from the market. Meaning, it really doesn't help people sell a horse when you can't search and find unsold horses very easily.

I also agree w/suzy. Making it $10k increments would be handier.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Default Soon :)

They just said it would be rolling out soon, that was end of last week.

It is especially annoying for those who pay to run sales ads on that site. I have an ad there now and even I had a lot of trouble finding it. And those ads are not cheap.
    Roseknoll Sporthorses
    www.roseknoll.net

They should also separate the horses according to their current level of training. The way it is now, you can have a 12yo schoolmaster and a 3yo with 'potential' for the same price.

Let me tell you, there's a whole lot wrong with Dressage Daily's advertising. For $200, you'd think you could change your pictures around. Nope, that's another $50. Their search function thoroughly stinks. I think DD might be great for people advertising 50k horses. But for your average seller, forget it. It's expensive and not worth the price.

I agree with all of the above complaints and I refuse to use DD any further. I think for $200 you should be able to update photos or anything without a $50 charge. It just makes the user feel like they are being taken advantage of. For this reason I now use Dressage Market, which is super affordable and you can make edits at any time for no fee. I have sold and found a horse through this site already. They also do a newsletter similar to DD but it has all new listings and no news articles.

Quote Originally Posted by DressageGL View Post
    I agree with all of the above complaints and I refuse to use DD any further. I think for $200 you should be able to update photos or anything without a $50 charge. It just makes the user feel like they are being taken advantage of. For this reason I now use Dressage Market, which is super affordable and you can make edits at any time for no fee. I have sold and found a horse through this site already. They also do a newsletter similar to DD but it has all new listings and no news articles.
    I am giving this one a try but have gotten nothing out of it so far compared to Dreamhorse and Horse Clicks (free)

Try Warmbloods-For-Sale.com!

Much better sales site. :-)

http://www.warmbloods-for-sale.com/
    www.sauconycreeksporthorses.com
    Dedicated to breeding Friesian Sporthorses
    with world class pedigrees and sport suitability

Quote Originally Posted by jdeboer01 View Post
    Try Warmbloods-For-Sale.com!

Much better sales site. :-)

http://www.warmbloods-for-sale.com/
    Yes, you can change the videos or photos and the ad runs a long time. I prefer search engines where you can search by radius instead of state but at least it has a search mechanism.

Yes, dressagemarket was a big waste of money. But you never know until you try I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by NJRider View Post
    Yes, dressagemarket was a big waste of money. But you never know until you try I guess.
    Sorry you didnt have the same great user experience I had with Dressage Market. I was just wondering how it was a big waste of money if their ads are only $30 or did you mean Dressage Daily Horse market at $200? They are 2 different websites and was just confused when you stated that.

Thumbs up As An Actively Searching Shopper...

I have been extremely pleased with Dressagemarket.com. I have friends who have advertised their horses and have been quite pleased. I definitely prefer it to DD and it's nice to have a site with just dressage horses!
    Beth