The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anything new on pop rocks (cheapo ulcer treatment)

I did a thirty day treatment on my horse earlier this year. He seemed to be more willing to move forward and just overall happier under saddle. Last week he bucked, the little monkey. Thinking I might try another treatment.

Anyone have recent experiences with treatment or ordering, good or bad?

Can someone post the link to the ordering source?
    friend of bar.ka

Why don't you check out abler.com for ordering the generic gastro-guard? It's one heck of a lot cheaper than the "real" thing and works just as well. Just remember that it takes a while to ship....
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

Here you go: http://equine.omeprazoledirect.com/

My guy did the 30 day, three sachets a day, treatment as well. Now, I have him on one sachet a day for about 20 days, and then he'll get them as needed. If you suddenly cease treatment, acid reflux can kick back in with a vengeance, which may be what your horse is going through. Try cutting back gradually, instead of cold turkey.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

The "abler" stuff is the same as the blue pop rocks.

Keebler is on one pack a couple of times a week and so far is handling his stall rest with beatific serenity.
    Click here before you buy.

Like DW, I use one pack a day, as needed (in times of stress) and it has been wonderful. I did an initial run of 30 days.

To go from 3 packs a day to nothing would not be good, I think? I took omeprazole for humans, and your stomach gets used to it and would overcompensate with too much acid unless I weaned off slowly. Don't know if horses are the same but don't want to push it either. I've heard that theory and think it makes sense.

I like the blue pop rocks, they make treatment affordable. I don't have to hem and haw on tossing him a pack because I'm worried about cost, the same way I would with Gastroguard.

Just to add that rebound acid over-production is POSSIBLE with stopping PPIs, but not a certain thing. Always good to be very respectful of pharmaceuticals and to realize that one size does not fit all.

OP here. Thanks all. His treatment was last February, and I DID wean him off gradually. He has not been getting any since then, but he has been getting SmartGut and an ulcer friendly diet and turnout. But he is showing some old traits like stiffness under saddle and not as happy to go forward, then when he does go forward, some spurtiness in his pace. Then, as I said, he bucked last week.

Maybe an ulcery horse needs a more constant routine of omeprazole. I will re-treat, then try a more regular maintenance program with it.
    friend of bar.ka

I've got some pop rocks on order. I did a quick-and-dirty treatment w/ omeprazole paste (UG at GG dose for a week, then tapering off) and my horse seems much happier, but he's been out of work for another issue as well, and I made sure there was no stress during the shortened treatment. I'm thinking I'll try pop rocks maybe every third day or so, and then every day in times of stress, along with carrying some UlcerGard whenever we travel.

Does that sound reasonable? Any possible issues w/ rebound if giving once very few days?
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

I'm sure I'm missing something here - what are blue pop rocks?

Jo, that is a COTH-specific slang term for enteric-coated omeprazole granules sold by www.omeprazoledirect.com. They look like little blue pop rocks.

monstr, the odds of rebound acid production go up with longer duration and higher doses of PPIs. The risk is lowest with intermittent, low dosage. (well, the risk is lowest if you NEVER use a PPI, but you get my drift . . .)

Thanks delta. For a second, I thought people were feeding their horse actual Pop Rocks candy and it was freaking my freak!

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Just to add that rebound acid over-production is POSSIBLE with stopping PPIs, but not a certain thing. Always good to be very respectful of pharmaceuticals and to realize that one size does not fit all.
    I just finished a course of Rx omeprazole myself so I was a little worried about this, but it's been three days and I'm fine. I did take ranitidine a few times, though I don't know why because I was taking it before going on the omeprazole and it didn't help at all.

As for the pop rocks, I recently ordered another 100 sachets. They arrived quickly. My neurotic horse is living on 1 sachet a day. If he has a stressful day, such as me trying to get him on a horse trailer, or the neighbors shooting off fireworks, he requires two packages.

Quote Originally Posted by Jo View Post
    Thanks delta. For a second, I thought people were feeding their horse actual Pop Rocks candy and it was freaking my freak!
    Don't feel bad, I was wondering the same thing! I've never really dealt with a horse with ulcers before (at least not in the last few years that I've known they were a thing) but my recently colicked horse was also diagnosed with them so I'm doing some reading. I missed that slang term, though!

