The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Spinoff of Itchy Scalp thread: Itchy Legs?

I have to have the itchiest legs in the WORLD! I moisturize, have switched to sensitive skin Dove soap, tried to see what it was like if I didn't shave...everything! They are constantly itchy, and it's really become a problem. I've even been prescribed extra strength hydrocortizone cream, to no avail. There's no red bumps or anything, they look normal. Just ITCHY!

Does anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyPony View Post
    In all my years of riding, gravity is the one thing that has never failed on me!

Two Thoughts:

1: In 1991 my eldest daughter (6 yo at the time) went to overnight Girl Scouts camp. I was then a few weeks pregnant (don't ask) and going through an acromonious divorce. DD and I often slept together because it was easier to heat one bedroom. It was not until youngest daughter was 2 weeks old...and developed huge welts on her back...that we could get a diagnosis, and that was from the pediatritian: SCABIES. Seems there was an outbreak at the GS camp during the summer Meg went to camp, but NO ONE told our troop. We saw a total of 6 different doctors for diagnosis and treatment prior and NOBODY realized what it was.

2: Every summer the front of my shins itched like the devil, ever since I burned them so badly while sitting for 6 hours by a pool during one hot, sunny Saturday (oh, foolish youth!). I've given up washing with anything but baby wash, which helped until the very dryest part of winter (central heating). A daily Fish Oil capsule (Omega-3) has taken care of even that.

I have the same problem!

It has died down some.

I use antibacterial Dial soap before I shave my legs with shave gen for sensitive skin. After that I moisturize with Advance Therapy lotion by Suave. I have a few other organic all natural lotions and whatnot but the Suave works well and is cheaper.

I try wearing shorts more around the house and I only use free and gentle (or free and clear) by Tide or All for detergents. Same goes for dryer sheets.

Quote Originally Posted by ThoroughbredFancy View Post
    I have the same problem!

It has died down some.

I use antibacterial Dial soap before I shave my legs with shave gen for sensitive skin. After that I moisturize with Advance Therapy lotion by Suave. I have a few other organic all natural lotions and whatnot but the Suave works well and is cheaper.

I try wearing shorts more around the house and I only use free and gentle (or free and clear) by Tide or All for detergents. Same goes for dryer sheets.
    I like the Dial suggestions-thanks!

I'm using Aveeno lotion, nice and natural with oatmeal to help soothe. I also use the free and clear detergent, my whole family is sensitive

Hope I can find some relief soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyPony View Post
    In all my years of riding, gravity is the one thing that has never failed on me!