The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default PLACED (Update post #25)9 Yr Old Race/War Veteran: Earned 300K/Yet No Retirement Fund

***In NEWARK, NY***
    I am hoping to permanently place this guy in a home where he will be safe, cared for, appreciated, and allowed to "just be" a horse in retirement.
    Out From Africa earned approximately $300,000 in 7 years of racing. He has been through several hands and for the last 5 years has been grinding out the paychecks in a particularly unsympathetic environment. Recently he fell down after a race (for the 2nd time) and was barred from competing at the track. His then current owner/trainer no longer had any use for him and was going to have a vet at the track put him down.

Out From Africa is a 9 yr old dark bay/brown TB gelding by Cape Town, out of a Mr Leader mare; noble bloodlines. He ran in Canada and the U.S. in stakes, handicaps, allowance races, and claimers. He won 12 races, never having any real time off (except during the cold NY winters), and showed up for nearly every "dance". Over time he started to bite. He threatened to kick if they tried to touch him in the wrong place (and you can be sure he was "touched" in the wrong places). Africa was not what you'd call a happy horse. He began to crib. He started getting unruly in the saddling paddock for the afternoon races making it a chore for the valets to tack him. He hated his owner/trainer (the trainer told me that himself). Finally Africa even refused to let the trainer put the bridle on him anymore (someone else always had to do it). This big, dark horse did all he could to let everyone know that he didn't want to race anymore. On one afternoon he pitched a particularly big fit while getting saddled for the race. But after 10 minutes of antics, they eventually got him tacked and sent him out to run again. So he ran. Again. And he bled. Again. He'd tried to tell everyone that he didn't want to run. But they hadn't listened. So now he got listed as a 2nd time bleeder and his trainer had to give him a mandatory break from racing. It was a few months before he ran. But he did run again. And again. And again. If horses could speak, I wonder what kind of language he would have used... He was such an honest horse. He would definitely let them know how he felt, but once he got on the track he would give it his all. "Heart" they say... He has "heart". The last time he ran he gave his all again. He was in 2nd place when he fell down at the finish line. This time it was the real finish line. HE was finished. There was speculation that he held his breath & ran out of air; or perhaps had a heart arrhythmia which surfaced under extreme exertion. Ironic - that word "heart" again... Whatever the cause, there was no need for tests because he was all done.
    Out From Africa was at the end of the line. The adoption center didn't want him because he was older, and he cribbed, and was a generally unhappy horse with a presumably nasty disposition. "Heart" wasn't really a consideration. I got word that the adoption center was trying to contact the breeder to see if they would take him. But there was not enough time. I heard myself say "well, I'll take him". It kinda just slipped out.

So Africa came to my place. I didn't know what to do with him but I knew he'd have a soft landing and some time to breathe and be a horse. And that's what he's doing. He has come so far in just a couple of months. At first I left his stall door open so he could come & go as he pleased. For a while he spent most of his days in his stall as though it gave him a sense of security. Over time he went outside more & more, and eventually integrated into the herd. These days he nickers when I come out (especially if he thinks there's food involved), and follows me around a bit in the pasture (making it hard to get photos). He's kind of on the fringe with the other horses as though he's okay staying on the sidelines. But he and the lone mare have become fast friends and while they stay together most of the time, he seems content even when they are not.
    I tacked him up & rode him in the round pen and around the pasture a couple of times - just to see if he'd let me. He did let me. And he was very quiet. I try not to touch him in the wrong places and I give him time to see that I mean him no harm when I'm doing things with him. He actually seems like a gentle wise old soul. He hasn't forgotten the bad stuff. But I think he knows I didn't do it. he lets me put fly spray on him now without tying him up as long as I have one hand touching him softly while I do it. He's learning to trust I think. And he's already learned to be happy. Or at least content. And isn't that what we all want?
    Please, if there's someone who can give this guy what he needs for the rest of his life please contact me. He is safe with me for now. But I get laid off every winter and I worry about the expense of taking care of another TB that I never really planned for. As long as he's here he will be loved. But if at some point euthanasia becomes my only choice, I want to have at least given him the chance with someone else first. I still plan to contact his breeders but haven't done so yet.
    With all the money this horse made for others, it's a crime that there's none for his own retirement.
    I'll try to post a link here to his facebook album:
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...0c721a5&type=1
    Last edited by CharingHounds; Nov. 14, 2011 at 06:17 PM. Reason: location added

OP, you are a great person!

