The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default POULTICE RECIPE FOR HOOF ABSCESS?

Does anyone have a good mix for a poultice for a hoof abscess? It's been so long since I had a horse with an abscess, I can't remember! It's a right hind foot and looks like it hit the coronet band on the outer side. Seems I have no Animal Lintex hanging around. Used to use comfry leaves.

Would appreciate your trusted methods please. Tried soaking in epsom salts tonight but she would have none of it. I need to wrap her foot up. Thanks so much!
    Dark Horse Farm

I have a rescued clydesdale mare that constantly gets abcesses. Now THAT is a foot to wrap!

I use two different poultices, depending on where the abcess is. If it is on the skin, I use Epsom Salt poultice (Valley Vet has it). So, coronary band on up. You can also take epsom salts and make a paste with water and apply.

If on the hoof then ichthammol works for me.

Good luck!
    Horse Feathers Farm

For burst abscesses I use Calendula Soak, then inject clean Calendula oil/water into the opening and lastly will pack the opening with Calendula ointment and wrap. I also give the homeopathic remedy Silicea 200c -- just one dose only -- to resolve the abscess. Takes about 3 days for it all to clear up.
    --Gwen <><
    "Treat others as you want to be treated and be the change you want to see in the world."
    http://www.thepenzancehorse.com

My vet recommends using sugar and betadine with gauze to apply. You use just enough betadine to hold the sugar together and it seems to work! I have one on my mare right now hoping that an abcess is all it is..

Animalintex pads. Pad, diaper, vetrap, duct tape. Change twice a day. Abscess should blow by the third day. I don't full around with anything else these days because they work THAT good.

Quote Originally Posted by KateD View Post
    My vet recommends using sugar and betadine with gauze to apply. You use just enough betadine to hold the sugar together and it seems to work! I have one on my mare right now hoping that an abcess is all it is..
    To burst an abscess????? I've been recommended sugardine for thrush or already blown abscesses that are draining but never to get one to burst. Sugardine dries stuff out so I'm not sure how it would work on an abscess

Yep, my vet has recommended sugardine as well.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

I always use ichthammol, an old sock and duct tape. Works great.
    Let us ride together; blowing mane and hair; careless of the weather; miles ahead of care...Fat Cat Farm Sport Horses

As far as the soak goes....I have two horses with abcesses right now, one a yearling colt. He was having none of putting his foot in a tub and leaving it there. I found a boot at the tack store that velcros around the foot and pastern and you add water and epsom salts (or whatever you use) and don't have to worry about a clunky tub! They can walk around in the stall, etc. So much easier, I will find the name if anyone is interested.

Just got home from work, done with chores, now for my hoof experiment. She actually looks better today, putting more weight on it...looks like a partial ooze off the top of the side coronet band.

Lots of great ideas, thanks so much. The hoof cup sounds very convenient, must buy one for future dilemnas. Right now I think I'm going with rodawn's remedy. I don't have mineral oil but is water okay with a little Betadine? I'm making it warm. 12 hours suits me fine.

Never heard of Ichthammal. Googled it, sounds great. I live in Canada so I hope I can get it here.

Will update when episode is over...thanks guys!
    Dark Horse Farm

Quote Originally Posted by jaimebaker View Post
    To burst an abscess????? I've been recommended sugardine for thrush or already blown abscesses that are draining but never to get one to burst. Sugardine dries stuff out so I'm not sure how it would work on an abscess
    Yep! I honestly just took there word for it, I honestly don't think there is an abscess in there but everytime I see them treating a horse with a potential abscess that is what they say. Its cheaper than animalintex and I am only going to continue one more day - hoping we get further results on my xrays. If nothing comes up I will switch the poultice!

If you want a good homemade recipe, find some plantain leaves (not the banana type plantain, the kind that grow ALLL over the place like weeds). Take a bunch and rip the leaves up to let the juices out. Boil the leaves, then after cleaning the coronet band, place the warm leaves directly on the wound and any swollen areas, cover with gauze and vetwrap. Repeat daily. This also is an amazing poultice for any kind of swelling/inflammation. My aunt told me about it when my horse got an abcess that was coming out the back of his heel. When the vet came out to check on it, he said "I dont' know what you are doing, but it's working!" The heat helped pull the abcess out, and the plaintain helps with the inflammation and keeps the wound clean and healed up very quickly.
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

Quote Originally Posted by BansheeBreeze View Post
    If you want a good homemade recipe, find some plantain leaves (not the banana type plantain, the kind that grow ALLL over the place like weeds). Take a bunch and rip the leaves up to let the juices out. Boil the leaves, then after cleaning the coronet band, place the warm leaves directly on the wound and any swollen areas, cover with gauze and vetwrap. Repeat daily. This also is an amazing poultice for any kind of swelling/inflammation. My aunt told me about it when my horse got an abcess that was coming out the back of his heel. When the vet came out to check on it, he said "I dont' know what you are doing, but it's working!" The heat helped pull the abcess out, and the plaintain helps with the inflammation and keeps the wound clean and healed up very quickly.
    Love Plantain! We use it here as topical for all sorts of boo-boo's but especially bee stings. Takes the sting right out within minutes and reduces inflammation, too, almost immediately. It was also the only thing that would help my QH with his heaves and this year fed it to my PMU for 3 days (she had massive hives) and in less than a week all hives gone and no more "sweet itch". We actually encourage this weed's growth in the garden so we'll have plenty if needed.

It's a GREAT 'weed' !!

Here's a link to its medicinal properties: http://www.altnature.com/gallery/plantain.htm
    --Gwen <><
    "Treat others as you want to be treated and be the change you want to see in the world."
    http://www.thepenzancehorse.com

Last abcess the vet made a "leave-on" soak/poultice. Loved It!!!

Cut/tear a square section of cotton batting (or a diaper works great too, I keep "little Swimmers" on hand), big enough to cover the bottom of the hoof and wrap up above the coronet;

Cup the cotton in your hand and,

Pour approx 1/2 cup of Epsom salts into the "cup" of the cotton/diaper;

Apply onto the bottom of the hoof, folding the edges up around the hoof;

Wrap with Vetrap to hold in place - here's the trick - leave a bit of a gap around the top of the cotton, don't wrap too tightly;

Cover the whole thing with Duct tape, again don't "seal" the top.

Now turn on the hose and let the water seep down into the wrap (that's why you left the top loose). Or fill a small bucket and pour the water in.

You now have a "leave-on" soaking boot.
    I used this on a horse that lived out. I filled the "boot" with water 2-3 times a day to soak the Epsom salts. He walked around with it on and it lasted 24 hours at a time and no messing with buckets, etc.
    You're entitled to your own opinion, not your own facts!