The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    In my car, between work, home, and the barn!

Default Getting a new kitty - what am I forgetting? UPDATE post 22 - Welcome, kitty!

I've had cats before, but it's been a long time. After several pet-less years (rental house), we've finally bought our own little place and are ready to start slowly acquiring the family zoo.

We'll be getting a cat this week from the kill shelter in the next county - we have young children, and will be looking for a quiet adult cat. Having kept none of my "cat stuff," I got to go shopping today, and wonder what I've forgotten... help me out!

I've got a carrier, cat tree, scratcher (a neat little curvy carpet and sisal thingy), covered litterbox and litter, a few toys, nail trimmers and file, dishes, some treats... I settled on Wellness salmon dry food, but got the small bag so if that doesn't sit well with kitty we can try something else. We'll be visiting the vet within a few days for a general check-up and microchip...

Am I forgetting anything obvious? I'm a few years out of practice being a kitty mom (but gosh darn it, I'm so excited to end the pet-less streak, finally)!
    Last edited by MommaMare; Aug. 24, 2011 at 01:37 PM.

Do you have a scooper for the litter box?

I don't see anything obvious omitted in your list otherwise. Congrats on your new kitty!!

Hmmmmm..........I'm thinking (and looking around my house!), but I can't think of anything else you need. A bed, maybe? Some sort of "hide in it" toy? My cats LOOOOOOOOVE these cheap, cloth fold-up cubes from Walmart. They're like this: http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/sna...363457-product
    except mine are cloth, not nylon. I can't find them on the Walmart site.

Those cubes are great! If you can't find them immediately, a box taped shut with a hole cut in it works great too, but gets rather beat-up.

Even a simple cardboard box is a great toy. I always have one around for my cats to sit in and play in. Lowers the "tone" of the house, but it's free and they love it.
    I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

Hopefully the covered litter box has a removable cover, as not all kitties like being enclosed to do their thing.

Be ready to try a few different litters

You need tinfoil. Tinfoil balls make awesome kitty toys!

I agree with those cubes - they ROCK!

SO happy you are getting an adult kitty!!! They really need homes

If you haven't considered feeding all wet, you might want to As a former dry ultra-premium food feeder, I am SUCH a convert now and I cannot believe the difference in my cats. www.catinfo.org for more info about why it's best.

Let's see here...what else did I need when I brought home an adult cat from the shelter? Perhaps a brush? Kittens don't shed for awhile, but the grown ups will need a good brushing every now and then, especially this time of year. A laser pointer? Hours of amusement! A hidey-hole sort of bed can also be really nice, especially for an adult kitty that might just need some time alone every now and then. If you've got kids, the fishing pole type toys can be a GREAT way to get them to play with the new kitty, and few cats can resist them!

OH. And CATNIP. A must have!

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    You need tinfoil. Tinfoil balls make awesome kitty toys!
    Mind = blown. I thought my boyfriend was the only person who did this.

But you know what's even better? Cat hair balls. Take a pile of hair you've combed off the cat and roll it in your palms until it's felted and about the size of a golf ball, or a little smaller. They bounce a bit when they're tight enough, and my cats GO CRAZY for them. Even the cat who is just too good to play with toys turns into a raving lunatic chasing them around!

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    If you haven't considered feeding all wet, you might want to As a former dry ultra-premium food feeder, I am SUCH a convert now and I cannot believe the difference in my cats. www.catinfo.org for more info about why it's best.
    Yes, if you can at all swing feeding all or at least largely wet food, do that. Cats are not, by nature, big drinkers, and dehydration, even if it's mild but chronic, is a common problem, and it can easily lead to UTI issues with the boys. Dry food does not, contrary to popular belief, keep teeth clean(er). For one, they often don't really chew, just a bite if necessary to get it small enough to swallow. But what they might chew is generally "sticky" when mixed with saliva and can just stick to the bottom of the teeth at the gumline.

A laser pointer? Hours of amusement!

A hidey-hole sort of bed can also be really nice, especially for an adult kitty that might just need some time alone every now and then. If you've got kids, the fishing pole type toys can be a GREAT way to get them to play with the new kitty, and few cats can resist them!
    Great ideas!

OH. And CATNIP. A must have!
    Like...duh! LOLOL

Mind = blown. I thought my boyfriend was the only person who did this.
    Wow, really? I've done this for *years*! It's so amusing to move a couch, or look behind/under the fridge, and find 800 tinfoil balls, because ya know, when one disappears it's just easier to make another one We have all sizes too. My black torti kitty only likes small ones - small grape size. But the boy-cat, and the new tabby torti kitten, like BIG ones.

But you know what's even better? Cat hair balls. Take a pile of hair you've combed off the cat and roll it in your palms until it's felted and about the size of a golf ball, or a little smaller. They bounce a bit when they're tight enough, and my cats GO CRAZY for them. Even the cat who is just too good to play with toys turns into a raving lunatic chasing them around!
    Ok now that's cool, I'll have to see of the dog hair will do that. That's MUCH more readily available

funny you mention that - after JB died, I washed his turnout sheet. It's an old Miller Everest, and has a mesh lining. I felt this lump down in one corner where the bottom was lined with about 6" or so of nylon. A big hair ball had formed and was stuck. I still have that, sitting at the back of a shelf in the bathroom LOL I'm not sure I could bring myself to let a kitty play with that though But a dog hair ball? Heck yeah!

We do have a laser pointer, which so far has done a great job of keeping DH amused. And the cat tree has a hidey-hole place. Plenty of tin foil, check!

