The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Wayne County horses

Hi All-

I just happened into an 8 y.o. gelding by Wayne County who started his career racing over fences (too slow), was sent to be trained as a show hunter (ended up being exploited as a lesson horse), went home to decompress for a few months and is now in my barn...I am hoping to use him as a first- flight field hunter.

So far I find him to have a pretty decent brain, to be reasonably mellow, but a bit of a worrier in certain situations. He' s nicely built (huge bone for a modern day TB!) and beautiful feet...

Just looking for input from anyone with experience working with Wayne County horses for different disciplines....anyone, anyone??

I don't know any Wayne County horses, but I did have a grandson of Sadler's Wells (as is your horse).
    My horse's dam was by Sadler's Wells. My horse had the most beautiful mind. I always thought it came through the Sadler's Wells line. And I talked to someone who owned the full sister to my horse's dam. She said that mare had a wonderful mind, too.
    Oddly, I thought about Wayne County recently and wondered if any of his offspring were around.
    Good luck with your guy. Think he'll turn out fine.

Thanks for the post. He' s extremely mellow in the barn and to school on his own..."group therapy" (big trail rides, schooling rings at horse shows) are stressful at this point...but this guy DID race over fences; its been a few years but it just might take lots more going out in groups and never having it result in a race for him to finally relax and figure out that there' s nothing to worry about. And HOLY COW can he jump!

Is he the '03 model out of a Press Card mare?

~Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries