The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default My poor kitty had 3 teeth pulled

My 8 year old cat was acting strange last week. Went off his food for two days and then got better. Over the weekend things went downhill. His chin became a little swollen and he was drooling. I knew things weren't going well when on Sunday I found him hiding in an empty cupboard in our basement.

Took him to the vet Monday morning and found a couple teeth that didn't look good. His teeth were in good shape except the very back molars had some tartar on them. So they put him under and found 3 cracked teeth! One was a molar so it had to be surgically removed. Now how does a cat crack his teeth? He is mostly an indoor cat but does occasionally go out and tries mousing. He used to be a very good barn mouser but the last couple of years he would rather stay inside.

Brought kitty home and he is recuperating but is still hiding in the cupboard coming out only for meals and an occasional meow and a brief visit. Hiding is so unlike him. Is this a sign of pain? He eats his food and dashes off and run backs to his cupboard. He is on soft food for now and wonder if he will be able to eat dry food again?

One of my kitties has had some teeth removed despite only being a couple years old, I blame it on the fact he is from West Virginia. did the vet give you any pain meds? He should be on pain meds until he is comfortable. I would think the hiding is a sign of discomfort. Call your vet and see if you can get him some bup-something, it comes in a syringe, you give it every 8 hours and made my kitty much happier if a bit dopey. He was on them for about a week.

After about a week my kitty was comfortable eating dry food. He lets me know he would prefer I keep feeding him the wet stuff, though, with loud YOWLS by the pantry at feeding time.

Oh poor kitty! Not all teeth are created equal - some are very hard, some not so. If he crunched down on a piece of particularly hard dry food, or a mouse bone, just the wrong way, he could have cracked something.

Agree on the pain meds - if he's not on any, ask for them

Could he be hiding because he is scared of whatever cracked his teeth? Maybe he fell of something when jumping and lost his balance or maybe he ran into something and he is now scared Pretty sad though!!
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by fordtraktor View Post
    Call your vet and see if you can get him some bup-something, it comes in a syringe, you give it every 8 hours and made my kitty much happier if a bit dopey. He was on them for about a week.
    Buprenorphine. Good stuff for kitties.
    And three teeth, one surgical, is a fair bit of dentistry. If he is eating and talking to you, I'd bet he'll be out as soon as the surgical pain is gone.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

Thanks GypsyQ, couldn't remember the full name but Dempsey tells me it is definitely good stuff!

I doubt it was really a crack as in fracture from trauma. Google FORL, they were probably resorbtive lesions. My guess is its just easier to tell a client they were cracked than explain a more complex physiological process.

Regardless he'll be much better now that there out, and he'll probably be eating dry food within a couple days or less. Anyone who has picked up cat pike on a regular basis knows they hardly chew anyways !

How is kitty?

Default My poor kitty had 3 teeth pulled - Update

Kitty is back to his usual self.

Stopped by the vet on my way home last Tuesday and picked up some pain meds. Can't remember the name of the pills off the top of my head but it made him foam at the mouth pretty bad. But 30 minutes later he started eating canned and a lot of it.

I tried the pills a couple more times and the poor thing gagged and foamed so bad that I stopped. Talked to the vet and she said I could pick up something else but it seemed he no longer needed them. I think with a little time and he figured out he could eat canned food without too much pain he was back to eating. He has tried eating his Blue Buffalo dry food a few times and either swallows it hole or it gets stuck and he spits it out.

Any suggestions on a softer type dry food? He is loving getting canned all the time now but I worry about him turning in to blimp. I've tried the healthy expensive canned but he will only eat the cheap Fancy Feast brand.

My vet extracted three molars from my 16 year old cat this spring. She had metacam for a few days afterwards and we kept her on Fancy Feast to beef her up a little bit- it is high in carbs. The dental seemed to take her condition down a little bit. Within a couple weeks she was eating the regular dry food again with no concerns. I bet your kitty will bounce back here pretty quickly.

My poor guy has congenitally bad teeth -- we knew he was in trouble by the time he was 2 -- and had a whole bunch of them out a few years ago (like 11!!!). He was one miserable kitty for a few days, even including the pain meds...

vet predicted he'd be able to eat his kibble once recovered even without all those teeth...

pudgy guy was discovered to be eating the 85 lb DOG's food the next winter -- these are HUGE kibbles!!!

He is actually on a diet now that is high protein wet food (and not much of it), and has lost weight ....

so
    don't worry about the eating part; once healed, they do fine!
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

Most cats will eat their usual food the next day unless they're very painful. Buprenex is indeed that cat's best friend. As for it by name!

I would not worry about his appetite. He was eating with those teeth for quite awhile, most likely, and once they heal up (think 5-7 days tops) he'll feel better.

Nothing wrong with Fancy Feast if that's what he'll eat. The ingredient label isn't bad - primarily meat protein with some "by products" (essentially, organ meat. By products are not feet, feathers and hair like some would lead you to believe)

Don't feel bad. I found a fractured tooth in my own cat when I went to do a routine cleaning this year. No outward symptoms at all.

Hope kitty feels better soon,,
    m

er, that's "ASK for it by name!"...