I'll look into the wet food. And I'll come back with a pic of the new kitteh!

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Yes, if you can at all swing feeding all or at least largely wet food, do that. Cats are not, by nature, big drinkers, and dehydration, even if it's mild but chronic, is a common problem, and it can easily lead to UTI issues with the boys.
    No to mention chronic renal failure for either gender

Ok now that's cool, I'll have to see of the dog hair will do that. That's MUCH more readily available
    Any sort of soft undercoat hair should do it! The stiffer guard hairs don't work well at all.

I got the idea after reading about an etsy seller who made the balls of fur into....JEWELRY. Seriously. But she talked about how she made the balls for her cat to play with before she got THAT idea.

I get balls of hair for the critters to bat around...but for me to wear? I think I'll pass!

(PS: look at HOW MUCH it COSTS! ZOMG)

A good comb, one that can remove undercoat, is good to have. For my long hairs, I have a comb with dual levels of teeth. For my DSH, the Furminator is his fave. I also have a very soft brush, that puts the polish on after combing.

Flea control, like Advantage.

The round disc with the ball in it for them to chase around is popular.

The best toys are the ones they decide are toys. Paint brushes are quite popular in my home. Plastic tooth picks with the floss built in are my youngest kittehs favorite (weird, huh?).

Kudos for adopting an older kitty!
    When people show you who they truly are, believe them. Maya Angelou

Default COLLAR!

A collar!!!!!!! I seriously can't believe that no one has mentioned this yet!!! But the other suggestions were really god too!!

I got the idea after reading about an etsy seller who made the balls of fur into....JEWELRY. Seriously. But she talked about how she made the balls for her cat to play with before she got THAT idea.

I get balls of hair for the critters to bat around...but for me to wear? I think I'll pass!

(PS: look at HOW MUCH it COSTS! ZOMG)
    Creepy. Showed it to my daughter whose cat sheds like crazy and (very tongue in cheek) suggested it as a way to make money. She was disgusted by the whole idea as only a teenager can be.

One of our cats loved the plastic rings from gallon milk jugs. Another liked a tassle he ripped off a throw - carried it around in his mouth so it looked like a bushy moustache.

Good for you for adopting an older cat - there are so many sweet kitties out there on death row.

Anyone want to place bets on the OP coming home with TWO?

There's a guy who makes jewelry "stones" out of trimmed hooves

The plastic milk/oj jug rings do make great toys, but be careful - almost all my cats love to chew them and try to eat them.

NO RUBBER BANDS. Keep them out of reach. Cats like to eat them and that is bad bad.

We have hardwood floors, and as such have several area rugs. Some of those had (!) tassels on them. The tassels are now, well, not

Re: collars and flea treatments: IMVHO, don't use either unless very necessary. Cats can get hung up and strangled with collars, even the ones designed to break or stretch off. Flea treatments can be nasty things, so just make sure it's the lesser of 2 evils before using them.

I'm so glad you started this thread! I also am planning on bringing home a kitty this week. I have been shopping around and will probably end up bringing him/her home on Thursday or Friday (I haven't decided on one yet!). This is a very helpful thread, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by lcw579 View Post
    Anyone want to place bets on the OP coming home with TWO?
    Ha! DH would go insane - it took some time for him to warm up to the idea of cat-ness in the house...

A soft kitteh bed, or some fleece throw blankets!

These will encourage the new kitteh to sleep/lay somewhere else than your nice couch/comforter/pillow/etc....

I have them over the backs of all my couches a at the foot of my bed. Saves on having to constantly be cleaning hair off your things.

Also a slicker brush. Even short haired kittehs need to be brushed. Mine will get dandruffy skin if I don't.

Oh and mine can't live without these: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...FZWM5godeCzI-w

(As a bonus you can also use them as horse ear plugs)

Get Pill Pockets, the small size, and give one a night before bed. They are *soft* and you can pull them apart into 4 little pieces if you want to prolong the delight they are very, very yummy, and invaluable for hiding small pills if that need arises. SO much easier than catching, holding, and stuffing.

Default new cat

Thanks for saving one! You might need to transition to the new food. I use wood pellets for litter. More ecological than clay, I love it, never smells. Same as I use in the barn..bedding pellets. I dump it over the fence into the "forever wild", it composts readily.
    On a personal note, I work at a "kill" shelter. Why do we kill? Because we get 7000 cats per year and there will never be 7000 adopters. We never turn an animal away. People come to us from all over the state because the "no kill" shelters are full. We are good at adoptions. It's a problem that we didn't cause...thanks again for saving one.

HPFarmette - I hear you on the "kill shelters." I did some volunteering at the local shelter in the past, and it was ridiculous the number of animals that came through there. I'm also tired of how inane some rescue requirements are. I have young children, but they've been around a lot of animals (the five and two year old even ride!) and know very well how to behave around them - they're not tail-pulling brats. My husband is a stay at home father; someone will be home with the animals all day. We have a fenced backyard. I was raised with cats, show dogs, and horses. I've worked with vets, small and large animal. But for some reason I'm not a good adopter because my kids might potentially annoy poor Fluffy. My family's dogs and cats will have the big job of being happy companion animals - and a lovely kitty from the shelter will fill that niche perfectly!

One of my ILs recently got a puppy for her kids - from a backyard "Cockapoo" breeder. She went on and on about how the Cockapoo combined the "intelligence of the cocker spaniel with the beauty of the poodle" (this straight from the breeder) and how this was the perfect thing for her family... it drove me nuts. I refuse to support that kind of stuff.

Rant over. So excited to go pick out the new addition tomorrow!