Actually, while I'm here (I'll start a new thread if you guys think that would be better): Said Colic Horse lost probably 300 pounds during his short illness. We're still not sure if it was bacterial or what, it presented like colic but clearly wasn't the typical impaction/gas/twisted gut you usually think of. He was pooping the whole time but it was liquid, was very sick on and off (high temp, feverish). When we scoped him during part of the "OMG what is wrong with you horse!!!" period we discovered some pretty significant ulcers.

We were going to start him on GastroGuard probably next week (vet didn't think the ulcers were the cause of his illness and wanted to make sure he recovers before we start introducing new meds) but if I can I'd like to do the generic stuff instead--he isn't actually mine but I'm liable for vet bills because we're in this weird gray area where I just started the process of placing a lien on him, but we've got at least another month before he's actually mine. So, minimizing vet bills are definitely my priority especially because I just put about $800 into him last week.

So, my question is...he's normally around 1100 pounds but dropped down to about 900. Which weight should I treat him for? I know with most meds you would do it for their actual weight, but I'm not sure how ulcer treatment works.

I'm going to consult my vet again before I actually order or give him anything, too, but I don't know how up-to-date they are in some regards.

OP - my gelding went through the same thing your gelding did. I treated him last year with GG for two months, and then kept him on SmartGut and feed him alfalfa cubes. He got rescoped this year due to similar behavior to yours - bucking, cold-backed, etc and yes, he had a reoccurence of ulcers, worse than before. Didn't make sense to me as he didn't show the symptoms he showed the first time (weight loss, colicky symptoms, poor do-er). However, the scope doesn't lie, so hence the treatment this time with the pop rocks (they look more like Nerds to me, btw).

@ deltawave - that's why I said "if" and "can". I know that in my personal case, when I stopped the human omeprazole suddenly, I hurt worse than before, so it would make sense that my gelding might experience the same thing. But, of course, as you said, we all have different reactions to drugs, human, equine, or otherwise. I'm glad you mentioned that Keebler is doing well on a reduced, intermittent regimine, as that gives me hope that Oliver will do well on the pop rocks three times a week. He's currently on one sachet a day in hopes that he won't have acid rebound like he might have, last time.

I'm just thankful that we have a less expensive alternative to the obscenely expensive GG!
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

I am slowly stepping down my mare. She was getting one packet each day, then I started skipping Mondays. Now I'm skipping Thursdays, too. I think we'll hold there for a couple weeks, then maybe go every-other-day, unless she seems anxious.

Later this fall, when the grass is gone in her turn-out, we may go back to every day. But frankly, the extra $1.75 per day is way cheaper than what we've already been through.

Quote Originally Posted by CosMonster View Post
    Actually, while I'm here (I'll start a new thread if you guys think that would be better): Said Colic Horse lost probably 300 pounds during his short illness. We're still not sure if it was bacterial or what, it presented like colic but clearly wasn't the typical impaction/gas/twisted gut you usually think of. He was pooping the whole time but it was liquid, was very sick on and off (high temp, feverish). When we scoped him during part of the "OMG what is wrong with you horse!!!" period we discovered some pretty significant ulcers.

We were going to start him on GastroGuard probably next week (vet didn't think the ulcers were the cause of his illness and wanted to make sure he recovers before we start introducing new meds) but if I can I'd like to do the generic stuff instead--he isn't actually mine but I'm liable for vet bills because we're in this weird gray area where I just started the process of placing a lien on him, but we've got at least another month before he's actually mine. So, minimizing vet bills are definitely my priority especially because I just put about $800 into him last week.

So, my question is...he's normally around 1100 pounds but dropped down to about 900. Which weight should I treat him for? I know with most meds you would do it for their actual weight, but I'm not sure how ulcer treatment works.

I'm going to consult my vet again before I actually order or give him anything, too, but I don't know how up-to-date they are in some regards.
    Just checking .... horse isn't eating, has lost weight. Scoped and found significant ulcers. And vet wants to wait before treating them?

FWIW, my mare nearly died from peritonitis due to ulcers. Presented first as colic. She didn't poop for a couple days because there was no peristaltic action. Then she had amazing diarrhea.

Of course, YMMV. I hope so.