I have 5 here, one retired, the other 4 rescued and living out their lives. The inn is full. They are grateful, in their own ways. Bless you for taking him.
    " ...the mist parted, and there was a green land under a swift sunrise." J.R.R. Tolkien, Return of the King

Default Can you get him here?

And I have no doubt lost my mind. He looks like my old horse, Tuff, who I lost 2 yrs ago on Sept 11, at the age of 27. An old track campaigner, he transitioned into a show hunter and did the Intercollegiate stuff til he aged out.
    Grumpy, opinionated, herd boss til the last month he lived. Is buried up on the hill he loved near the fat Haffie we lost a year ago.

I have 40 acres of Kentucky grass, oversized stalls, and one other horse. He could have a nice retirement here I think.

I will have to clear this with DH, but..... might be doable.

1 members found this post helpful.

2ndyr and Charing.

You are awesome. This post choked me up. I have a HUGE soft spot for these war horses.
    Two in the barn right now. Total races between them? 114. Both raced until they were 8.

Geez. Bless you and thank you for this.
    My big man - April 27, 1986 - September 04, 2008-
    You're with me every moment, my big red horse.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting a battle of some kind.

OP, I'll donate some $ to help with gas if you can get him to Ky to 2indygal.

Just PM me if it is a go.

I'm boarding my horse and his wife (took her in in June so she wouldn't go some place bad) so I cannot afford a 3rd. But I can throw some $ in for gas/transport.

I remember this fellow at the track and on the backside. Thank you for giving him a soft spot to land.

PMs sent.

Thank you for helping him. Hope the new home works out !

Heard back from the breeder. He & his wife live VERY far away, and he's done all he can. He actually sent a check to the adoption center back when they let him know the horse was safe (?).
    Still hoping someone is interested. He enjoyed a nice, long bath today. Wasn't thrilled with the hose, but actually leaned into me when I scrubbed back & forth with the sponge. Eventually was able to really rub his face and ears (once he decided he liked it)! I'm hoping to take him out for a trail ride soon and see how he likes it. Will update.

Quote Originally Posted by charlieo View Post
    They are grateful, in their own ways.
    Well said charlieo.

This is so sad. This needs to go out as an article so every horse/race enthusiast can read it.
    How cruel.
    Thank god you rescued him.
    I have four old guys that were left here and two boarders who quit paying, so I can't help. well... maybe a little to get him to KY?

Bumping up for this guy.

One of my boarders sounds like this horse. I will say he is my favorite in the barn. He's had a rough life, and will meet aggression with aggression; on the other hand, he meets kindness with extraordinary kindness and gentleness.

Any news? Bumping for him. Two warhorses in my barn now.

Another bump for this guy

Maybe someone headed to the National Horse Show could give this boy a ride to 2ndyrgal?? Maybe post about a ride needed in the Hunters forum?
    "To understand the soul of a horse is the closest human beings can come to knowing perfection."

Thanks for the bumps guys. So far no one followed up on giving him a home. That's understandable as it's a big commitment. If the right home does come along I think I could find a way to take care of (at least most of) the shipping $.

Believe me, if I could take care of him the way he deserved, I'd take him in a heart beat. Thank you so much for everything you are doing for him, I only wish I could help Fingers crossed he finds a good home.

Bump!

Birmingham area, AL... i.e. crispy crunchy everything land!

Stories like his break my heart. If we owned our farm and weren't leasing it, I'd be tempted to offer a home, but our life next year is too uncertain to take in another. Someday when my fiance and I both finish our PhDs, I'm going to give him headaches with the amount of rescue horses I start bringing home Bless you for giving this boy a new chance at life, and I hope someone comes along that can take him the next steps of the way!
    When life throws you lemons, put on your best Asian accent and scream "Faaack yuuuu Rehmooohns!" (says yours truly, the half-Japanese kid )

My Pony Blog Dressage & My Horsey Life